[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speculator's 2007 Top 100

Seattle LawDawg

WS in the in process of releasing the top 10 wines released in the past year. Sometime after that they will release the rest of the list. For some reason that I can't even understand, I was hoping to have 4 wines from the top 10. At this point, I'll need to have 4 wines from the top 4. The top 100 are supposed to be chosen based on scores, production, and price. (and probably doesn't hurt to advertise in WS).

So far, they've released the following:

10. Krug Brut 1996: Definitely the champagne of the year...so we know a champagne won't be #1. At $250/bottle, the production and scores had to do most of the talking for this one. (did score a 99).

9. Mondavi Reserve Cab 2004. $125/bottle.

8. Mollydooker Carnival of Love: I think this got in on name alone. (actually, this is really good juice). $80/bottle

7. Tenuta dell'Ornellaia: $150/bottle. I thought the pricing criteria was to award reasonably priced wines. Guess I misunderstood.

6. 2004 Château Léoville Las Cases. $90/bottle. Have not tried it, but heard plenty of rave reviews.

5. Two Hands Bella's Garden: 2 Australians in the top 10. I don't think another will hit the #1 spot. $60

Here are the 4 I'm holding out for:

Baumard Quarts de Chaume - Dessert wine from the Loire Valley. Scored 98, half bottle can be found for <$35 (for a day or two), decent availability.

2004 Quilceda Creek: Lights out wine that is probably a good 7-10 years from hitting anything resembling its prime.

2005 Clos des Papes CDP. It'd be tough for this wine not to be in the top 1 or 2.

2005 Kosta Browne Koplen...it could happen.

On another note, Baumard makes some really nice stuff. We've had the Savenniere on the list from day one. Really pretty peach fruit wrapped tightly in nervy acidity. A great food wine that should age much longer than I can allow at the restaurant.

What's the vintage on that Q d Chaume? I just called my distributor. I can get '03 for $38 for a 750. FWIW, the '02 Coteaux du Layon Cuvee St. Catherine is $28 for a 750 as well.

edit: Never mind. I just found it. You're talking about the '05.

Edited by detlef

What's the vintage on that Q d Chaume? I just called my distributor. I can get '03 for $38 for a 750. FWIW, the '02 Coteaux du Layon Cuvee St. Catherine is $28 for a 750 as well.

edit: Never mind. I just found it. You're talking about the '05.

You got it...the 05 scored 98 pts.

The 03 scored 96 if I remember correctly. I have a few of those in the wine locker as well.

And now that I actually paid attention....$38 for a 750! I think I paid $30 for the 375s.

I guess I'll snap a few up and likely some of the '02 Coteaux while I'm at it. '02 was a stellar year for the Loire.

We can trade notes in 20 years when these babies finally are ready to drink.

I actually have a decent stash of Loire valley dessert wines from a while back. '89 Gaston Huet Cuvee Constance is the crown jewel. Berry by berry selection from his 3 Grand Cru Vineyards. Broadbent said drink it in 2025. I'm about half way there but I doubt I'll make it.

I guess I'll snap a few up and likely some of the '02 Coteaux while I'm at it. '02 was a stellar year for the Loire.

We can trade notes in 20 years when these babies finally are ready to drink.

I actually have a decent stash of Loire valley dessert wines from a while back. '89 Gaston Huet Cuvee Constance is the crown jewel. Berry by berry selection from his 3 Grand Cru Vineyards. Broadbent said drink it in 2025. I'm about half way there but I doubt I'll make it.

Waiting is the hardest part. I think projected end of the drinking window of the 05 Bauard QdC is 2032.

Grabbed 4 each of the 03 Q dC and 02 C du Lay Cuvee St. Catherine. They'll be tough to sell at the restaurant and frankly tough to find an opportunity to drink away from it considering the size and sweetness. Allegedly, the 02 is already drinking quite nicely and I'll prolly pair it with a foie course for our New Year's set menu.

That's kind of the rule I set for myself in terms of buying cherries. Sell enough to make the rest a net zero deal.

Edited by detlef

Picked up several bottles of Bellas Garden this year as soon as they came out! :D

Have a nice vertical going 02 - 03 - 04 - 05

As for the Mollydooker, some of their more reasonably priced wines ($20) are very good too this year ('06)

I've had The Boxer and justed picked up some Two Left Feet

As for the Robt Mondavi Reserve - going to have to find a few bottles to add to my collection - already have (and have drank a few of the older vintages) - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 99

Was able to get my hands on some RM Oakville 2004 already this year :D Should be a nice wine for the $$

Well, I obviously don't have a clue (or spectator just doesn't sense):

#4: Antinori Toscana Tignanello 2004

#3: Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2005: This one I'm not disappointed by since I have a half case but shocked simply because of what it could mean for the Clos des Papes. I don't see two CdPs in the top 3 so the Clos des Papes doesn't make the top 10. Something fishy.

#2: Ridge Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains Santa Cruz Mountain Estate 2005. A lot of people projected this to do well. I just don't like seeing a Chard at #2.

Picked up several bottles of Bellas Garden this year as soon as they came out! :D

Have a nice vertical going 02 - 03 - 04 - 05

As for the Mollydooker, some of their more reasonably priced wines ($20) are very good too this year ('06)

I've had The Boxer and justed picked up some Two Left Feet

As for the Robt Mondavi Reserve - going to have to find a few bottles to add to my collection - already have (and have drank a few of the older vintages) - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 99

Was able to get my hands on some RM Oakville 2004 already this year :D Should be a nice wine for the $$

The Mollydooker and the Bellas Garden were expected...and well deserved.

I believe the Mondavi was the last that that family was still involved in the winery.