[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

don't breathe that sigh of relief just yet

Big Ernie McCracken

With the collateral ligaments, inactivity is not a requirement of the healing process. They actually heal better with activity. So he will be able to heal and play at the same time--with a brace.

Each case is individual, so this doctor is speaking in general terms when in fact each case is SPECIFIC.

An LCL injury is virtually equivalent to an MCL, which people play through all the time. Peoiple are blowing this "serious" ligament tear WAY out of proportion...

So why not really fast track the healing process and have him play this week? Your statement sounds absurd. Do you have a medical or sports training background?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading about this all morning. Everything I have read (google it) regarding an LCL Grade 2 tear suggests that one should not participate in full physical activity on average for 3-6 weeks. If it was a Grade 3 tear, than it would require surgery. They are saying it is a 2+, I just don't see how ADP, being a RB in the NFL, coulde be back in anything less than 3-4 weeks.

I have been reading about this all morning. Everything I have read (google it) regarding an LCL Grade 2 tear suggests that one should not participate in full physical activity on average for 3-6 weeks. If it was a Grade 3 tear, than it would require surgery. They are saying it is a 2+, I just don't see how ADP, being a RB in the NFL, coulde be back in anything less than 3-4 weeks.

+1

I recently sprained my MCL while sparring (took a kick to my knee). On the initial contact I went down, took a minute or so to "shake it off" and finished the round. I sparred one more round before it was obvious that something was wrong at which point I decided I did not want to risk further injury to the knee. As I began to cool down the discomfort began to set in ... the next morning I thought I had torn something and any time I bent my knee the pain was very unpleasant. The doctors in the ER put a brace on it that immobilized the knee and that helped TREMENDOUSLY. I didn't really have any problem with the knee/leg bearing weight it was any kind of lateral movement that was painful. Saw an ortho the next day and he told me it was a sprained MCL. He recommended that I limit my activity to walking only for 4 to 6 weeks and after that I could begin to work my way back into my routine.

I simply can not imagine trying to return to full speed, full contact with a SPRAIN let alone a TEAR. Granted we are talking a sprained MCL versus a torn LCL.

It took a full 6 weeks before I could start working out again ...

When I partially tore my rotator it took 6 months of therapy to get through that one ...

No way should AP see the field this year with a torn ligament.

So why not really fast track the healing process and have him play this week? Your statement sounds absurd. Do you have a medical or sports training background?

That actually wouldn't be so bad, if the swelling was gone and pain managable. The most dangerous thing is: he is inactive for 2 or 3 weeks, and then tries to play. I think if he is going to come back so soon, he should be performing football related activities well before that time. So if he practices next week as rumored, he'll be on track to return the week after...

I am a DPT student...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

I recently sprained my MCL while sparring (took a kick to my knee). On the initial contact I went down, took a minute or so to "shake it off" and finished the round. I sparred one more round before it was obvious that something was wrong at which point I decided I did not want to risk further injury to the knee. As I began to cool down the discomfort began to set in ... the next morning I thought I had torn something and any time I bent my knee the pain was very unpleasant. The doctors in the ER put a brace on it that immobilized the knee and that helped TREMENDOUSLY. I didn't really have any problem with the knee/leg bearing weight it was any kind of lateral movement that was painful. Saw an ortho the next day and he told me it was a sprained MCL. He recommended that I limit my activity to walking only for 4 to 6 weeks and after that I could begin to work my way back into my routine.

I simply can not imagine trying to return to full speed, full contact with a SPRAIN let alone a TEAR. Granted we are talking a sprained MCL versus a torn LCL.

When I partially tore my rotator it took 6 months of therapy to get through that one ...

BTW, a sprain is a stretching OR tear of the ligament.

That actually wouldn't be so bad, if the swelling was gone and pain managable. The most dangerous thing is: he is inactive for 2 or 3 weeks, and then tries to play. I think if he is going to come back so soon, he should be performing football related activities well before that time. So if he practices next week as rumored, he'll be on track to return the week after...

I am a DPT student...

Which is what?

DPT

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Ten things you may not know about Wikipedia •Jump to: navigation, search

The abbreviation DPT can refer to:

The Democratic Party of Turkmenistan

The Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis vaccine

The Democratic Peace Theory

Dipropyltryptamine

Doctor of Physical Therapy degree

Dirty Pretty Things (band), a band founded in 2005

Dirty Pretty Things (film), a movie released in 2002

Dynamic Packet Transport

Dynamic Preemption Threshold scheduling algorithm

Dublin Port Tunnel

Distributed Processing Technology

Are you a highly trained, elite athlete? If so, then your logic applies. If not, it's apples and oranges...

DPT

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Ten things you may not know about Wikipedia •Jump to: navigation, search

The abbreviation DPT can refer to:

The Democratic Party of Turkmenistan

The Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis vaccine

The Democratic Peace Theory

Dipropyltryptamine

Doctor of Physical Therapy degree

Dirty Pretty Things (band), a band founded in 2005

Dirty Pretty Things (film), a movie released in 2002

Dynamic Packet Transport

Dynamic Preemption Threshold scheduling algorithm

Dublin Port Tunnel

Distributed Processing Technology

Are you a highly trained, elite athlete? If so, then your logic applies. If not, it's apples and oranges...

Yes ... now that you mention it ... I have noticed that all those highly trained athletes have pumped up ligaments. Must be all those exercises they do in the weight room specifically designed to build up their ligaments.

Yes ... now that you mention it ... I have noticed that all those highly trained athletes have pumped up ligaments. Must be all those exercises they do in the weight room specifically designed to build up their ligaments.

It has to do with elite athletes having more fast-twitch muscle fibers; therefore stronger, more explosive muscles; therefore stronger and more dense tendons. It's a discussion of A & P, physics, exercise physiology, athletic training, etc.

So comparing the puny MCL/LCL of you or me and the recovery time needed to return to full activity (for someone who is moderately active), to that of AP is not a good comparison...

That's all I'm saying...

Interesting...

Yesterday after the MRI results came in, pretty much every "expert opinion" I heard said this is typically a 2-4 week injury. Now this Dr Johnny, who is in Florida says different.

So all you guys are ready to latch right onto this one differing opinion and even go so far as to say Chilly is likely to force him to come back too early just to save his job.

How about this? What if AP says he is ready to come back in two weeks. The local docs say he's good to go? Should he be allowed to play? I mean, he does have a $250,000 incentive in his contract if he wins the ROY award. There are other incentives he could reach and make himself some more money. Should be be forced to shut it down so he can play next year? Or should he be allowed to choose to play and earn himself some more money?

I fully expect that in a months time, if he's not playing yet, some of those who posted in this thread will be making the claim that them lowlife Vikings are holding him out on purpose so he can't reach his incentives....

Edited by BillyBalata

Interesting...

How about this? What if AP says he is ready to come back in two weeks. The local docs say he's good to go? Should he be allowed to play? I mean, he does have a $250,000 incentive in his contract if he wins the ROY award. There are other incentives he could reach and make himself some more money. Should be be forced to shut it down so he can play next year? Or should he be allowed to choose to play and earn himself some more money?

How about if he comes back and tears it requiring surgery then is never the same player again.That 250,000 will be nothing comapred to what his next contract would have been worth.Is it worth the risk?

If you were looking out for his best intrests which would you choose?

Edited by xtra

How about if he comes back and tears it requiring surgery then is never the same player again.That 250,000 will be nothing comapred to what his next contract would have been worth.Is it worth the risk?

If you were looking out for his best intrests which would you choose?

That depends. Can I watch him on the practice field and see how he runs and cuts? Can I talk to the docs that have actually examined him? Or do I have to call Dr Johnny and get his opinion first?

That depends. Can I watch him on the practice field and see how he runs and cuts? Can I talk to the docs that have actually examined him? Or do I have to call Dr Johnny and get his opinion first?

You get Sugarman and the Vikings medical staff,Im sure they are the top of their profession.Why bother getting a second opinion for his own safety,no other players ever do. :D

Should he play? Shouldn't he play? There isn't a football fan anywhere that thinks Childress doesn't need help with his team. Would we have this big discussion about second guessing the Vikes if they actually had a coach? Probably not as much.

Thus is life in the world of the Minnesota Vikings these days. It is extremely obvious that Childress is in way over his head and he gets opinions on how to run his team each and every week alot more than any other coach in the league.

Edited by MikesVikes

[devilsadvocate] lets say the eagles are out of playoff contention, should they shut down Westbrook for the year because he is their offense and if he were to get hurt he wouldnt be ready for week 1 next yr [/devilsadvocate]

edit: better example:

[devilsadvocate] should the niners just shut down frank gore so he doesnt get hurt(or do more damage to an ailing ankle) and they have him healthy to start the season next yr [/devilsadvocate]

Edited by keggerz