[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

thanksgiving plans

Bier Meister

i have posted all of these before, but thought i'd compile them. love to here what you guys are doing.

going home to sf. i'll be cooking all day on thurs (tv in kitchen).

going to do:

basic turkey

sausage stuffing with dried cherries and apples

cream of mushroom or roasted butternut/green apple soup

bourbon/orange cranberries

black russian pie

edit: turkey is fairly versitile... a lot of wines go well with it: chard, viognier, dry roses, pinot noir

basic turkey:

1 14-16 lb turkey (thawed)

2-3 tbs olive oil

1 C + 2 tbs butter (2 1/4 sticks- 1/4 inch dice)

2 tbs minced thyme

2 tbs minced rosemary

2 tbs minced sage

2 tbs parsley

10 C chricken broth

3 C diced onion (1/2 inch)

2 C diced carrot (1/2 inch)

2 C diced celery (1/2 inch)

2 lemons (halved)

S&P

preheat oven to 425. remove neck, gizzards, etc. rinse tureky inside and out. pat dry. create a pocket between meat and skin. rub whole bird with olive oil, salt, and pepper. mix thyme, parsely, sage, rosemary in a small bowl. evenly distribute in the pocket and outside of the bird.... if you need more make more evenly distribute about 1/2 C of butter inside those pockets. stuff the bird with 1 C onion, 1 C carrot, 1 C celery, and 2 lemons. tuck legs under and tie legs (trousing).

roast for about 20-30 min, reduce temp to 350. cook 30 min.. pour 1 cup of broth over turkey. add abut 1 tbs of butter to roasting pan. cook 30 min. baste with pan drippings. pour another C of broth over the bird. and add another tbs butter to pan. cover loosely with foil and roast until therm reads 175 at thickest part of thigh....basting with a cup of broth and tbs of butter every 30-45 min. this should take about 1 hour and 45 min + or -.

for gravy (base)-

melt 2 tbs of butter. in deep skillet over high heat. add 2 c onions, 1 c celery, 1 c carrots.... saute until brown. add 6 cups of broth and bring to boil.. reduce heat to med-low and simmer for about 45 min uncovered. strain.

strain pan juices from the turkey... whisk in gravy base. melt 2 tbs of butter in large sauce pan over med heat. add flour and whisk constantly until our roux is golden brown (about 6 min). gradually add the gravy base/pan juice mixture into the roux. increase heat and whisk until gravy thickens, boils, and is smooth. reduce heat to med. reduce gently until it reduce to about 4 1/2 cups..whisking often (about 10 min). season gravy with s&p.

stuffing:

1 lb- unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled) you also want to remove the casings

1/2 C- finely chopped onion

1/2 C- finely chopped celery

1/2 C- butter

1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples

1 C- dried cherries

1/3 C- cherry brandy

1 loaf- french baguette cubed

1/4 tsp- cinnamon

1/4 tsp- mace

1 tsp- salt

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

1/2- 1 C- chicken broth

pinch nutmeg

pinch dreid sage

pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft. combine all ingredients. you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook. spread stuffing evenly in dish. bake at 425 for 30 min (or unitl golden brown). cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350. cook another 1 1/2 hrs until internal temp reaches 150.

soup:

1 butternut squash

2 green apples

5 C veg stock

2 C cream

1-2 oz maple syrup

1-2 tbs cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

s&p to taste

preheat oven to 425* cut squash in half (lengthwise). put on cookie sheet seed side up. lightly coat with oil. roast for about 45 min to 1 hr until pulp is soft. bring stock to boil. turn heat down and let it simmer. scald cream. set cream aside. peel and core apples. cut into wedges. roast for about 20-30 min (until lightly brown).

when squash is ready, let cool enough so you can handle it.... scoop seeds out and either discard or set aside to roast another time. scoop pulp out (you don't want that outer layer). put pulp and green apple in stock.... simmer for about 20-30 min. puree. once smooth, add cream (while blending)..... then add maple cin, nutmeg, s&p.

Black Russian Pie:

crust:

1 C chocolate wafer crumbs (or chocolate graham crackers)

2 tbs unsalted butter, melted

2 tbs kahlua

combine well. press onto bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate. chill for 10-15 min.

filling:

1/2 C milk

2 envelops unflavored gelatin

1/2 C kahlua

2 eggs

1/2 C sugar

1/3 C vodka

1 1/2 C heay cream, whipped

shaved chocolate

heat milk to boiling. add gelatin and kahlua.... stir until dissolved. in a blender, mix eggs, sugar, vodka. with machine running pour in milk mixture and blend well. transfer to a bowl. chill for 15-30 min. fold gelatin mixture into whipped cream. pour into crust. chill until set (about 3 hours). sprinkle shaved chocolate on top right before serving.

Edited by Bier Meister

I'm doing dinner for the Shiekette and her folks, minimum. Most likely it'll be a 20 pound bird, my favorite apple/walnut stuffing, sweet potatoes. And the one thing I would never do Thanksgiving without:

Green Bean Casserole with those fried onions from a can on top!!

• 2 weeks later...

13-14 people. 20 lb bird(brined and roasted), 7lb spiral cut ham with a orange/ maple glaze. Mashed spuds and gravy made from drippings. Sausage and apple dressing(similar to biers, but with golden delicous). Green bean cassorole. Creamed corn(whipping cream,butter,sugar, salt,white pepper). Steamed broc/caulif florets with just s/p and butter. Ambrosia with extra pineapples and whipped creamed topping. Warm Kings Hawaiian rolls with butter. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream topping and razzleberry pie with french vanilla ice cream for dessert. Friends will be bringing over meat/cheese plates, chips/dips, etc. and my daughter will be making deviled eggs for appetizers.

Should be a bunch of full, sleepy people come around 4:30pm pst. Including me as I will be doing most of the cooking on Thursday (some prep work on wed. nite) and have to work the next day!

That all sounds fantastic Bier, but I must say that I am a stuffing (and general Thanksgiving) traditionalist. You can make the fancy stuff or food with a twist, but a good Thanksgiving meal includes turkey, regular stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, pumpkin pie, and some sort of veggies. Now if you want to make an additional stuffing dish and other things on top of that, go right ahead. :D

That said, I'd happily eat what you are cooking any day... :D

Edited by TDFFFreak

stuff the bird with 1 C onion, 1 C carrot, 1 C celery, and 2 lemons. tuck legs under and tie legs (trousing).

Bier - I don't ever doubt anything you say but am I reading this right? Just toss a cup of onion, carrot, and celery in the bird with two lemons??? What exactly dose that do for the bird? When the bird is done what do you do with onion, carrot, and celery that was in the bird?

Bier - I don't ever doubt anything you say but am I reading this right? Just toss a cup of onion, carrot, and celery in the bird with two lemons??? What exactly dose that do for the bird? When the bird is done what do you do with onion, carrot, and celery that was in the bird?

yeah... half or quarter those lemons.. discard when done.

they provide nice aromatics and flavor.... you get their essence into the natural juices, which i use for gravy.

We originally had the whole family thing going but me, my wife, and particularly Lil'twiley are sick. Lil twiley has been running a 100-102 fever for the last few days and we're waiting for his culture sample to get back from the hospital to see what he has. Looks like we'll all be on the couch tomorrow eating whatever is in the fridge. :D

We originally had the whole family thing going but me, my wife, and particularly Lil'twiley are sick. Lil twiley has been running a 100-102 fever for the last few days and we're waiting for his culture sample to get back from the hospital to see what he has. Looks like we'll all be on the couch tomorrow eating whatever is in the fridge. :D

Are you sure you're just not all hungover? You're just supposed to rub a LITTLE whiskey on the lips and I think most wait until teething.

We've done the family thing for the past few years, but this year, my parents can't come down to Portland until Friday so we're spending Thanksgiving at my boss's house. Then this weekend, we'll spend Sat and Sunday at the wineries. This is one of two weekends that some of the smaller wineries are open each year.

The NFL scheduling office doesn't get many things right, but how sweet is tomorrow going to be? Everyone will be showing up at the relatives' place and getting comfy (aka - :D) during the good game (Det/GB), chowing down :D during the so-so game (Dal/Jets), and in a turkey coma :wacko: , thereby avoiding the crappy game (Indy/Atl).

Sweet!!!

:D

Edited by SheikYerbuti

Smoked turkey - apple wood - brined, of course

Fried turkey - injected with a garlic butter, herb mix

Buttery mashed potatoes

Cranberry sauce made with Creme de Cassis

Sweet Potato Puree with Bananas and Buttered Pecans (with brown sugar and cinnamon) (my wife's speciality)

Salad

Some stuffing my mother makes

Spiced Pumpkin Cheese Cake

Pumpkin bars (my wife's speciality)