[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mark Schlereth's top 5 RB rankings

Randall

How can one argue who is better, when no one knows if we are talking "NFL value," fantasy PPR, or fantasy non-PPR?

He just said RB power rankings.

Floyd Reese's rankings

AP

LT

Addai

FWP

Portis

im a homer.. would take parker over bush.. bush isnt going to get any tough yards up the middle or be a significant blocker. he's a better receiver, but not overall runner.

Put him behind the Steelers line and see.

Well, that's nice, but he's still averaging well under 4 yds/carry for the year (while Parker is at like 4.2, even after getting stuffed last night). Bush is a nice back who's getting better, but he still has a way to go in between the tackles, IMO. Parker has a better combination of power and speed.

Marshawn Lynch should easily crack that Top 5. That dude's a beast and it's too bad that he's wasting away on a terrible offense. I'd also put Edgerrin over Bush. Dude has MUCH better vision. Put him behind a halfway decent line and he's probably a Top 5-7 back.

You were doing ok until you brought Edge into the mix. There is no chance in he-ll Edge is top 5-7 with or without a good O-line.

Anybody comparing Bush to Parker needs to put their breaks on. Until two weeks ago Bush hadn't had a run over 18 yards. He may be as fast in the 40 as Parker, but Bush has quite a bit of work to do on the football field. Not many are higher on Bush than I am, but he isn't yet near Parker's value.

My top 6 as far as impact players at the running back position, with the emphasis being on overall talent:

Adrian

Westbrook

LT

S. Jackson

M. Barber

J. Addai (couldn't stop at 5, Addai deserves to be on the list)

In two years, if we make this list again, both DeAngelo and Bush will be on it.

You were doing ok until you brought Edge into the mix. There is no chance in he-ll Edge is top 5-7 with or without a good O-line.

Based on what? The fact that he was consistently a Top 5-7 guy for the vast majority of his career? I haven't seen much of a performance hit and, IIRC, he's only 29. Put Edge back on the Colts and he's a Top 5 guy again.

no way - if you are talking pure skill- it is AP all day long. The only reason LT could be ahead of him as a pure runner is bc of his experience. AP is the most talented RB in the league. period.

I haven't seen enough of the kid perhaps but I feel that line does a majority of the work and almost always gets to the second level. :D

LT is one of the best RBs ever in the NFL, let's remember that.

Based on what? The fact that he was consistently a Top 5-7 guy for the vast majority of his career? I haven't seen much of a performance hit and, IIRC, he's only 29. Put Edge back on the Colts and he's a Top 5 guy again.

"Based on what?" is really my question to you.

The majority of his career you refer to is long since gone. He's had a major knee surgery and like you say, he's 29 which is definitely an age when RBs slow down. He may have great vision and excellent receiving skills, but he has very little burst, no breakaway speed, and never did have a great ability to make people miss.

Indy's offense made Edge - not the other way around.

"Based on what?" is really my question to you.

The majority of his career you refer to is long since gone. He's had a major knee surgery and like you say, he's 29 which is definitely an age when RBs slow down.

Uh, no, RBs don't automatically fall apart at 29. You're thinking of 32. Edge is just under 4 yds/carry, is on pace for over 1,200 yds rushing, and has crossed the stripe 5 times behind a below-average Cardinals O-line. His career is a good 2-3 years from being over.

He may have great vision and excellent receiving skills, but he has very little burst, no breakaway speed, and never did have a great ability to make people miss.

Indy's offense made Edge - not the other way around.

So since the Colts "made" Edge, I suppose that we can knock Addai out of the Top 5 as well, since he's just a product of the system as well. :D

Edge rushed for 1,500 yds just two years ago, in the prime of his career, several years AFTER the torn ACL and still lacking that burst and breakaway speed. He rushed for over 1,150 yds behind an absolutely awful O-line last year. I'd like to have seen what Reggie "Hype Machine" Bush would've done on that team, given that his 3.4 yds/carry last year were laughably low in comparison to Deuce's 4.3.

Uh, no, RBs don't automatically fall apart at 29. You're thinking of 32. Edge is just under 4 yds/carry, is on pace for over 1,200 yds rushing, and has crossed the stripe 5 times behind a below-average Cardinals O-line. His career is a good 2-3 years from being over.

So since the Colts "made" Edge, I suppose that we can knock Addai out of the Top 5 as well, since he's just a product of the system as well. :D

Edge rushed for 1,500 yds just two years ago, in the prime of his career, several years AFTER the torn ACL and still lacking that burst and breakaway speed. He rushed for over 1,150 yds behind an absolutely awful O-line last year. I'd like to have seen what Reggie "Hype Machine" Bush would've done on that team, given that his 3.4 yds/carry last year were laughably low in comparison to Deuce's 4.3.

Why do you hate Bush, therefore America? :D

Edge shouldn't have been mentioned in this thread. You need to be able to average 4 YPC to be considered elite I would think. Edge was great, I'm not going to go as far as to say that Indy made him, but he clearly is not the back he was a few years ago. He runs hard between the tackles but can't influence a game like he once could.

Edge shouldn't have been mentioned in this thread. You need to be able to average 4 YPC to be considered elite I would think. Edge was great, I'm not going to go as far as to say that Indy made him, but he clearly is not the back he was a few years ago. He runs hard between the tackles but can't influence a game like he once could.

How many RBs have averaged 4 yds/carry in ARI over the past four or five years? Geez, just look at how far Thomas Jones' numbers went up after he left.

And that's not to say that Edge is necessarily an elite back, just that he's still better than Mr. Hype.

Edited by Bill Swerski

If Mr. Hype is Reggie Bush, you are crazy. The Hawks have played both this season. Edge was boring and prodding, Bush was explosive and scary. I'm not sure how you determine the rankings, but one has a major influence on games, the other does not. One makes you gameplan against him, the other does not. Edge has the benefit of two great wide receivers on his team. Without them creating room, he goes nowhere. Sorry I don't have any facts or anecdotes to back this up. I watch football instead.