[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Remember the doctor that said AD should be shut down?

CaP'N GRuNGe

"HERE'S DR. JOHNNY"

A league source has forwarded to us an e-mail message that casts some doubt on the motives of Dr. Johnny Benjamin, who recently has been quoted in the media regarding injured NFL players, including Vikings running back Adrian Peterson and Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

On Monday morning, before there was even a diagnosis on the condition of a knee Peterson injured on Sunday, a P.R. firm was pimping Dr. Johnny as someone who could offer commentary on the situation.

"Vikings fans, fantasy team owners with Peterson on their team, and fans of the NFL in general are wondering what to make of the situation," the e-mail said. "Will he back this season? If so, when? Why on earth would he lobby his coach to return to the game? How will team medics and the league treat him if the injury is more serious than first analyzed?

"Dr. Johnny Benjamin, nationally renowned chief of orthopedics at Indian River medical facility and spinal injury and surgeon expert is weighing in on Peterson's situation. Having worked with a myriad of pro athletes across a plethora of sports, Dr. Benjamin is familiar with AP's predicament. He routinely gives advice to athletes in his situation and not just that of the medical sort. He has very strong opinions about the treatment of pro athletes, the nature of non-guaranteed contract in the NFL, and how all of this contributes to the business of medicine in pro sports, and the decision making of pro sports doctors -- whom Benjamin has dubbed Spin Doctors."

So Dr. Johnny has an agenda. The agenda, we believe, is to get his name in the paper and elsewhere, presumably in an effort to become the next Dr. James Andrews -- or the knees, backs, and necks equivalent of Dr. Phil.

And so Dr. Johnny will take contrarian viewpoints in an effort to foment controversy, even without having any first-hand knowledge about the patient's medical condition.

We're not saying that we don't like contrarian viewpoints, especially when it comes to the medical treatment that players get from their teams. But such viewpoints tend to carry more weight when coming from someone other than a guy who apparently is embracing the contrarian platform so that he can become more "nationally renowned."

So it's no surprise that Dr. Johnny's opinions ended up in print on Tuesday, given that the e-mail invited writers to "peak with Dr. Benjamin today about Adrian Peterson's injury and what fans can expect for the star running back, as well as other issues presented with athletes who depend on getting back on the field no matter what the cost."

It still seems awful risky for a such a talented back when the team isn't going anywhere.

I agree with you if they didn't have 3 wins with 7 games left they can make it to 10 wins so it's not over

But there are 24 teams with more wins than Minn so it's unlikley but not impossible for them to make the play-offs

If they lose the next two games its over so in a small way they are playing for something.

I would like to see them shut down AP I have Chester.

I agree with you if they didn't have 3 wins with 7 games left they can make it to 10 wins so it's not over

But there are 24 teams with more wins than Minn so it's unlikley but not impossible for them to make the play-offs

If they lose the next two games its over so in a small way they are playing for something.

I would like to see them shut down AP I have Chester.

BOOO...

but if his injury is bad enough to keep him out a full month...then he should not return....

I don't want to have to make a tough decision during the playoffs..

Remember in the other plethera of threads involving Peterson that the one guy who claimed to be the Physical Therapy Doctor student...or something like that. Remember when he said that you just don't walk away from ACL injuries....IOW....you are pretty much incapable of making cuts. Well..did anyone catch the Oregon game Thursday night. Dixon tore his ACL....he was walking just fine on the sidelines and he even navigated the steep stairs into the lockerroom without crutches or help...he even "bounced" down them.

So, with all that being said, it seems Dr. Johnny is not a fan of rushing back an injured NFL player due to the non guaranteed nature of the contracting of said player. This is a position I can agree with and applaud. Not to mention he could have the added virtue of being correct on his call here.