[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WHere are all those 49er fans that thought

Sgt. Ryan

WHere are all those 49er fans that thought this team would be good. I said it before the season, this team is average at best, and last yr was the ceiling for this team. Am i the only one that though SF would suck this yr.

As someone who pegged them as the sexy pick whose expectations were way too high, I didn't think that they would suck this badly. I avoided Djax like the plague in drafts this year, but I didn't think the drop off would be this dramatic.

Not that he has shown in a REAL game but I am betting more and more that San Fran wished they would have taken Aaron Rogers instead. He would have been a better pick overall.

Alex Smith just does not anything special at all....

Im betting they wished they took Braylon Edwards, and signed Drew Brees in FA.

i definitely thought they'd be better than what we are seeing on the field (8-8 or 9-7). while i think that smith is stinking, the only qb's that i think could do anything behind that o-line are "running" qb's. just pathetic offense.

Not a 9'er fan, but I did think this team would take the next step this year. Gore is clearly hurting, the guy was limping around the whole game. Losing Lawson hurt the pass rush, but the problem is the O line number one, and Smith number two. As Jaws pointed out, his mechanics have gotten worse, not better. That siff left leg problem is not a small problem. It's real basic mechanics. Instead of progressing, Smith is regressing. Davis isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either. The guy can run and catch, but he looks so lost as to make me think he is color blind and can't figure out who is on the other team about to crush his QB because he doesn't know who to block. Hey, Vernon, it's the guy with the jersey that doesn't look like the one you are wearing.

Then there is Nolan. He's just an awful HC. Who is calling the personnel shots in SF? Whoever it is, it reminds me of the Jets. We don't need no stinkin O linemen! We don't need to spend in FA for offensive linemen! We don't need to draft any on day one of the draft either! At least Holmgren realises he doesn't have an O line that can run block.... so he finally went to the passing game. Duh. Go figure.

At least Holmgren realises he doesn't have an O line that can run block.... so he finally went to the passing game. Duh. Go figure.

Yea, but it's a little easier to do it when you have at least one of your two best WRs healthy. Relying on a WCO pass attack with inexperienced WRs like Courtney Taylor and Ben Obamanu playing large roles isn't a recipe for success.

Yea, but it's a little easier to do it when you have at least one of your two best WRs healthy. Relying on a WCO pass attack with inexperienced WRs like Courtney Taylor and Ben Obamanu playing large roles isn't a recipe for success.

Not sure what you mean.... the Seahawks have Engram, Burleson and Hackett. Only Branch was out, and that is a nice stable of WR's, youth mixed in with experience. I would trade the Jets' WR corp for the Hawks' straight up, WCO or not. Um.... Courtney Taylor.... who? I honsetly don't even know what team he plays for.... but what is he, like a 6th WR? Not tryin to bait anyone, but I don't get the jist of this post.

I'm here, I can take my lumps. I also predicted the Bears would suck and the cowboys would go to the Super Bowl, wanna take those away from me too? :D

They are way too predicatable on offense and the team has had many injuries. I thought they'd be 9-7 and win that sorry division.

Not sure what you mean.... the Seahawks have Engram, Burleson and Hackett. Only Branch was out, and that is a nice stable of WR's, youth mixed in with experience. I would trade the Jets' WR corp for the Hawks' straight up, WCO or not. Um.... Courtney Taylor.... who? I honsetly don't even know what team he plays for.... but what is he, like a 6th WR? Not tryin to bait anyone, but I don't get the jist of this post.

The announcers where somewhat critical of Holmgren for not going to a pass first strategy sooner in the season, and thought I picked up on that in your post.

Seattle wasn't really pitiful at running the ball until a few weeks into the season. They had both Hackett and Branch out of the lineup for 3 weeks. So one needs to keep in mind that Obamanu and Taylor, were getting substantial playing time, likely limiting Holmgren's tendency to want to turn to a passing first team until now. Seattle only had one true route runner, Engram, healthy for Weeks 5-7.

Edited by bushwacked

I thought they would be better than last year, but many thought Thomas Jones and The Jets would take the next step too.

:D Hey Sarge........what cha got to say about that? :D

I too thought TJ would play a LOT better than he has.

I thought they would be better than last year, but many thought Thomas Jones and The Jets would take the next step too.

No question I thought TJ would be better. Though I didnt think the Jets D was good enough to take the next step.

But this post is about the crap several took when they said SF would take a step back.

I am here, and I will take my lumps...they are bad, no horrible, and there is no sugarcoating it...I thought that the offense would take a step or two back in losing Norv, but I never thought this would happen (say what you want about the guy, he is a helluva O-coordinator)...

That being said, I am not ready to give up on Alex Smith and Mike Nolan yet....I have always liked Mike, and given the injuries (Manny Lawson, Jonas Jennings, Gore being out of training camp) I am willing to give him another year...

and as far as Alex, maybe he will be a productive QB, maybe he wont, but he is still YOUNG (barely 23 y.o) and raw...I knew when we drafted him (he wasnt old enough to buy a drink when he was drafted) he was going to be a long term project and we would have to get alot around him early for him to succeed...

I will say a few things for Alex (and this is why I am willing to give him a little more time)..the guy has toughness...whenever he is running for a first down (in the rare instances they have a chance at a 1st :D ) he is going headfirst...the guy isnt sliding, going out of bounds or anything like that...I have seen him take some HARD hits, that he just bounced right back up from...and I guarantee you will never see him crying after a game when the fans boo him ala Tim Couch..the guy is also smart (graduated from college at age 20), and he is working...I read reports that the guy basically was living at the complex the last two off-seasons, so he is putting the work in to get better...

I became a Niner fan when I was very young (funny story involving me, a 4 y.o. kid and my Cowboy loving uncle and cousins), and heard alot growing up that I was a "frontrunner". I always deined that, and pointed to the face that I was 4 when I started liking "the guys in red" (there was no NFL team anywhere close to where I lived early in life, so I chose the "guys in red"). I have always felt that this time period was a good time to prove that I am infact not a frontrunner, and although I enjoyed the Niners success when I was growing up with Montana, Rice, Young, etc., I will enjoy the next run of Niner success (whenever it comes) much more!

No question I thought TJ would be better. Though I didnt think the Jets D was good enough to take the next step.

But this post is about the crap several took when they said SF would take a step back.

Understood.

One thing is clear-

Those

NFL commercials will be great this year.