[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peterson torn LCL

PaulOttCarruth

Probably the same as the link above, but I'm blocked from the link above at work...

Peterson has ligament tear

November 12th, 2007 – 12:47 PM by Judd Zulgad Rookie running back Adrian Peterson has a lateral collateral ligament tear, Vikings coach Brad Childress said at his press conference today at Winter Park. It’s uncertain how much time Peterson will miss but the Vikings certainly aren’t going to take any chances with the injury.

The damage is to the lower third of the ligament, Childress said. “What they do is they identify it both clinically and with an MRI and they go ahead and grade it with a three being the worst and one being the least,” Childress explained. “He’s got a two-plus tear in that ligament.”

Childress said the “good news” is that Peterson’s knee otherwise is stable. “The PCL, ACL, meniscus, all the other structures are good in that knee,” Childress said. “If it was a lineman they would be braced up and play, maybe. We’ll reserve judgment on what’s appropriate for that at the time. Everybody heals differently.”

Peterson was hurt in the third quarter of the Vikings’ 34-0 loss Sunday at Green Bay after catching a screen pass. Peterson took off up the middle for an 11-yard gain but was brought down when cornerback Al Harris dived at the rookie’s knees to make the tackle.

another clip per rotowire:

The injury is somewhere between a level two and level three (the most serious) variety of tear, so it seems pretty clear Peterson is out indefinitely, though no timetable has been discussed. The good news, if you want to call it that, is that Peterson's other knee ligaments are sound. Chester Taylor will handle the bulk of the Vikings' carries as long as Peterson is out.

An isolated injury to the LCL or MCL rarely requires surgical repair

or reconstruction. Significant tears to the LCL are usually treated by

holding the knee straight in a cast or brace for three weeks, but most

doctors opt not to immobilize the knee in a cast when the MCL is torn.

Some doctors prefer to issue their patients a knee brace after the

injury if there is significant pain and instability.

Interesting.

MIN isn't going anywhere near the playoffs. Why risk Peterson further injury by trying to get anything more out of him this year? MIN can sit him, which will cause the team to completely tank, which will enhance their draft position for next year when Peterson can come back 100%.

MIN isn't going anywhere near the playoffs. Why risk Peterson further injury by trying to get anything more out of him this year? MIN can sit him, which will cause the team to completely tank, which will enhance their draft position for next year when Peterson can come back 100%.

Agreed. Unless doctors tell Childress that AP's knee is close to 100%, he won't play again this year. Here's hopin he is a fast healer.

Fantasy wise I would think he is out for the year.

I agree. You don't gamble on talent like that when there's nothing to gain from it. If he does come back, I would suspect it will be very limited and very late in the season. I know jack about knee injuries, but from what I see the LCL has alot to do with knee stability. I just don't see a RB cutting on a grade 2+ sprain (tear) after a few weeks.

Childress isn't the sharpest of untensils, so I would be willing to bet that he brings back Peterson in the next couple weeks just to prove that he is not head coaching material. This opinion is based on watching how inept the vikings were against the packers. Can anyone explain why Childress would write half a page of notes after a lineman jumped offsides? Even the commentators were wondering.