[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Grandaddy of all Polls.

Bushey

Best Conference  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which Conference is the best

• Pac 10
    • Big East
    • Sec
    • Big 12
    • Big 10
    • Conf. USA
    • Wac
    • Mount. West
    • Sun Belt
    • Acc
    • Mid American
    • The Charlie Weiss Conf. (NBC)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one knows who is the best. It takes competition to know that. There was no doubt that Florida was the NC of basketball the last couple years. Why, because they won every game they played in the NC tourney.

I hate to say this, but anyone arguing over conferences at this point is a fool playing the BCS game. Don't give me that "It's the closest thing to a NC system we have" nonsense either. It is the furthest away you can get from a tournament. Nothing more than a poll itself. I will argue that point all day long with anyone.

Don't want to argue, but even a playoff wouldn't stop people from having opinions. Ask yourself and be honest were the St. Louis Cardinals really the best baseball team in MLB two years ago? Heck they almost didn't make it to the National League playoffs (arguably an inferior league to the American league) and were the San Antonio Spurs really better than the Dallas Mavs were last season? The point I'm trying to make is that a playoff won't all of a sudden make everyone in agreement on who the best college football team is. All you have to do is look at the current system we have in place now where all the coaches in the BCS schools agree to vote the winner of the BCS NC game the #1 team in the nation, yet when LSU won a few years back 3 coaches voted for another team that didn't even play in the championship game and many in the media did the same.

In short, you can have a playoff to determine a winner of a tournament but not which team is the best team.

Don't want to argue, but even a playoff wouldn't stop people from having opinions. Ask yourself and be honest were the St. Louis Cardinals really the best baseball team in MLB two years ago? Heck they almost didn't make it to the National League playoffs (arguably an inferior league to the American league) and were the San Antonio Spurs really better than the Dallas Mavs were last season? The point I'm trying to make is that a playoff won't all of a sudden make everyone in agreement on who the best college football team is. All you have to do is look at the current system we have in place now where all the coaches in the BCS schools agree to vote the winner of the BCS NC game the #1 team in the nation, yet when LSU won a few years back 3 coaches voted for another team that didn't even play in the championship game and many in the media did the same.

In short, you can have a playoff to determine a winner of a tournament but not which team is the best team.

I gotta say I agree with this post. It seems to me the only solution is to reward the team that gets it done on the field instead of speculationg which team is better even thought they lost a game or two. :D

Don't want to argue, but even a playoff wouldn't stop people from having opinions. I agree with this point, but at least you would have an undisputed champ via tournament.

In short, you can have a playoff to determine a winner of a tournament but not which team is the best team. Dude, this statement makes no sense.

The whole point of a tourney IS to find out who is best. Being best means that you win the contest under any circumstances. This is the best way to eliminate excuses. The Cardinals may have made the playoffs under the radar in 2006, but they whipped the Tigers in the World Series. They were the best. The Spurs were not the most dominating team in the regular season, but everyone knew that they would turn it on in the playoffs. They crushed the competition. In almost every sport, including little league, we get to see who is crowned champ except for college football. Why, because college football doesn'nt have to. There are enough people in this country who accept this POS system. I have news for those folks, you have no champion. You have the homecoming Queen. Yay!

In short, you can have a playoff to determine a winner of a tournament but not which team is the best team. Dude, this statement makes no sense

Does Tiger Woods win every tournament in golf. :D

Tiger will go down in history as the or close to the best golfer ever because of the amount of majors he has won. You are comparing apples and oranges. He is an individual. College football teams must play as one to win. Your definition of THE BEST is different than mine I guess. If LSU gets jumped and misses out on the NC, you will be ok with that? I guess you will still think they are the BEST then?

We are all being cheated by the lack of a playoff system. Look at how exciting March Madness is. There is something great about college sports, and not having a playoff system is cheating us out of some incredible & exciting sports action. It will change someday, and we will all realize what we had been missing. At least, that is my hope, and I hope it is sooner rather than later.

We are all being cheated by the lack of a playoff system. Look at how exciting March Madness is. There is something great about college sports, and not having a playoff system is cheating us out of some incredible & exciting sports action. It will change someday, and we will all realize what we had been missing. At least, that is my hope, and I hope it is sooner rather than later.

:D

Tiger will go down in history as the or close to the best golfer ever because of the amount of majors he has won. You are comparing apples and oranges. He is an individual. College football teams must play as one to win. Your definition of THE BEST is different than mine I guess. If LSU gets jumped and misses out on the NC, you will be ok with that? I guess you will still think they are the BEST then?

It's pretty obvious we both have different definitions of the word BEST when used in this discussion. If Tiger Woods enters a tournament like the 2008 US Open and some one beats him I don't consider that golfer the BEST in golf . Just like I didn't think the St. Louis Cardinals were the best team in baseball when they won the World Series. However I would recognize that golfer always as the 2008 US Open Champion and the St. Louis Cardinals as the 2006 World Series Champions.

I've played enough sports to know that on any given day a team can have an off day much like Ohio State did last season while another team is having a great game like Florida did. All I am saying is that I'm much more comfortable calling Florida the NCAA Champions than I am the BEST college football team.

Heck we all know who the BEST college football team was at the end of last season. Geaux Tigers! :D

Edited by Rockerbraves