[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

thanksgiving plans

Bier Meister

nice looking menu-

I am heading over to friends house- may have to give the pie a go..........

jealous.......I love SF this time of year- I was there last fall/winter and the weather was amazing- seemed like sun and 60-70 every day.

Great time of year in Firsco .... Indian Summer. One of my favorite cities along with Chicago, Vegas and of course, Seattle.

Bier, that may well be a very tastey turkey recipe, but it sure as chittly isn't "basic".

Due to conflicting schedules and whatnot, my family will get together on Saturday for the "big bird" meal. They are died in the wool traditionalists, and it's mom's recipes or nothing. Standard (but very good) bread stuffing etc. But, spending the day alone is something I'm looking forward to. Friends are also either traveling or elsewhere. Football all day, and I can experiment with some things I can't do when I cook turkey for the family.

This time, it's gonna be corn bread stuffing with sage sausage. Got a small 11 pounder (because turkey sammiches and T-ala-king for leftovers is a must) I'm goin out on a limb with using sausage and corn bread stuffing! Never did like raisins on my salad,or fruit and nuts in the stuffing. I leave that sort of stuff to you chef types. Fruit goes on top of the cheesecake, and nuts go in a bowl. I'll hang at my neighbor's house for a bit, but making this meal to my tastes is something I've never done before. Being alone also gives me some time to reflect on what I do have to be thankful for, as oppossed to my usual whining about what's wrong. But, Badger the beer dog will be on the prowl searching the kitchen floor for my mistakes.... :D

The turkey is in the brine for the night. Very basic brine...water, salt and brown sugar. First time brining.

You have to crawl before you can walk.

Actually, the brine is fine. While it won't impart tons of flavor, you are going to create a very moist bird.

Well the bird was fantastic. Many thanks Bier. My wifes family was really impressed with the recipe (I printed one for my SIL). I'm glad I brined also. The juiciest white meat I've ever had (and I've had Jessica Alba....we'll in my mind at least).

Twiley - that sucks. Glad to hear the fever broke though. Make up for it on Christmas. :D

Dinner is complete. Have I ever mentioned that I love my Big Green Egg?

I set up a drip pan in the Egg that had apple juice, thyme, rosemary, peppercorns and a little ginger under the bird. Caught the drippings and once the bird was done, I made gravy, adding a little wine to the mix. It was beautiful...a slight smoky taste intermingled with the sweetness.

Lots of leftover turkey, by design. Tomorrow, my wife makes the turkey soup. It will sit overnight and then be warmed on saturday. It's so good it makes me cry.

I was pretty happy with my side dishes this year. Did a bacon/apple/walnut stuffing. Lots of flavors going on, I thought it was a success. Also did a sweet potato casserole with a crispy pecan topping. Nice textures, great flavor. For dessert I did a german chocolate cake. Cake from a box (don't tell anyone), filling from scratch. Rave reviews from the in-laws, which means mission accomplished.

I was pretty happy with my side dishes this year. Did a bacon/apple/walnut stuffing. Lots of flavors going on, I thought it was a success. Also did a sweet potato casserole with a crispy pecan topping. Nice textures, great flavor. For dessert I did a german chocolate cake. Cake from a box (don't tell anyone), filling from scratch. Rave reviews from the in-laws, which means mission accomplished.

....half of the mission is accomplished. the other half when everyone leaves.

we had two turkeys this year, one 18-pounder brined and roasted, and another 10-pounder that i smoked, for the first time. i was nervous about ruining the smoked turkey, but i have to say it turned out great. smoked it with apple wood, injected with a cajun rub mixed with chicken broth, lemon and butter. came out perfect. we're gonna smoke one again for christmas.

• 11 months later...

i was so ronry.....

actually pretty boring injury. was moving a lot of cases of jd. was pulling the dolly from the boxes...heard/felt a pop in the right wrist. turns out i have a major tear of a ligament and my maniscus. hoping to avoid surgery.

i was so ronry.....

actually pretty boring injury. was moving a lot of cases of jd. was pulling the dolly from the boxes...heard/felt a pop in the right wrist. turns out i have a major tear of a ligament and my maniscus. hoping to avoid surgery.

Bummer dude. Here's hoping it heals well. :wacko: