[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2nd Most Important Position?

Easy n Dirty

2nd Most Important Position  

75 members have voted

1. 1. After QB, which is the most important position for a football team?

• RB
    • WR
    • TE
    • Center
    • Guard
    • Tackle (Off)
    • D End
    • D Tackle
    • Linebacker
    • Cornerback
    • Safety
    • Kicker
    • Punter

Intersting Poll in Sports Illustrated this week - they asked a bunch of NFL players which is the second most important position on the football field, after QB. I won't publish their results until after we have enough votes here, please don't post results if you've seen the SI article, I'm curious to see how The Huddlers rank it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing DE. Off tackle would be my second choice, but a good mobile qb with pocket presence negates the need for a great off tackle. An outstanding DE can take over a game defensively. A good DE limits the number of times a defense has to blitz, allows DB's to play more man, and limits the amount of time the DBs have to cover. A great DE can make a poor secondary look good.

while its not going to be an option i would think Offensive Line would be the most important unit on a football team with DL a close 2nd...they dont say that the game is won in the trenches for nothing

+1. I would think O-line has to be the next most important. I voted for Tackle (O-line).

The positions I considered, in order were:

Tackle (Which side depending on the QB, but generally Left Tackle) Which got my vote.

Center, who handles the ball on as many plays as the QB and coordinates the oline.

Linebacker, thinking of the Mike and calling the defense on the field, although this is not the case 100% of the time.

DTackle

Corner

DEnd

fwiw I dont think QB is the most important position on a football team...they are the one that gets the glory or the grief but they are in no way the most important part of a team(just look to the trent dilfers of the world)....has a team ever won anything with a horrible to barely adequate OL?

Tackle (Which side depending on the QB, but generally Left Tackle) Which got my vote.

Center, who handles the ball on as many plays as the QB and coordinates the oline.

Linebacker, thinking of the Mike and calling the defense on the field, although this is not the case 100% of the time.

DTackle

Corner

DEnd

for me it would be DT after the OT....LBs find it hard to do their jobs if the DL isnt keeping blockers off of them

fwiw I dont think QB is the most important position on a football team...they are the one that gets the glory or the grief but they are in no way the most important part of a team(just look to the trent dilfers of the world)....has a team ever won anything with a horrible to barely adequate OL?

I understand what you are saying, but if you are talking about a single player you have to go QB. "OL" is 5 players.

I'm guessing DE. Off tackle would be my second choice, but a good mobile qb with pocket presence negates the need for a great off tackle. An outstanding DE can take over a game defensively. A good DE limits the number of times a defense has to blitz, allows DB's to play more man, and limits the amount of time the DBs have to cover. A great DE can make a poor secondary look good.

I agree with most of the comments so far, O and D line are where the rubber hits the road. But to play devils adcocate, a good shut down corner can free up a man to blitz or for run support.

DTackle

Corner

DEnd

I voted LB, just for this reason, calling the defensive play and audibles.

I agree with most of the comments so far, O and D line are where the rubber hits the road. But to play devils adcocate, a good shut down corner can free up a man to blitz or for run support.

And just to play Devil's Advocate back, what good does a shutdown corner do you if you are playing the Vick version Falcan'ts? :D

JMO, the most important positions tend to be the ones that coordinate the other players. That is generally QB, Center, and MLB. I put LT in the poll because protecting the QB's blindside is such an important thing, I think it's worth more than the value of the C or MLB.

And just to play Devil's Advocate back, what good does a shutdown corner do you if you are playing the Vick version Falcan'ts? :D

JMO, the most important positions tend to be the ones that coordinate the other players. That is generally QB, Center, and MLB. I put LT in the poll because protecting the QB's blindside is such an important thing, I think it's worth more than the value of the C or MLB.

Also, a there is no such thing as a shut down corner if the D-line can't get any pressure on the QB. You give a QB enough time and there is no CB that can cover a WR for that long.

If I were a GM I'd start building my team with the O and D lines.

Edited by Sam

Here's a scenario for you...

Let's say the entire NFL were to become a redistributed communism where money was not a factor and all the players from all the teams were released into a pool from which entirely new teams would be drafted. Who do you think the first 2 picks would be?

I think the answer to that question tells you what the most important position is, and I would bet just about anything it would be Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and not necessarily in that order.

How about the top 5?

Bingo! I would say my answer to this poll could actually be QB.

Let's say the entire NFL were to become a redistributed communism where money was not a factor and all the players from all the teams were released into a pool from which entirely new teams would be drafted. Who do you think the first 2 picks would be?

I think the answer to that question tells you what the most important position is, and I would bet just about anything it would be Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and not necessarily in that order.

How about the top 5?

You saying that I should re-think my fantasy football drafting strategy? I would still contend that in the real world if your scenario would pan out that LT2 would still be the #1 pick.

How about the top 5?

Manning and Brady backers wont like to hear this but if they had to play on a team with a horrible Oline they would not be the QBs they are today.

and just because those 2 might be the 1st two picks doesnt make them the most important.

People that picked RB and LB have no clue. Average players at these positions are made to look good by having good players at other positions.

I am incredibly surprised that nobody has picked CB. I don't know that I have ever seen a really good team that didn't have good corners. Indy is the only team I can think of, and even them, their corners were/are good at what they need them to be good at.