[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michigan Week

sacosud

Thought this was interesting. Despite Ohio State winning 3 consecutive games and 5 of the last 6, Michigan still leads the series 57-40 with 6 ties. Just prior to the Buckeyes recent run Michigan had won 5 of 6. Seems this rivarly runs in streaks. Question is will a new streak begin this weekend?

Another question for all you Michigan fans. Why all the love for Bo Schembechler? Bo never won a NC like your current Coach Carr and wasn't his bowl record a dismal 5-12? :D

You cant be serious!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOB1, is that response due more to Rocker's facts being wrong, or because he left some other (more pertinent) facts out? For instance, what was Bo's record vs. OSU, and/or what lasting legendary things did he do that make him so loved by the UM fans? Inquiring minds (i.e. those not born and bred in the Big10) want to know.....

When you get a chance to watch the HBO documentary your friend is recording, come back and give us a report...I'd like to know what a true fan of the rivalry thinks of it!

Here's an interesting Big 10er's perspective of the Ohio State vs. Michigan rivalry. Maybe Brian can tell us if this is true or just BS.

--------------------------------------

Didn't watch the program, but I suspect the documentary didn't tell you what most amateur big ten historians all ready know.

In the 1950s and 1960s Ohio State and Michigan were not the big two. The big ten was much more evenly balanced and in Michigan, Saban's old school, Michigan State was the dominant power in the state and in the big ten winning two national titles--look it up. Minnesota was also a power as well.

Michigan was a former power pretty much left for dead, but their old AD Don Canham deserves a lot of credit for reviving the OSU-UM rivalry. The Big House generally was only 2/3 full even for the big rivalry game during the 1960s.

Woody and Bo were good friends who hated the idea of other big ten teams winning and they actually worked as hard tearing down other programs as they did building their own. They worked to get Michigan State on probation--the most severe second to SMU--in the 1970s. That was their number one goal.

Canham and Bo also worked to lower admission standards for football players. UM was pretty much the Northwestern of the big ten during the 1950s and 1960s, but Canham had the vision of marketing fb to the big time. Give them credit for that. Bo was a good coach, but his bowl record and his lack of national titles compared to Biggie Munn and Duffy Daugherty speaks for itself.

Bo and Woody were also the masters of negative recruiting. They could also coach and recruit well, but they invented modern negative recruiting and actively worked the media--that's another reason wny Bo is overrated. Woody was cast as this military historian on the side and Bo was this feisty regular guy who "loved" his kids.

In the 1950s and 1960s Ohio State and Michigan were not the big two. The big ten was much more evenly balanced and in Michigan, Saban's old school, Michigan State was the dominant power in the state and in the big ten winning two national titles--look it up. Minnesota was also a power as well.

Michigan was a former power pretty much left for dead, but their old AD Don Canham deserves a lot of credit for reviving the OSU-UM rivalry. The Big House generally was only 2/3 full even for the big rivalry game during the 1960s.

Michigan State joined the Big Ten in 1950. They won the conference in 53 (tie), 65, & 66. National champs in 66.

Ohio State won the Big Ten in 54, 55, 57, 61, & 68. (National championships in 54, 61, & 68).

Michigan won in 1960 & 1964.

The conference was certainly balanced, with 8 schools (Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Iowa, and even Indiana) winning the conference between 1950 - 1968. But to say MSU was the dominant power in the Big Ten in the 50's and 60's is a stretch, when they finished first 3 times to OSU's 5 conference titles.

The rivalry really grew to it's current state from the Ten Year War that started in 1969.

Edited by KevinL

Michigan State joined the Big Ten in 1950. They won the conference in 53 (tie), 65, & 66. National champs in 66.

Ohio State won the Big Ten in 54, 55, 57, 61, & 68. (National championships in 54, 61, & 68).

Michigan won in 1960 & 1964.

The conference was certainly balanced, with 8 schools (Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Iowa, and even Indiana) winning the conference between 1950 - 1968. But to say MSU was the dominant power in the Big Ten in the 50's and 60's is a stretch, when they finished first 3 times to OSU's 5 conference titles.

The rivalry really grew to it's current state from the Ten Year War that started in 1969.

Trying to prove a point against all amateur Big Ten historians, and Rocker, with mere facts is pointless.

Really the only decade that the conference wasn't balanced, in terms of championships, was the 70's where every year it was Michigan or Ohio State. With Michigan State nabbing a share I think one of those years. Since then, Michigan and Ohio State have each won their fair share to be sure, but every team has won a title except for Indiana and Minnesota

And if I recall, the conference was viewed as weak in the 1990's and Penn State was going to come in and win every year according to the media.

This post has been edited by GWPFFL BrianW: Today, 8:59 PM

GOB1, is that response due more to Rocker's facts being wrong, or because he left some other (more pertinent) facts out? For instance, what was Bo's record vs. OSU, and/or what lasting legendary things did he do that make him so loved by the UM fans? Inquiring minds (i.e. those not born and bred in the Big10) want to know.....

No his record in bowls and No NC is right. Read his book, Or rent a video on BO. I cant really explain it. The man was a hero in my Eyes.

You New if someone screwed up, On the field or off, He knew about it. I have some great memories of him....The day he passed, Believe it or not his

rescue unit passed right by my office....I went ot lunch with a customer, And I mean the t.vs were on and the bar was silent.

Theres a 1 hour special before the game saturday on BO.

Bo was Michigan football, thats I know.

Really the only decade that the conference wasn't balanced, in terms of championships, was the 70's where every year it was Michigan or Ohio State. With Michigan State nabbing a share I think one of those years. Since then, Michigan and Ohio State have each won their fair share to be sure, but every team has won a title except for Indiana and Minnesota

And if I recall, the conference was viewed as weak in the 1990's and Penn State was going to come in and win every year according to the media.

This post has been edited by GWPFFL BrianW: Today, 8:59 PM

You might be right about everything else, but I definitely don't remember the part about Penn State coming in and dominating. Never heard, never believed it.

I do. The media was crazy about it back in 1993, especially after the 1994 season, which I think they should have at least gotten a split national title with Nebraska. That PSU team was one of the most balanced teams ever.

This is a true statement, even I was believing it a bit especially after PSU dominated Michingan in 94. That was a good team and should have shared the title that year.

When you get a chance to watch the HBO documentary your friend is recording, come back and give us a report...I'd like to know what a true fan of the rivalry thinks of it!

It was okay, i was not really all that impressed.

There was bits and pieces that was interesting, but all in all not impressed.

This is a true statement, even I was believing it a bit especially after PSU dominated Michingan in 94. That was a good team and should have shared the title that year.

Tht PSU team was incredible.

Ki-Jana Carter was incredible and I think Engram was on that squad.

The offense was wicked and the defense extremly strong.

I still think that team PSU was robbed.

Michigan and Nebraska was closer, but Michigan deserved the undisputed title imo.

Edited by sacosud

Winner of this OSU/Michigan game will likely get a chance to play in the Rose Bowl. For young Ohio State fans this could be very special since the Buckeyes have only played in one Rose Bowl in 22 years.

Since the BCS is like what 9 years old, the youth around here does not understand what the Rose Bowl meant so long ago.

1996 was a great game for Buckeye fans, but now I remember it more for Pat Tillman.

The players have down played the Rose Bowl as a lessr bowl and like Herbie said nothing beats the Grand Daddy. :0)

OHIO....OHIO...We will the game or know the reason why.......and when we win the game we'll buy a keg of booze and drink till we wobble in our shoes. O-H-I-O.

GO BUCKS

Hang on Sloopy!!!!

what an absolute yawner

The Illini look like the best team in that conference to me -

Is there some kind of OSU/MIch rule where they all wear ankle weights?

sloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Typical Big 10 bashing by the forum moran :D

If you hadn't noticed it was raining the entire game and field conditions were horrible, OSU only attempted about 3 passes in the 2nd half. On a fast track OSU wins this game HUGE !

We'll find out how poor the Pac 10 is, when we demolish ASU or Oregon in the Rose Bowl...................talk about a yawner :D

OSU wins by 2 TDs against either one of those patsies