[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eli Can't Read Defenses

WorstCoachingEver

A reporter during Wade Phillips's press conference this afternooon mentioned that he had heard from a bunch of Cowboy defensive players that Eli was having a lot of trouble with their defense. Phillips responded that players in the Front 7 had told the coaching staff during the game that repeatedly Eli had to have help from the Center in calling out the Mike linebacker.

While I understand that a defense can be confusing at times to even the greatest quarterback, to have your QB demonstrate the inability to simply call out the Mike linebacker throughout the game leads me to believe Eli is an utter moran. If you can't call out the Mike linebacker properly, you can screw up the protection/blocking scheme for the offensive line. Let's not forget they have film on the sideline of the opposing defenses throughout the game, so it should not be a regular problem. Also, add the fact Eli had 3 delay of game penalties against Dallas (clearly his fault) and you can see he's having a tab bit of trouble reading d's.

<corrected for name error>

Edited by WorstCoachingEver

His name is spelled Wade but I tend to doubt he can't read the MLB. Do you find this report credible?

Corrected the name. Thanks.

As for the report being credible, how can it not be when it's brought up in a press conference and verified by the coaches? :D Plus, there were numerous delay of game calls on Eli. He was getting the team up to the line of scrimmage in plenty of time, yet was having trouble reading the defense and/or audibiling.

We all know that Eli goes over defenses relentlessly with the aid of his brother. I'm thinking that this has more to do with playing against the 3-4 than it does with Eli not knowing how to read defenses. I dislike the 'Boys rather strongly, so it hurts to admit, but Hasslebeck looks twice as confused whenever we play the Cowboys than he does against any other team. The 3-4 just seems to throw a wrench in the Hawks system, but it seems like the Cowboys version messes with the timing even more. Hasselbeck just does not get any passes off in rhythm against them.

Do you have a link for this anywhere? I would think that this would be a pretty nice story for a sports writer to take on. Especially if it was confirmed by the coaches.

As I mentioned in my original post, I heard it on the radio here in Dallas on the 1310AM. I don't know if there is an archive of the press conference from yeseterday. Probably not. The numerous delay of game penalties on Eli just leads me to believe that the Cowboys D was too confusing. If the NYG center can figure out the Mike linebacker, the QB should. Especially by the end of the game when most of the alignments have already been shown and photos have been looked at on the sideline.

We all know that Eli goes over defenses relentlessly with the aid of his brother. I'm thinking that this has more to do with playing against the 3-4 than it does with Eli not knowing how to read defenses. I dislike the 'Boys rather strongly, so it hurts to admit, but Hasslebeck looks twice as confused whenever we play the Cowboys than he does against any other team. The 3-4 just seems to throw a wrench in the Hawks system, but it seems like the Cowboys version messes with the timing even more. Hasselbeck just does not get any passes off in rhythm against them.

He didn't look too good against the Steelers 3-4 this year either......... :D

By the way,

Who do you think reads defenses better ?

Ben Roethlisberger

or

Eli Manning

We all know that Eli goes over defenses relentlessly with the aid of his brother. I'm thinking that this has more to do with playing against the 3-4 than it does with Eli not knowing how to read defenses.

Agreed. Eli may have a number of shortcomings, but he's not Jeff George or Randall Cunningham.

Peyton has always had problems with Phillips' 3-4 defenses... not to mention Belichick and LeBeau's. And we all know that he knows how to read defenses.

Yep, I agree....Eli had so much trouble reading the 3-4 defense and missing the Mike LB that went off for his best game of the year in week one against those who accuse him of not being able to read the Def. I find this report laughable....but, maybe it is the center just confirming who he thinks the Mike LB is?

Yep, I agree....Eli had so much trouble reading the 3-4 defense and missing the Mike LB that went off for his best game of the year in week one against those who accuse him of not being able to read the Def. I find this report laughable....but, maybe it is the center just confirming who he thinks the Mike LB is?

maybe because its easier to pick up the mike that job was given to the center so eli could read the rest of the defense :D

I mean centers are the 2nd most important player in the game :D

that is the first job of the center every single play for most teams. The problem with the 3-4 is that teams try to count it the same way as the 4-3. They take the 3-4, identify the Mike, then try to count the strongside OLB more or less like a DE in a 4-3. If you can't figure out which IILB is acting as the Mike for that play, you are going to have a hard time figuring out which OLB to count as a DE.

Maybe it's time to add Peyton & Eli to a long list of smart brother/dumb brother combos. These quickly come to mind:

- Jimmy & Billy Carter

- Bill & Roger Clinton

- Alec & pick-your-own Baldwin

Which one of any of these combos qualifies as smart? Are you using the IQ of a box of rocks as your threshold?