[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just realized I sincerely despise the Patriots

Swiss Cheezhead

I haven't always hated the Patriots. On the contrary, in 2001, I rooted for them and their young 6th-round QB, and I loved the story of them winning the SuperBowl.

In the last couple of years, though, I've realized that the Patriots aren't really a football team at all.

They're a cult.

I know what you're thinking: "Ya know...Belichick has always reminded me of Charles Manson..."

Look how he's turned all of his players into little puppets. They're just a bunch of robots -- all programmed with Belichick's expansive library of canned answers. Every legitimate question has at least one completely lame, utterly uninteresting and ultimately dishonest respone. Are we REALLY supposed to believe Tom "Mini-Bill" Brady's little rant after the Colts game? "It doesn't matter. Really. It doesn't matter. It matters in January." Hey, Tom -- does home-field advantage in the AFC playoffs matter? Because that's what you just played for, genius! The entire team is too consumed with the anti-media, diffuse-every-storyline, never-express-opinions attitude that they seriously can't answer ANY questions honestly.

I just don't know how they keep a straight face. I mean, the way they toe the line so perfectly, it's like they're international diplomats being asked to comment on a multi-nation nuclear standoff. It's a freaking football game, not a congressional interrogation.

In all seriousness, even if you disagree with the notion that Belichick is insane and evil, you have to acknowledge that he's downright unlikable.

He's purposely evasive with the media, just because he thinks it's cool to be coy. That act has gotten REALLY old.

He makes a constant effort to keep his own injury report inaccurate, just because he thinks it's rebellious. In reality, it's the same thing as flipping your parents the middle finger...once you're in your room behind a closed door.

He goes out of his way to look ridiculous on the sideline in his Reebok gear, just because he thinks he's making a statement. Does he realize that sponsors like Reebok essentially pay his salary? And it's not like it's crappy stuff -- it's well-made, good-looking clothes. What the hell is he trying to prove?

And, oh yeah...he cheated. Maybe insignifcantly, but very blatantly. Then he insulted everyone's intelligence by saying his "interpretation of the rule" was different than the commissioner's. And that's not even counting the cheating on his wife (did you think I wasn't going to mention that?).

I don't know if it was his experience with Parcells or his horrible time in Cleveland. All I know is that he's bitter, and he's got a huge chip on his shoulder. He's allowed football to absolutely consume his life -- but his burning need to prove himself has incinerated every last shred of joy that football can bring.

I think that's basically my problem with him and his team. They take themselves too seriously and forget that they're playing a fun game of incredible teamwork. I want to ENJOY watching football, which is much easier when you get the impression the professionals are enjoying themselves, too.

It's honestly no fun watching Belichick and the Pats, even when they're playing amazingly choreographed football. I might as well be a world-renowned hand surgeon piece together a mangled mess of metatarsals. Yawn.

Don't get me wrong; I'm impressed by their success. Belichick has one of the greatest football minds of all time.

And it's his mind power that has created this extremely focused and united group of men. But when you add in their constant negativity and their isolation from the rest of the football world...isn't that the definition of a"cult"? They're a totally cohesive group of individuals who only care about the collective goal -- to a fault. None of them really seem happy about it, and now they're intent on spreading the misery around to others as well.

Whatever the consequences, that remarkable unity is the biggest reason they've won half of the last six championships.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you sell your soul.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

I haven't always hated the Patriots. On the contrary, in 2001, I rooted for them and their young 5th-round QB

Wow that was really really long. I made it this far and then quit. Brady was a 6th round pick (199 overall). I'm happy you hate a football team so much you decided to write a book about it. I look forward to seeing it at my local Barnes and Noble.

If your QB leads your team in rushing TD's, can you win a Super Bowl without a running game? 1984 Dolphins come to mind. They beat the Bears in the regular season but could not make it to the Super Bowl. Does anyone see a parallel of this years Pats to the '84 Dolphins?

Its easy to hate a WiNNER......heck, have hated the Yankees my whole life........!!! I know outside of New England, EVERYONE hates the Pats....and probably Sox.....in my opinion, thats a sign of respect.....NO ONE looks the front runner, unless your home town team....!

Watched the Pats game in Vegas this weekend....BEST thing was that 90% of the fans at Caesar's were Colts, decked out in their Manning.....Freeney spamshirts....Cheering and screaming in the first half for everything that the Pats were doing wrong.... we just sat there, not saying a word, knowing that the team still has Brady......

Course, was a different second half.....all the Colts whopping turned to deathly silience, and it was great watching the dejected Manning spamshirts flood the strip after surrendering their lead, and the game.....

The Patriots have become quite the polarizing team this season. As a lifelong fan, I hadnt noticed until just this year how 'despised' theve become. Mainly because it was only recently that they actually became 'despised'. Up to this point, they were just another blue-collar type 3-time champion that pretty much flew under the radar. Im sure there were plenty who were a little jealous toward them for winning some titles. Its real easy to hate a team on top. Especially when the team's best player is a 'pretty-boy' QB. Funny thing is, theyre really not even on top. On top of what?? ESPN's power rankings?? Are they gonna get a Lombardi Trophy for that? On top of the AFC East thru 9 weeks without a little symbol next to their team name that identifies a clinched division winner. Theyre on top of the week 9 standings. And that's it. Theyve still got 7 games to go and a playoff stretch with absolutely NO guarantees. Noone is handing them squat. The fact that some of the players point out this obvious fact shouldnt bother people. Theyve accomplised exactly none of their goals to this point. Why get excited? Theyre undefeated? Brilliant! We've seen this before from other teams hat folded like a tent. Tom Brady isnt going to say otherwise NOT because he's being directed by higher authority, but because its TRUE. Theyve accomplised nothing. They acknowledged the Colts' was a big game and a big win. Theyre not going to dwell on it. They dont want to give all of the reporters the meat and potatoes theyre all looking for. Part of their strategy this year is CLEARLY to not give other teams anything to use as motivation. No words thru the media. No words of overconfidence. No words that can be misinterpreted as overconfidence or looking past on opponent. Basically, they have actual RESPECT for their opponents. They dont say SQUAT until they go out and play, and let their play pretty much do all the talking. WHY would anyone have a problem with that?? Theyre doing the same things they do every other year. They dont say much, typically. More now than before because of all the requests. But really limited considering. They play hard and physical and occasionally dirty. They try and intimidate opponents. They score alot and the other team dont. They usually win. Funny, how pissed people get when usually is replaced by ALWAYS.

What's kind of sad imo is that the CULT that's actually been formed has been this funny little following of DESPISERS. Up unti this year, the NE fans have always been loyal, the players have always been vanilla and relative unknowns, and noone on the outside really ever liked Belichick. But there's of course a HUGE difference in simply not being liked and being downright despised. Its the 'despising' that's Cult-like. As an example, I couldnt imagine posting such a long-winded opinion piece on some team OTHER than my own. Why not? No, WHY? Why would I possibly care about some other team so much? What would be my fascination? Who here is selling their soul? The team thats completely committed to winning at a time when their entire legacy has been challenged because of the cheating scandal?? Or the group completely throwing human beings completely under the bus without remorse for doing so? Those guys are just trying to win and prove a point. Its a reasonable goal. What kind of point comes from DESPISING something as insignificant as another football team of which youre not even a fan? What would the goal be? Talk about Cults. That opening post is your application to the club. And by the looks of it you'll be readily accepted. But its not too late to make sense of this thing for you. Tear that thing up. All will be forgiven. There's really no need to despise. Its your choice. Youve got a great team there yourself. Stick to just LOVING those guys!

Edited by hitch

Take last weeks game. Belichick probably slept at Gilette stadium every night leading up to the game working 20 hours a day on his game plan. Maybe dungy went home every night to have dinner with his family.

Why does that make Belichick a bad guy. If you owned a business would you not want to hire the guy that is going to go the extra mile to give you success. Its dog eat dog. You gotta work while the other guy is sleeping to gain the advantage.

They took it a little too far with the camera thing, but I think people are making this out to be a bigger deal than it was. With or without the spying this team would still be 9-0.

I dobut they fo undefeated. Just too hard to do, if not impossible. Steeler game should be a geat test. But it would not suprise if someone like Buffalo knocked them off in primetime. They have the target on their back now.

blah, blah, blah...I hate the Pats...blah, blah, blah...Belichick is the anti-christ...blah, blah, blah

You need to get a new writer. Your schtick is getting old.

As a Pats fan you got to love all these media outlets slamming the Pats and all the bandwagon anti-Pat fans suckin it in. The team must be loving it they keep adding fuel to the fire and the team is feeding off it. I can hear BB speech at the end of the SB thanking all the current coaches, ex coaches, and media outlets for bringing his team to the SB. Like Howie Long said if you want to beat the Patriots, SHUTUP!!

Are we REALLY supposed to believe Tom "Mini-Bill" Brady's little rant after the Colts game? "It doesn't matter. Really. It doesn't matter. It matters in January."

Would you rather a humble Patriots team or a bunch of guys signalling for a first down after a catch when they are down by 20, or guys who choreograph 20 minute dance routines to enter the stadium.

The Patriots care about football, not the sideshow that comes along with it. Who cares if they want to keep their injuries from the rest of the league, sure it impacts Fantasy rosters but the Patriots don't care about that. They are concerned with learning as much as they can about an oopponnent so they can beat them and limiting what an opponent can learn about them so they won't get beat.

:D Classic. You guys make it easy. :D

I'm sorry if Belichick's job of winning football games is impacting your fantasy life. He is paid to win football games. He is not paid to be nice to the media or to look good. All he needs to do is prepare his team to play football to the best of his abilities. If you don't like the way he does things, that's fine. But if you know he is like this don't pick guys like Maroney and expect them to carry your team.

I'm sorry if Belichick's job of winning football games is impacting your fantasy life. He is paid to win football games. He is not paid to be nice to the media or to look good. All he needs to do is prepare his team to play football to the best of his abilities. If you don't like the way he does things, that's fine. But if you know he is like this don't pick guys like Maroney and expect them to carry your team.

Wrong. He is paid to entertain me and sell a product. Winning football games isnt the only factor that goes into selling a team image. Do you really think the Pats ownership wants everyone outside of New England to hate the Pats?

Wrong. He is paid to entertain me and sell a product. Winning football games isnt the only factor that goes into selling a team image. Do you really think the Pats ownership wants everyone outside of New England to hate the Pats?

No he isn't. He is paid to win football games. The NFL packages the product (by adjusting rules to make the game attractive, getting rid of detriments like Pacman, etc).

I am sure he will say the Marketing people are responsible for selling the team image. His job is to win football games. Also having vanilla players who act like robots don't hurt a team's image. What hurts a team image is a bunch of felons getting arrested every week. I doubt Rae Carruth's jersey is doing too much in jersey sales these days.