[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quinn possibly to be shopped in offseason

keggerz

BJ can you change the title to Quinn possibly to be shopped in offseason

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7477172?source=rss

What to do with Quinn?

Some have speculated that Brady Quinn will be playing elsewhere next year. When Cleveland moved into the first round to nab the Notre Dame star quarterback, many considered it a major coup.

That was before Derek Anderson started playing. After Charlie Frye flamed out in the first game, and the coaching staff decided Quinn wasn't ready, Anderson was considered a stop-gap option. Now, Anderson, who will be a free agent at the end of this season, might be on the cusp of a big contract. Anderson has been the primary reason the Browns have turned their fortunes around and saved coach Romeo Crennel's job.

Now, the team can't turn to Quinn even though he looked good in the preseason. How can Anderson be denied? Expect Quinn to be shopped in the offseason, possibly garnering a first-round pick. There will be plenty of teams interested, perhaps including Minnesota, Baltimore, Atlanta, Chicago and Carolina.

Edited by DMD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article is from September. I think Romeo's comments aren't quite as relevant now. :D

good catch....came across my ticker and i neglected to look at the date :D

sure enough now that ticker link has been updated to say that he(Quinn) could be shopped in the offseason

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7477172?source=rss

What to do with Quinn?

Some have speculated that Brady Quinn will be playing elsewhere next year. When Cleveland moved into the first round to nab the Notre Dame star quarterback, many considered it a major coup.

That was before Derek Anderson started playing. After Charlie Frye flamed out in the first game, and the coaching staff decided Quinn wasn't ready, Anderson was considered a stop-gap option. Now, Anderson, who will be a free agent at the end of this season, might be on the cusp of a big contract. Anderson has been the primary reason the Browns have turned their fortunes around and saved coach Romeo Crennel's job.

Now, the team can't turn to Quinn even though he looked good in the preseason. How can Anderson be denied? Expect Quinn to be shopped in the offseason, possibly garnering a first-round pick. There will be plenty of teams interested, perhaps including Minnesota, Baltimore, Atlanta, Chicago and Carolina.

Edited by keggerz

What I find interesting about this is that even with his overall good numbers, we saw Anderson fold at the end of the Browns-Steelers game. That was a winnable game, and he had more than one opportunity to put it away.

If I were a member of the brass in Cleveland I would not be so quick to anoint Anderson and toss Quinn aside. I'd at least make sure to take a look at the player in a game situation before I made that decision.

we saw Anderson fold at the end of the Browns-Steelers game.

Well, it was against the #1 pass defense. I watched that game really fast (god bless DVR), so I don't recall if his 2nd half performance was more about him or the defense, but I wanna say the defense. :D

What I find interesting about this is that even with his overall good numbers, we saw Anderson fold at the end of the Browns-Steelers game. That was a winnable game, and he had more than one opportunity to put it away.

If I were a member of the brass in Cleveland I would not be so quick to anoint Anderson and toss Quinn aside. I'd at least make sure to take a look at the player in a game situation before I made that decision.

sorry but thats the stupidest thing i ever hear...let me start off with the guy saying anderson folded in the pitt game...first off he faced one of the toughest defenses in the league, he led his team down for a fg to either tie or win (i forget, but dawson missed a 52 yarder), romeo sweet romeo screwed up and called a time out to decide if they should challenge...made the challenge and lost...no timeouts...now im not saying anderson is the 2nd coming of manning...but at least paint a proper picture of what happened last weekend....2ndly with quinn taking snaps...give him playing time so they could shop him?!?!? are you freakin stoopid, hes a rookie...his value is high because we dont know what he can do...you think cleveland brass help their cause if they put him in there and he screws up thus killing his value...hes got value right now because of the unknown...he gets put in there throws 3 or 4 picks and they kill his value...why would you take that risk and have any negative performances when potential may be enough to get something if they were to trade him...i saw they hold on to him and see how derek does next year a la brees/rivers...one guy is a terrible football analysis, the otehr has no business sense...you two should stick to "who do i start?" postings.

I thought they'd use Quinn as leverage to sign Anderson but then heard Quinn is only guaranteed $8 million over the next 5 years. If true they could keep both.

Or trade Quinn to get their 1st round draft pick back. And probably a better one than they would have had at that. If they feel like Anderson is their guy going forward, why not trade Quinn and draft a 1st rounder at another position of need (LIKE DEFENSE).

sorry but thats the stupidest thing i ever hear...let me start off with the guy saying anderson folded in the pitt game...first off he faced one of the toughest defenses in the league, he led his team down for a fg to either tie or win (i forget, but dawson missed a 52 yarder), romeo sweet romeo screwed up and called a time out to decide if they should challenge...made the challenge and lost...no timeouts...now im not saying anderson is the 2nd coming of manning...but at least paint a proper picture of what happened last weekend....2ndly with quinn taking snaps...give him playing time so they could shop him?!?!? are you freakin stoopid, hes a rookie...his value is high because we dont know what he can do...you think cleveland brass help their cause if they put him in there and he screws up thus killing his value...hes got value right now because of the unknown...he gets put in there throws 3 or 4 picks and they kill his value...why would you take that risk and have any negative performances when potential may be enough to get something if they were to trade him...i saw they hold on to him and see how derek does next year a la brees/rivers...one guy is a terrible football analysis, the otehr has no business sense...you two should stick to "who do i start?" postings.

BREATHE... everything's...gonna...be...all... right.

:D

:D

Or trade Quinn to get their 1st round draft pick back. And probably a better one than they would have had at that. If they feel like Anderson is their guy going forward, why not trade Quinn and draft a 1st rounder at another position of need (LIKE DEFENSE).

Yes but keep him until they sign Anderson as leverage. I thought they would do that with Brees but then he got hurt. SD left him in that game too long.

sorry but thats the stupidest thing i ever hear...let me start off with the guy saying anderson folded in the pitt game...first off he faced one of the toughest defenses in the league, he led his team down for a fg to either tie or win (i forget, but dawson missed a 52 yarder), romeo sweet romeo screwed up and called a time out to decide if they should challenge...made the challenge and lost...no timeouts...now im not saying anderson is the 2nd coming of manning...but at least paint a proper picture of what happened last weekend...

TRUTH.

sorry but thats the stupidest thing i ever hear...let me start off with the guy saying anderson folded in the pitt game...first off he faced one of the toughest defenses in the league, he led his team down for a fg to either tie or win (i forget, but dawson missed a 52 yarder), romeo sweet romeo screwed up and called a time out to decide if they should challenge...made the challenge and lost...no timeouts...now im not saying anderson is the 2nd coming of manning...but at least paint a proper picture of what happened last weekend

Actually, He did not lead his team down the field for a winning fieldgoal. If you watched the game, which I did, you would know that the offense did not get the ball into what was considered to be Dawson's maximum range. They were about 5 yards shy of the longest kicks Dawson was making in the pregame. And lo and behold, Dawson's kick was straight and true....and short. By a few yards.

And perhaps you also forget that Anderson couldn't move the ball in the second half at all, and the team only scored on a KRTD. And that Anderson had the ball with 3 minutes left to play, and failed to score on 2 drives even though the defense came up big and got them that second chance. All he had to do was get within FG range.

No...Anderson did not get it done when he needed to, and he did nothing in the second half. Top defense or not, it is his job to move the ball and put points up. Crying about how good the other defense is never won a football game for any NFL team in my memory.

I am not saying he sucks. He could be fine. I am saying there is no reason not to look at a QB that the team traded up into the first round to draft. It would be stupid not to.

I'm not sure they could get a 1st rounder for him. Remember, he was dropping like a rock before Cleveland stepped back in to get him.

I'm not sure they could get a 1st rounder for him. Remember, he was dropping like a rock before Cleveland stepped back in to get him.

True but he moved the team pretty well in pre season. I thought his stock went up then.

Actually, He did not lead his team down the field for a winning fieldgoal. If you watched the game, which I did, you would know that the offense did not get the ball into what was considered to be Dawson's maximum range. They were about 5 yards shy of the longest kicks Dawson was making in the pregame. And lo and behold, Dawson's kick was straight and true....and short. By a few yards.

And perhaps you also forget that Anderson couldn't move the ball in the second half at all, and the team only scored on a KRTD. And that Anderson had the ball with 3 minutes left to play, and failed to score on 2 drives even though the defense came up big and got them that second chance. All he had to do was get within FG range.

No...Anderson did not get it done when he needed to, and he did nothing in the second half. Top defense or not, it is his job to move the ball and put points up. Crying about how good the other defense is never won a football game for any NFL team in my memory.

I am not saying he sucks. He could be fine. I am saying there is no reason not to look at a QB that the team traded up into the first round to draft. It would be stupid not to.

i admit he struggled...its pitt many teams do...the 2nd half was rough for sure, but DA took what the defense gave them...no turnovers, but you dont think missing the two timeouts that romeo wasted prevented them from getting closer...dawson is an nfl kicker...game on the line, no timeouts...52 yard is a good place to get your kicker too...dont forget their was no time or timeouts....given the situation it would be stupid to give quinn time...cleveland is finally on the winning track...so your gonna risk jeopardizing the locker room and team morale by benching the guy that has been an instrumental part of the turnaround and who is also one of the best qbs in the league right now (calm down, i just mean his play for this year...)for a rook who has done nothing to deserve a look this year? your insane...you dont think putting in quinn and seeing him struggle would affect his trade value (if thats what they choose to do?)...how many times are nfl rooks successul in there debuts? so your crossing your fingers hoping he tosses a couple tds...when his value should be good as is on the bench, considering he did good in the preseason...its risk and reward...sure there is a chance he does well and increases his value...but the downside of poor performances outweighs the upside considering he has upside in his favor already because he was a first round pick...that came late to training camp...man your trippin.

I think the biggest reason he dropped was those teams passing him up, didn't need a passer. If they shop him, teams that need a QB all have a shot at him, regardless of the draft order.

And, what Randall said.

he sure is no God Brady :D

Any trade would require Cleveland to take an accelerated cap hit on his signing bonus. His bonus was 7.75 mil over 5 years, so they would need to absorb a bit over 6 mil. There is no evidence that they would be able to get picks or players to compensate for that hit as they would certainly need even more cap room to pay anyone new.

The only way Quinn plays this year is if the Browns get eliminated from playoff contention or DA gets injured. With a 5-4 record and relatively light remaining schedule, they are strong contenders for the wild card, so I wouldn't even be worried about it. The way things go in the NFL, there's a ton of teams playing for the last wild card spot through week 17.

So... Not going to happen. No way. No how. Not this year.

Edited by The Irish Doggy