[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beer suggestions for a cold tailgate?

Atlanta Cracker

It's finally starting to get a little chilly down in the South and looks like for the first time this Saturday will be a particularly chilly and early tailgate prior to the Noon Georgia Tech game. SO, I was just curious what you drink on such occasions?

I'll have some Sweetwater Festive for sure but looking for other suggestions to keep me warm and numb me before enduring another viewing of mediocrity on the football field.

I realize liquour could be an option but it tends to get me into trouble when drinking for 4+ hours. :D

Though I LOVE this time of year for the seasonal beers, they tend to be heavier and can be a load if drank over a long period of time and quicker than usual(which happens when tailgating). Me I would go with something strong but lighter. Lets say Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Redhook Blonde Ale, Redhook Chinook Ale, the options are almost endless. Then again you could be a true "Cracker" and drink you some Buttwiper light or something and deal with the headache later :D

Agreed but can't buy it here for some reason. Just ask Big John!

Yup, Yuengling had a limited distribution area and is not available for sale in Georgia. It is available in some surrounding states so the way I understand Georgia politics, it is a contributing factor. You can't even buy liquor on sundays here except at a bar or restaurant for consumption there.

It's finally starting to get a little chilly down in the South and looks like for the first time this Saturday will be a particularly chilly and early tailgate prior to the Noon Georgia Tech game.

Define "particularly chilly"?

I sorta want to split the difference between Nick and Hugh - you don't want something to light, but too heavy and you'll feel like you're walking around with a cheese log stuffed in your belly.

Personally, I think if you're talking 40s-50s, Newcastle Brown Ale would be VERY nice. Robust but not "heavy", tasty, and doesn't bloat you up like some others might.

Define "particularly chilly"?

The temperature will be in the mid 30's early in the morning with a high for the day sometime after the game starts of 60.

The menu will include Omlettes and hash browns in the morning followed by Chick-fil-A nuggest/biscuits as we approach noon.

I'm thinking a couple of bloody mary's might be the call to kick things off followed by some of the beer suggs. I like the IPA idea and have had and enjoyed the Dogfish Head 60 min so may give the 90 min a try. Nukey Brown or Shiner Bock may be a good call to compliment that as well.

Any breakfast beer ideas or does the bloody mary plan sound better?

Hmm . . . got a couple of different things going here, the idea of a "light breakfast beer" and the idea of a "cold-weather tailgating beer". IPAs are not my thing in the least, but a stiff, bright IPA could be just what the doctor ordered with early-morning hash browns and eggs. Moving on to the afternoon, I'd suggest a he-man beer like Lion Stout, but (and I'm speaking from experience here), when you've been tailgating and drinking stiff stuff all morning, and then you load up on fat, protein and carbs for lunch, and then you knock back some more . . . you're looking at a tailgate full of sleepyheads by kickoff . . .

EDIT: Just saw it's a noon kick. Unless you start off at 6:00 am, you should be fine. Start with the Dogfish Head (or whatever IPA catches your fancy) and stay warm with the Lion Stout, IMO.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I went to the beer store for the 90 minute IPA but ended up getting the 60 minute as a 4-pack of 90 minute was more than the sixer of 60.

Being an accountant can really ruin some potentially enjoyable experiences.

Hehe, yeah I did that last time but went ahead with the 90 for the tailgate since they're almost over. I'll let you know if you're missing out. I really liked the 60's though.

I also added some Sam Adams winter brew and Lion Stout to the inventory though I'm a little skeptical after noticing when I got home that it's made in Jamacia. :D But, I've never met a beer I couldn't drink.

I also added some Sam Adams winter brew and Lion Stout to the inventory though I'm a little skeptical after noticing when I got home that it's made in Jamacia. :D But, I've never met a beer I couldn't drink.

Jamaica?

It's actually Sri Lankan. But trust me, it's good stuff. I don't have the pallette most of you all have, but I do know a tasty beer when I drink one! Keep us posted on how it all goes down, of course.

Peace

policy

Jamaica?

It's actually Sri Lankan. But trust me, it's good stuff. I don't have the pallette most of you all have, but I do know a tasty beer when I drink one! Keep us posted on how it all goes down, of course.

Peace

policy

Woops, looks like I got Lion Heart Stout... guess that's what I get for not taking the huddle with me to the beer store. It was fairly expensive and in the specialty beer section so hopefully it won't make me barf. Maybe I'll try one tonight just to make sure! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a game at Lambeau a few years back on Christmas Eve. It was one of those below zero games.

I thought I'd be smart and bring a nice bottle of warm Cab for tailgating.

Not only does that not really fit in with the tailgating crew there, but it was ice cold after about 20 minutes. :D