[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson (MIN) update...

irish

Talking out of your a$$. Tearing an ACL was the most pain I have EVER felt, and there is no way you can jog up and down the sidelines with the instability that comes with a torn ACL. He got hit on top of the knee while it was flexed, and not planted. I seriously doubt any serious ligament injury occurred...

It actually sounds like you are.

Tearing an ACL is NOT painful. If there is any pain it is the joint moving around and rubbing against something it shouldn't or discomfort from the swelling which occurs later. As people have mentioned here, plenty of players have walked around before the knee 'slipped' which caused further investigation which led to the proper diagnosis of an ACL tear.

And when a major knee injury does occur in the NFL, why does the player who gets carted off not appear to be in utter pain? One of the first things trainers ask football players during the diagnosis of a knee injury is if they feel any pain in the knee joint. No pain usually equals damage to the ligaments. They will then check the stabilization of the knee.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AP owner in my league is fighting for his playoff life with 3 weeks left in the regular season. He is 6-4 and the other two teams in his division will either be 6-4 and 5-5 or both 5-5. Currently the team that will be 6-4 or 5-5 pending tonight's game has H2H advantage over him.

His RBs = Shaun Alexander + Adrian Peterson + Tatem Bell

Opening salvo ... I offered Chester Taylor + Roddy White for Randy Moss.

Tearing an ACL is NOT painful. If there is any pain it is the joint moving around and rubbing against something it shouldn't or discomfort from the swelling which occurs later. As people have mentioned here, plenty of players have walked around before the knee 'slipped' which caused further investigation which led to the proper diagnosis of an ACL tear.

And when a major knee injury does occur in the NFL, why does the player who gets carted off not appear to be in utter pain? One of the first things trainers ask football players during the diagnosis of a knee injury is if they feel any pain in the knee joint. No pain usually equals damage to the ligaments. They will then check the stabilization of the knee.

more times than not I've seen players who have had a torn ACL appear to not be in pain at all...

Despite my insistence otherwise, the league I'm in is on Yahoo. Typical, when I click on AP for his latest news and stats it says, "No recent news". While I doubt it would have been anything newer than what I saw here...

I mean, kind of a big deal, don't ya say? The guy was a lock of ROY and he tore up a ligament in his knee. Meanwhile, Kolby Smith had 5 recent articles mentioning him.

:D

My Yahoo league shows the injury update:

Nov 12 Peterson will miss Sunday's game against Oakland with a torn ligament in his right knee, Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday.

Advice: Childress said Peterson tore his lateral collateral ligament in the Vikings' 34-0 loss to Green Bay. Peterson will not require surgery. Childress said this is not a season-ending injury, but he did not talk about when Peterson might be back. Continue to monitor the running back's progress as the injury could be a severe blow.

Why do I get the feeling that AP is going to be the next "Fragile Fred" Taylor?

yep- seems like he will need to dial it down a notch for longevity, as weid as that sounds. Dude runs so hard, and fights for the extra yardage so much, I think he is gonna be injury-prone. He may need to step out of bounds more, and dial it down to 80-90% if he is gonna last.

yep- seems like he will need to dial it down a notch for longevity, as weid as that sounds. Dude runs so hard, and fights for the extra yardage so much, I think he is gonna be injury-prone. He may need to step out of bounds more, and dial it down to 80-90% if he is gonna last.

He runs like Walter Payton, but apparently doesn't have Payton's freakish physical gifts.

QUOTE(ROYALWITCHEESE @ 11/11/07 11:13pm) post_snapback.gifTalking out of your a$$. Tearing an ACL was the most pain I have EVER felt, and there is no way you can jog up and down the sidelines with the instability that comes with a torn ACL. He got hit on top of the knee while it was flexed, and not planted. I seriously doubt any serious ligament injury occurred...

Everyone has different thresholds of pain. I completely shredded mine yet it felt no worse than a knee or ankle sprain. Granted, I felt it wasn't a sprain as the doctor said (when i fully extended my leg and tightened the leg muscles I could feel slippage in the knee) after the MRI he said I tore it 100%.

everyone's level pain and mobility will be different.

Hey moran, I've torn BOTH of mine, with no other structures involved. They don't appear to be in pain because the pain subsides after several minutes and turns into discomfort. I walked out of the gym both times, but only after sveral minutes to recover. TERRIBLE pain during and shortly after the injury. Tearing your ACL is one of the most painful non-break injuries out there.

Hey moran, I've torn BOTH of mine, with no other structures involved. They don't appear to be in pain because the pain subsides after several minutes and turns into discomfort. I walked out of the gym both times, but only after sveral minutes to recover. TERRIBLE pain during and shortly after the injury. Tearing your ACL is one of the most painful non-break injuries out there.

Wow. You sure proved you could put your foot deeper into your mouth! :D I only have the medical community behind me.

Oh and plantar fascittis or tearing the patella tendon / bicep / pectoral / achilles tendon is a lot more painful non-break injury you see in the NFL. :D

Wow. You sure proved you could put your foot deeper into your mouth! :D I only have the medical community behind me.

Oh and plantar fascittis or tearing the patella tendon / bicep / pectoral / achilles tendon is a lot more painful non-break injury you see in the NFL. :D

Foot in mouth huh? Tearing the achilles tendon is not painful. Most don't know they've hurt themselves and say they were "kicked in the heel". That pretty much let's me know all I need to about you and your "medical community"...

:D

When I strained my achilles tendon it was VERY apparent to me

That would be achilles tendonitis. I have had it myself. It was more of a nagging thing to me than painful. Here is the description of a rupture:

What are the symptoms of an Achilles tendon rupture?

An Achilles tendon rupture is a traumatic injury that causes sudden pain behind the ankle. Patients may hear a 'pop' or a 'snap,' and will almost always say they feel as though they have been kicked in the heel (even though no one has kicked them). Patients have difficulty pointing their toes downward, and may have swelling and bruising around the tendon.

That would be achilles tendonitis. I have had it myself. It was more of a nagging thing to me than painful. Here is the description of a rupture:

So instead of having any valid comments, you choose to attack a small part of my statement!!!!! And then you can't even do that right!!! Add to the fact not one person has supported your case (as compared to people validating mine). So, as for the Achilles tendon tear, why do people feel like they've been shot in the back of the foot as well as the feeling of a rubber band snapping up against their calf?

It's obvious you are trying to act like you know something about medicine when you are out of your league. Goodbye.

Foot in mouth huh? Tearing the achilles tendon is not painful. Most don't know they've hurt themselves and say they were "kicked in the heel". That pretty much let's me know all I need to about you and your "medical community"...

So you follow up that statement with:

What are the symptoms of an Achilles tendon rupture?

An Achilles tendon rupture is a traumatic injury that causes sudden pain behind the ankle. Patients may hear a 'pop' or a 'snap,' and will almost always say they feel as though they have been kicked in the heel (even though no one has kicked them). Patients have difficulty pointing their toes downward, and may have swelling and bruising around the tendon.

That's hilarious! You posted information verifying my statement! :D

So you follow up that statement with:

That's hilarious! You posted information verifying my statement! :D

Obviously there is INITIAL pain. You know, something that being "kicked in the heel" would inflict. I'm speaking of AFTER the fact. But continue arguing semantics if it helps you feel better.

It's obvious I'm arguing with someone unarmed in a battle of sports medicine. Some things I would assume you know, you don't. It's my fault for expecting you to know certain things, and assuming you have a level of intelligence to enable you to comprehend what I'm talking about--without me having to spell out every single simple detail. So you argue things like "what is the most painful." As if it makes any difference... :D

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

Orthopedist Dr. James Andrews said Wednesday in a statement that the Vikings should evaluate Adrian Peterson (knee) on a "week-to-week" basis.

Andrews looked at the MRI results of Peterson's LCL tear and confirmed the team's medical prognosis. Coach Brad Childress and head trainer Eric Sugarman say Peterson might be back in Week 12, but the Minneapolis Star-Tribune believes the Vikings are more likely to target Week 13 against the Lions as a potential return date for their star rookie.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Orthopedist Dr. James Andrews said Wednesday in a statement that the Vikings should evaluate Adrian Peterson (knee) on a "week-to-week" basis.

Andrews looked at the MRI results of Peterson's LCL tear and confirmed the team's medical prognosis. Coach Brad Childress and head trainer Eric Sugarman say Peterson might be back in Week 12, but the Minneapolis Star-Tribune believes the Vikings are more likely to target Week 13 against the Lions as a potential return date for their star rookie.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Good news, right in time for the FF playoffs

Uh, so I suppose that Favre, Payton, Peyton, etc. are/were just "lucky" to have never suffered a major injury in 10+ years in the NFL. Interesting thesis, but I disagree. I also don't find it coincidence that Taylor's myriad of injuries suddenly disappeared (with advancing age and after years of wear and tear) when he changed his diet and began taking better care of himself physically.

Meant to address this before, but forgot too...so why not now? :D

I'm sure diet and taking care of yourself physically will help with things like pulled hamstrings, but injuries caused by collision? C'mon. It's simply a matter of bad luck in those cases. I fail to see how eating your Wheaties will magically protect you against flying helmets or shoulder pads.

Meant to address this before, but forgot too...so why not now? :D

I'm sure diet and taking care of yourself physically will help with things like pulled hamstrings, but injuries caused by collision? C'mon. It's simply a matter of bad luck in those cases. I fail to see how eating your Wheaties will magically protect you against flying helmets or shoulder pads.

+1

I don't care who you are... taking a helmet to the knee is like someone taking a sledge hammer to it. Maybe worse because when the helmet hits your knee, you're not standing still.

You can eat your Wheaties, take your Flintstones vitamins, and drink juice from your Jack La Lanne juicer... the end result will be a busted up knee.