[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quinn possibly to be shopped in offseason

keggerz

given the situation it would be stupid to give quinn time...cleveland is finally on the winning track...so your gonna risk jeopardizing the locker room and team morale by benching the guy that has been an instrumental part of the turnaround and who is also one of the best qbs in the league right now (calm down, i just mean his play for this year...)for a rook who has done nothing to deserve a look this year? your insane...you dont think putting in quinn and seeing him struggle would affect his trade value (if thats what they choose to do?)...how many times are nfl rooks successul in there debuts? so your crossing your fingers hoping he tosses a couple tds...when his value should be good as is on the bench, considering he did good in the preseason...its risk and reward...sure there is a chance he does well and increases his value...but the downside of poor performances outweighs the upside considering he has upside in his favor already because he was a first round pick...that came late to training camp...man your trippin.

I gotta agree with Mr. Textbrick here. There's no reason to put Quinn in the game. The Brownies are in the playoff picture, and if you're gonna trade Quinn, you don't risk injury or kill the winning image he has right now. Also, Anderson is an amazing story for the Browns this year. Why screw with the mojo?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest reason he dropped was those teams passing him up, didn't need a passer. If they shop him, teams that need a QB all have a shot at him, regardless of the draft order.

And, what Randall said.

for some reason this topic is firing me up...lets take your scenario...anderson finishes off the year probably tossing 26tds but they are out of the playoff hunt...with 3 games left...quinn goes in, does reasonably well...where does that leave them? trade anderson and take a risk that quinn isnt the real thing? nope, they probably roll with DA next year...then they might trade quinn whos value increased or hold him one more year and hope DA is the real thing...but will hang on incase his is not (similar to brees, remember rivers was on the bench two years)

scenario two

quinn goes in 3 games and stinks it up...they decide they roll with DA one more year...quinn's value depreciates.

bad or good, they will likely roll with DA one more year...because they will not decide even if quinn gets in for a few games...you only hurt your team for benching a player that has been doing well and you risk kilin quinns value...what happens if quinn gets in there and the offense doesnt score...they roll from a top 5 offense in the league to one that doesnt? where does the blame go? thats right folks .brady quinn...thank you and i accept your apologies.

I gotta agree with Mr. Textbrick here. There's no reason to put Quinn in the game. The Brownies are in the playoff picture, and if you're gonna trade Quinn, you don't risk injury or kill the winning image he has right now. Also, Anderson is an amazing story for the Browns this year. Why screw with the mojo?

Mr. Textbrck...yes me english second language.

i admit he struggled...its pitt many teams do...the 2nd half was rough for sure, but DA took what the defense gave them...no turnovers, but you dont think missing the two timeouts that romeo wasted prevented them from getting closer...dawson is an nfl kicker...game on the line, no timeouts...52 yard is a good place to get your kicker too...dont forget their was no time or timeouts....given the situation it would be stupid to give quinn time...cleveland is finally on the winning track...so your gonna risk jeopardizing the locker room and team morale by benching the guy that has been an instrumental part of the turnaround and who is also one of the best qbs in the league right now (calm down, i just mean his play for this year...)for a rook who has done nothing to deserve a look this year? your insane...you dont think putting in quinn and seeing him struggle would affect his trade value (if thats what they choose to do?)...how many times are nfl rooks successul in there debuts? so your crossing your fingers hoping he tosses a couple tds...when his value should be good as is on the bench, considering he did good in the preseason...its risk and reward...sure there is a chance he does well and increases his value...but the downside of poor performances outweighs the upside considering he has upside in his favor already because he was a first round pick...that came late to training camp...man your trippin.

Hey, So-crates, I didn't say they should have put Quinn in that game, or in the next game, or even in a game this season. I said that if I were a member of the Cleveland coaching staff I would be darn sure to see him in a game situation before I cast him aside. And a major component of that is that I have already seen Derek Anderson not get it done in a critical game situation in tough conditions. The fact is that this team has won a few games, but is not really threatening to do anything significant. The best interests of the franchise should be what is considered first, not the poor wittle feewings of the NFL professionals in the locker room.

Anderson is having a decent season. I am not trying to take away from that. I am saying that unless you know Anderson is the long term answer, which clearly nobody does, then you need to make sure you properly evaluate the investment you made in Quinn. Why is that so hard to see?

Your comments about what Dawson should and should not be able to do as an NFL kicker are meaningless. Before every game coaches see what a kicker's range is on that day. Many things affect that range, but notably weather conditions, temperature, field condition, and injury. I don't claim to know what the set of conditions were for Dawson, I just know that they did not make it into his predetermined range. You can blame the coach all day long. My point is that Anderson only had to do that once in the entire second half, and that game is at least going to OT. And he couldn't do it. Now, I never said that means they should toss him on the trash heap like a used tissue. I am just saying that he is not playing at a level that would make any GM ignore the QB they picked in the first round.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Hey, So-crates, I didn't say they should have put Quinn in that game, or in the next game, or even in a game this season. I said that if I were a member of the Cleveland coaching staff I would be darn sure to see him in a game situation before I cast him aside. And a major component of that is that I have already seen Derek Anderson not get it done in a critical game situation in tough conditions. The fact is that this team has won a few games, but is not really threatening to do anything significant. The best interests of the franchise should be what is considered first, not the poor wittle feewings of the NFL professionals in the locker room.

Anderson is having a decent season. I am not trying to take away from that. I am saying that unless you know Anderson is the long term answer, which clearly nobody does, then you need to make sure you properly evaluate the investment you made in Quinn. Why is that so hard to see?

Your comments about what Dawson should and should not be able to do as an NFL kicker are meaningless. Before every game coaches see what a kicker's range is on that day. Many things affect that range, but notably weather conditions, temperature, field condition, and injury. I don't claim to know what the set of conditions were for Dawson, I just know that they dod not make it into his predetermined range. You can blame the coach all day long. My point is that Anderson only had to do that once in the entire second half, and that game is at least going to OT. And he couldn't do it. Now, I never said that means they should toss him on the trash heap like a used tissue. I am just saying that he is not playing at a level that would make any GM ignore the QB they picked in the first round.

dude, what im saying is that putting in Quinn for a handful of games this year doesn't give them any valuable information to decide they want to keep him or trade him. Like I said, if he performs well in the last 3 games, what does that tell you? That they should roll with him and trade Anderson? Probably not. If he does poorly, does that tell them you roll with DA for life and try to get what you can for Quinn? The answer is also no. By not playing Quinn this year actually gives them more options because they will be able to preserve whatever perceived value he has for being a first round pick. My point is that, you risk damaging his perceived value if he plays poorly. You gain no information on whether you keep him or not by putting him in for a few games. The best scenario, is playing with DA one more year (considering he continues with what he is doing) and trade Brady sometime next year. I don't have alot of NFL history to bank on, but Schaub is the only one I can think of that has garnered real trade value based on a small handful of games (and he was a monster in those games). Teams out there will remember the rob (or Doug) Johnson and Scott Mitchells out there...You came out of left field telling DA owners should be wary of Quinn taking time and I'm just pointing out all the reasons why you are so grossly incorrect.

Oh, and JMO, the best scenario is not to trade Quinn, period. He's cheap, and he can sit in the system and learn. And if Anderson struggles, they have a nice back-up plan.

The only point I tried to make, that for some reason you are not hearing, is that casting Quinn aside after all of 9 decent games by Derek Anderson would be foolish, especially without having seen him in a real game

Any trade would require Cleveland to take an accelerated cap hit on his signing bonus. His bonus was 7.75 mil over 5 years, so they would need to absorb a bit over 6 mil. There is no evidence that they would be able to get picks or players to compensate for that hit as they would certainly need even more cap room to pay anyone new.

The only way Quinn plays this year is if the Browns get eliminated from playoff contention or DA gets injured. With a 5-4 record and relatively light remaining schedule, they are strong contenders for the wild card, so I wouldn't even be worried about it. The way things go in the NFL, there's a ton of teams playing for the last wild card spot through week 17.

So... Not going to happen. No way. No how. Not this year.

+1. He has more trade value if he NEVER GETS ON the field. Can't trade him if you put him in and he stinks it up (which is probably what would happen)...

Any trade would require Cleveland to take an accelerated cap hit on his signing bonus. His bonus was 7.75 mil over 5 years, so they would need to absorb a bit over 6 mil. There is no evidence that they would be able to get picks or players to compensate for that hit as they would certainly need even more cap room to pay anyone new.

So a Quinn trade is probably moot.

If that's true, and the Brownies are not inclined to trade Quinn for financial reasons, then Anderson is the one more likely to be leaving.

The fact is that this team has won a few games, but is not really threatening to do anything significant.

:D

no idea how you've come to this conclusion. i think what they HAVE done is significant and i believe this team certainly has a chance to really surprise the rest of the way out.

So a Quinn trade is probably moot.

If that's true, and the Brownies are not inclined to trade Quinn for financial reasons, then Anderson is the one more likely to be leaving.

from Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Browns could slap the franchise tag on impending restricted free agent Derek Anderson after the season.

no idea how you've come to this conclusion. i think what they HAVE done is significant and i believe this team certainly has a chance to really surprise the rest of the way out.

:D What are they going to do? Sneak into a WC berth at 8-8 and get bounced in the first round?

That's about the best they can hope for if their QB can't move them into FG range for an entire half against a good defense. And I don't find that to be very significant.

Cleveland's schedule. They could finish 10-6.

11 Balt

12 Hous

13 Ari

14 NYJ

15 Buf

16 Cin

17 SF

:D What are they going to do? STORM into a WC berth at 8-8 10-6 and get bounced in the first round?

That's about the best they can hope for if their QB can't move them into FG range for an entire half against a good defense. And I don't find that to be very significant.

Does that make it better?

:D What are they going to do? Sneak into a WC berth at 8-8 and get bounced in the first round?

Anderson is still so green I think you are being very hard on him. How many really significant games has he played in? I count one. And in that game he played one of the top defenses in the league in their house. He proceeded to help the team to a solid lead that the team promptly pissed away. Partly because the offense couldnt move the ball and partly because the defense fell apart. Then he leads the team on a drive at the end of the game with no time outs (thanks to a horrible coaching decision) and sets the team up for a game tying field goal attempt. I understand it was a long shot, but it was a shot. I wouldnt call that a bad performance for his first time on the big stage. And if Romio doesnt waste 2 timeouts in fell swoop he probably gets them into realistic Dawson range.

Anderson is still so green I think you are being very hard on him. How many really significant games has he played in? I count one. And in that game he played one of the top defenses in the league in their house. He proceeded to help the team to a solid lead that the team promptly pissed away. Partly because the offense couldnt move the ball and partly because the defense fell apart. Then he leads the team on a drive at the end of the game with no time outs (thanks to a horrible coaching decision) and sets the team up for a game tying field goal attempt. I understand it was a long shot, but it was a shot. I wouldnt call that a bad performance for his first time on the big stage. And if Romio doesnt waste 2 timeouts in fell swoop he probably gets them into realistic Dawson range.

I am not being hard on him. I am trying to explain to people that for some reason have cotton stuffed in their ears (or in this case have foggy glasses) that nothing that Anderson has done should compel anyone to ship Brady Quinn anywhere!

The fact is that Anderson failed in that spot. Sure, it's a small sample size, but it's all we have. He wilted under pressure with a hugh lead and the team lost. Had he succeeded, we could look at that and say that it was something to hang his hat on for now, and let's see where it takes us. But he didn't.

And even if the Browns did hold on to win that game I would think it would be mental midgetry to trade Quinn away after the 9 or so illustrious starts of Derek Anderson's career.

I see you are still bitter over this post:

I remember the year leading up to Superbowl XX in the NFL mainly for 2 reasons. First, even though I had known a little bit about the Pats, it was the year that I became a football fan. It was a great year in Boston sports, and I was already a big Celtic fan. I paid a little bit of attention to the Bruins, and started paying attention to baseball as well. Up until that '85 season I had only really paid close attention to basketball. So this season of Patriots football was kind of a trial by fire season, trying to keep up with the craziness of it all. The second reason was litstening to people constantly bashing Tony Eason. I didn't really understand why. I didn't know as much about the game then and could only really see that Eason had quarterbacked the team into the Superbowl What was so bad about that? These days I would recommend someone asking the same question to ask that question of Rex Grossman, if they could find him hiding in the corner of a Chicago dive bar wishing he could smuggle a bottle of Grey Goose into Brian Greise's locker without getting intercepted by security on his way there.

That season was fun for me, up until the Superbowl actually began and I saw what was among the worst beatings I ever saw a football team take. Superbowl XX was painful to watch as a Pats fan. It started out great after the Franklin field goal and a nice, cushy 3-0 lead. Unfortunately the Pats would not see another scoring opportunity until the 4th quarter in complete garbage time. That team was dominated like a willing slave to a 6' tall leatherclad mistress with a whip fettish. It was like the Patriots offense was running into a stone wall all day, managing 7 yards of rushing offense for the game and giving up 7 sacks, including a Safety to the Bears D. The first half after that FG was a nightmare. from Wiki:

That game set some expectations for me in terms of what I expect from football teams on the field. That is show up and play like you deserve to be on the field or don't show up at all.

As a 14 year old kid, I never complained about the game. I sat stunned watching how good the Bears were. I wasn't happy, and maybe even allowed myself to stray into the slightly depressed zone for 3 or 4 minutes. But I realized that it was just a game, and a professional game. I have never, not on that day or since, complained about the excellence of a professional sports team save perhaps to my Red Sox buddies and then admittedly out of jealousy of the Damn Yankees (Funny thing to write today :D ). And even then I was just frustrated by how good they were and never thought that they should try to be 'less good' or not put in a complete effort for all 27 outs. I just wanted my Red Sox to be better.

I expect every professional sports team to give it their all for the entire game they play. The only time I will complain about this is when a team gives less. It's why we buy tickets, and watch and support teams.

I don't have the time or inclination to go respond to all of the threads regarding the Patriots and their 'scoring when they aren't supposed to', or whatever the heck people are trying to argue. The fact is that they are playing excellent football for 60 minutes every game, and I am happy because it is what I expect a team that I am a fan of and support to do when I invest my time and money into them. How can anyone expect less?

If I were a member of the brass in Cleveland I would not be so quick to anoint Anderson and toss Quinn aside. I'd at least make sure to take a look at the player in a game situation before I made that decision.

This is the comment that started all the ruckus.

A perfectly innocent comment. It spiraled into "Caveman Nick hates our freedom".