[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sd-indy

dmarc117

You were saying? :D

Stilll a second half shut out! Couldn't pick up a game winning first down.

Prevent Defense prevents you from winning.

What an amazing effort riuned by a stroke of crap luck! (missed field goal).

I still say congratulations Colts. You deserved this win.

As a Charger fan, I cannot feel good about or brag about this game.

Edited by McBoog

Stilll a second half shut out! Couldn't pick up a game winning first down.

Precent Defense prevents you from winning.

What an amazing effort riuned by a stroke of crap luck!

I still say congratulations Colts. You deserved this win.

As a Charger fan, I cannot feel good about or brag about this game.

Am I watching the same game here?? :D

:D

That was just brutal. Petyon almost threw away the game in the first half, and then amazingly dug them out of that hole.... with a practice squad guy at LT for most of the game, and Aaron Moorehead and Crapholio Thorpe at #2 and #3 WR. Ironically, Peyton broke Unitas' passing yardage and TDs record tonight, but I'm sure that he doesn't give a crap about that right now... or the 6 INTs that will bring down his QB rating. They couldn't run the ball at all, but they were in it until the end. Hats off to the defense for another outstanding performance... and Reggie for having the game of a lifetime in double-coverage.

And while I'm incredibly disappointed in Vinatieri, I'm absolutely livid at the kick/punt coverage teams. This has been an issue for years and how Russ Purnell still has his job is beyond me.

I really hope that they can respond positively to this. The past two weeks are games that can send teams into season-ending downward spirals. And I really, really hope that Freeney doesn't have a broken ankle/foot.

That was just brutal. Petyon almost threw away the game in the first half, and then amazingly dug them out of that hole.... with a practice squad guy at LT for most of the game, and Aaron Moorehead and Crapholio Thorpe at #2 and #3 WR. Ironically, Peyton broke Unitas' passing yardage and TDs record tonight, but I'm sure that he doesn't give a crap about that right now... or the 6 INTs that will bring down his QB rating. They couldn't run the ball at all, but they were in it until the end. Hats off to the defense for another outstanding performance... and Reggie for having the game of a lifetime in double-coverage.

And while I'm incredibly disappointed in Vinatieri, I'm absolutely livid at the kick/punt coverage teams. This has been an issue for years and how Russ Purnell still has his job is beyond me.

I really hope that they can respond positively to this. The past two weeks are games that can send teams into season-ending downward spirals. And I really, really hope that Freeney doesn't have a broken ankle/foot.

THIS is why I hate the Colts. It is fitting that on the night Manning "broke" Johnny U's record he threw six picks, cuz he ain't no Johnny U.

Not trying to picka fight with you Bill, or any of you Colt fans, but it's not cool.

Edited by Gdawg

I was NEVER comfortable the whole game. You guys have Manning.

The Charger's offense is horrible and can't keep the D off of the field. I kinda feel sorry right now for the D. They were on the field the WHOLE GAME. They got 5 valid picks (the last was trash) but the offense could not do anything. I would give the Colts D more credit if the Chargers O had been close to what they were last year, but they SUCK! Against everybody.

The one thing we do have is solid special teams. But that is a minor "victory" in the scheme of things!

As a whole, I would not have been suprised of the Colts won, and they probably should have. But I think BOTH D units played their butts off tonight. I think the Colts prospects are much better looking forward than the Chargers.

THIS is why I hate the Colts. It is fitting that on the night Manning "broke" Johnny U's record he threw six picks, cuz he ain't no Johnny U.

Not trying to picka fight with you Bill, or any of you Colt fans, but it's not cool.

I agree that it's silly to compare the two, given that they played in completely different eras. Unitas is arguably the best to ever play the position, and no less than a Top 3 guy in my book.

My point was that, despite all of the crap you hear on this board about Peyton caring so much about his stats, it's just not true. I'm sure that he doesn't give a rat's ass about holding the Colts franchise records. Nor does he put himself in the same tier as Johnny U, as he said after last year's AFC Divisional game.

I agree that it's silly to compare the two, given that they played in completely different eras. Unitas is arguably the best to ever play the position, and no less than a Top 3 guy in my book.

My point was that, despite all of the crap you hear on this board about Peyton caring so much about his stats, it's just not true. I'm sure that he doesn't give a rat's ass about holding the Colts franchise records. Nor does he put himself in the same tier as Johnny U, as he said after last year's AFC Divisional game.

You're right, truly it's impossible to compare the two. It's like comparing the Dead-Ball era to the 90's.

I'd say that he IS on the same tier as Johnny U. I don't think he's better, but he's right there. He's one HELL of a football player.

I don't hate Peyton. Heck, I don't hate any of the Colts. Frankly I LIKE all of them. I just don't like what happened with regard to our two cities. Were it not for that, I'd probably be rooting for them.

Edited by Gdawg

If the win could be forfeited and given to the Colts I would do it.

No way we deserved that one. Our D and STs did, but not our HC and offense.

Couldn't even get a 1st down after the missed FG to put it away.

And there's no excuse for this. We've got a great RB, great TE, a good WR in Chambers,

an OL that was given all kinds of credit last year and is intact except for Hardwick, and a QB

who made the Pro-Bowl in his 1st year starting. Any guesses who is to blame?....

If the win could be forfeited and given to the Colts I would do it.

No way we deserved that one. Our D and STs did, but not our HC and offense.

Couldn't even get a 1st down after the missed FG to put it away.

And there's no excuse for this. We've got a great RB, great TE, a good WR in Chambers,

an OL that was given all kinds of credit last year and is intact except for Hardwick, and a QB

who made the Pro-Bowl in his 1st year starting. Any guesses who is to blame?....

I have had a few days now to think about this and "get over" the anger at the incompetentcies of the offense.

The reality is that the Chargers did what they had to do to win the game. They stoppped the Colts and they missed a chip shot field goal. That is on them, not us.

The defense DID do the job. They got gassed and started giving up chunks at the end, but let's assume that any of those drives stopped by INTs were taken down for points. Out of five drives and Manning running the offense, 3 points would be reasonable to expect (the sixth INT was the last play of the game and I can't count that as anything but padding). The Charger D actually held the Colts O to TWO TDS in that game. The D got NO help from the O, but still they got a W. Without the fumble recovery for a score, that ball is punted and maybe another pick or stop?!?!

The special teams came to play. The Chargers do have one of the best ST units in the league. DD mentioned "two lucky" TDs by the ST of the Chargers, but isn't ST preparation and execution a part of the game as well? I believe it is! And why "lucky"? Sure, it is not a common occurance, but both Colt fans in this thread AND Madden were all talking about ST being one of the clear advantages (or the Colts suck at) the Chargers took into that game. The have Pro Bowl caliber kickers and have placed ST players in the pro bowl for the last two years (I think). Do ST TDs count less than the other TDs. Nope, didn't think so! Those TDs were caused by proper execution of a football play, not by the error/turnover of the offense.

Let's look at the O. The Colts D is NOT a crap D and did a great job of shutting down the Chargers. There was horrid play calling and lack of execution, but I don't thnk that we can discount just how well the Colts D played that game! The Colts D did everything they needed to do to set the offense up for a win, and the offese let them down (five picks). Sure, as a Charger fan, I am frustrated by the offense, but they still found a way to win that game. Should they have won by more, probably, but they still won. Was it a lucky win? Sure, if you call the law of averages catching up with Vineteri and missing the FG. There is a saying, "I'd rather be lucky than good!" Maybe it applies here!?!? You have to have the Lady on your side sometimes. :wacko:

Do the Chargers have some concerns? Yep! :D Did they beat the Colts and stand alone in first place in their division? Yep, that too! :D

I have had a few days now to think about this and "get over" the anger at the incompetentcies of the offense.

Let's look at the O. The Colts D is NOT a crap D and did a great job of shutting down the Chargers. There was horrid play calling and lack of execution, but I don't thnk that we can discount just how well the Colts D played that game! The Colts D did everything they needed to do to set the offense up for a win, and the offese let them down (five picks). Sure, as a Charger fan, I am frustrated by the offense, but they still found a way to win that game. Should they have won by more, probably, but they still won. Was it a lucky win? Sure, if you call the law of averages catching up with Vineteri and missing the FG. There is a saying, "I'd rather be lucky than good!" Maybe it applies here!?!? You have to have the Lady on your side sometimes. :D

i think your biggest mistake is forgetting what it was like to watch the offense in that game, not to mention the Minnesota game. in both of those games, the defense and special teams kept the game close or in hand in the first half. the offense has done jack. we'll go nowhere with that production.

i still believe in the players we have. but something is seriously wrong with our schemes, play calls, and game plan. Gates, Chambers, and Jackson should help prevent defenses from bringing the pressure that they are. i watch a QB like Hasselback in Seattle and he's got time to throw. i don't see that in SD at the moment. it makes no sense to me.

i think your biggest mistake is forgetting what it was like to watch the offense in that game, not to mention the Minnesota game. in both of those games, the defense and special teams kept the game close or in hand in the first half. the offense has done jack. we'll go nowhere with that production.

i still believe in the players we have. but something is seriously wrong with our schemes, play calls, and game plan. Gates, Chambers, and Jackson should help prevent defenses from bringing the pressure that they are. i watch a QB like Hasselback in Seattle and he's got time to throw. i don't see that in SD at the moment. it makes no sense to me.

I watched the whole game and was screaming at the tube just like you. I did not understand attacking the middle of the Minesota D-line play after play. Attacking the corners on an angle would have made more sense, but slamming it up the middle??? WeeToded. They should have come out winging it against the Vikes, but ended up in 2nd and long all day. Turner when he was OC here before, knew how to get LT the ball in the flat. There is something wrong with that hookup right now, even when they try to run it. LT has been hit in the back or the helmet at least 5 times this year on that play. What I do know is that sometimes you just don't match up well with another team. With Phillips and Jammer out of that game and then Castillo, they got on their heals and got gassed. Bad combo against a team that runs downhill as well as the Vikes do.

I also think that people are not giving the Colts D enough credit here! Us Charger fans have suffered with crap so many more years than quality, we tend to think it is all our success or failure, as if it doensn't matter who we are playing. The Colts were swarming and put great preassure on Rivers. When I said earlier that they should have probably won by more, that is doing a BIG disservice to the Colt D. Why would we assume that we should move the ball at will on that D? Give credit where credit is due, they shut alot of what we tried to do down as much and maybe more than our inability to execute. In reality, it was a great Defensive battle, and I think that got lost in the hype of last year's scoring leader O facing Manning. Everyone expected a game totally different than what they got and I don't think it was analyzed properly because of that.

Ahhh, time to throw. That is the big key to the woes we are seeing in this offense.

Going into the season, the Chargers O-line was ranked consistently in the top three. They are not playing well! They are not as aggressive and they are missing assignments. They are not staying on their blocks on run plays and driving people into the ground like tey did last year. The O-line is the biggest problem that the offense has this year, not Rivers or the skill guys! When you are not getting the time from the line you used to have, the timing of everything gets whack!

What is interesting with all of the talk about coaching change, the only real new face to the offensive side of the ball is Turner himself. Both o-line coaches return as does running back and wr coaches. The transition should have been harder for the defense. What is true, is that during camp, there was a lot of talk about it being the same offense, but able to do more than they ever thought it could. This could be more of a problem for them as opposed to a benefit. There is still stuff to be learned and they maybe choaking on the tweaks a little bit. I agree the play calling has been goofy at times, but I still think it goes back to the O-line getting back the nasty. That is where the soal of your team lies.