[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speculator's 2007 Top 100

Seattle LawDawg

#20 VT La Crau...

One of my distributors is always screwing up my orders. Constantly either sending the wrong stuff, missing items that I ordered. etc. All in all, a real hassle. At any rate, I used to have the Vieux Tele 2nd label Vieux du Mas Pape on my list (wholesale $17). I ordered six bottles and they sent me 6 bottles of the VT Chateau Neuf La Crau 2004 instead. Had it not been for the fact that these f'ers are always pissing me off, I would have said something. However, I just figured the fates were just giving me something for my troubles, signed for it, and took it home. At the time, I wasn't all that excited because I was under the impression that '04 wasn't all that in the Southern Rhone. None the less, I've since opened one, and yes, it is lovely indeed.

#20 VT La Crau...

One of my distributors is always screwing up my orders. Constantly either sending the wrong stuff, missing items that I ordered. etc. All in all, a real hassle. At any rate, I used to have the Vieux Tele 2nd label Vieux du Mas Pape on my list (wholesale $17). I ordered six bottles and they sent me 6 bottles of the VT Chateau Neuf La Crau 2004 instead. Had it not been for the fact that these f'ers are always pissing me off, I would have said something. However, I just figured the fates were just giving me something for my troubles, signed for it, and took it home. At the time, I wasn't all that excited because I was under the impression that '04 wasn't all that in the Southern Rhone. None the less, I've since opened one, and yes, it is lovely indeed.

I think I would have kept my mouth shut too. I'm slowly learning that no matter what the general vintage is like, there are always a few winemakers who can make amazing wines from a poor vintage. I think this is going to be tested to some extent with 06 Bordeauxs and to a much greater extent with 07s.

I think I would have kept my mouth shut too. I'm slowly learning that no matter what the general vintage is like, there are always a few winemakers who can make amazing wines from a poor vintage. I think this is going to be tested to some extent with 06 Bordeauxs and to a much greater extent with 07s.

This is certainly true in many parts of the world but several parts of France can really be pretty fickle. Not that the wines will suck in bad years but that you have to convince yourself that they're better than they really are when you drink them. After all, DRC from a bad year is still going to cost $200 a bottle and it's not likely to be much better than, say a Girardin from a good year that costs half the price or less.

I remember when I used to get Kermit Lynch's mailer back in the early 90s. I think it was 87 but it was rather poor year in Hermitage and he was trying to convince everyone that they should still buy Chave. "This may not be as stellar as other Chave wines, but just drink it with hamburgers." I remember thinking, "That's great, but it still costs $40". Which, of course, was a lot more for a Rhone wine then than it is now. I mean 89 Beaucastel was $30 when it came out back then.

All that said, you are correct and, especially for my needs at the restaurant where I don't have the luxury of putting things down for a while, off years can be a better fit.

Edited by detlef