[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When is a stud no longer a stud?

J-Mo

I post this as I now have 4 viable options at RB and 4 viable options at WR. I seem to get burned every week with one or more of my "studs" being out performed by the new guy or the guy with the match up. So we always say you have to play your studs. But how do we know they still are the studs? When does the flash in the pan become the stud?

Share your criteria for stud-dom and removal from stud-dom.

In my book, a stud is a guy that I start every week with confidence regardless of the matchup. If he has a down game, I don't sweat it, because I have confidence that he will perform at a high level the following week.

I use the word confidence, because for me, it has nothing to do with a player's reputation or where a website has him ranked on any given week. It's all in my gut.

Two examples: Last week, I started Frank Gore. On paper, he should have had a big game. Most sites had him ranked in the top 15 and were projecting at least 100 combined yards and a score. However, I did not start him with confidence. I knew in my gut that he had the potential to come up small because regardless of what he did last year, how talented he is, or how good of a matchup he has, he is currently not a stud.

On the other hand, I started DJ Hackett in the same league with complete confidence. I honestly believe he will get me a 100 yards and a score every single game. Obviously that's not going to happen, but as long as Hackett and Hasselbeck stay healthy, I think the odds are heavily in my favor on any given Sunday. So in my book, Hackett is a stud, even though he doesn't have the track record that a lot of other guys have...yet.

Edited by tomfin2000

That's a tough question to answer, especially this year. Last week I started FWP and M. Morris and left Graham on the bench and Fast Willie didn't get it done and Graham did very well. I've been fighting the Steve Smith dilemma ever since Delhomme went down also. The only constant for me this year has been Brady, and I do start him every week. lol!

A stud puts up big numbers almost every week. Your stud(s) is/are who is thought of when someone thinks about your team. They are your team's identity. If you think of a team in your league and don't think of any of his players right away, he had better get a stud.

I think his question is about SJax (was considered a stud at season start) being outperformed by Grant (when will he reach stud status), and maybe Driver by Galloway???

Exactly (except it was "her" question). And where are we today? My benched non-studs (Grant and Jones) earned 35 and 23 pts, respectively. Now I must chew my fingernails until Sunday to find out if my "stud" SJax and oft top 10 rated MJD can beat these two. It seems like MJD does well on my bench but sucks when I play him so he has been on the bench of late. I started him this week (is he borderline stud, best of rest?) so blame me when he trips over his shoelaces in warmups and gets a Lisfranc injury. And Ryan, grated, a rookie, has yet to have a really bad game. So does a rookie need a whole season to approach "stud" or can you call it now based on success of team and likelihood of 1) being ahead and 2) picking up pts/rec from Favre? When does the fact the Rams suck impact SJax "stud" status?

So I played Driver a known stud and left Galloway on the bench again. This is good news for Galloway owners. He should do well. But this time out my "stud" Driver got me studly points. Sure I'd like to see him in the endzone but this week was way better than the less than 10 pts I got in a past week.

One person suggested the stud on your team is the person whom your peer owners know as your team. I have Romo. So that is my calling card. Other than that this is my first year not sucking so I don't think I'm "known" in the league. I think folks are surprised when I win. They expect to beat me.

So we wait for Sunday and add that data to the stud calculation.

Here's an interesting thread about stud status using Wes Welker as the debated player:

:D

I would have to say that you know a guy has reached stud status when he becomes a no-brainer start every week. If you have to consider whether or not to start a player because you might like someone else's matchup better, then you're not dealing with a stud. Guys on my team I consider studs: LT, AP, Gates, Andre, Braylon. I start these guys every week without question.

Guys like Welker and D.J. Hackett aren't quite at that level. With Welker, he put up his huge numbers when Ben Watson was out. I don't feel the same no-brainer confidence with him now as I did when Watson was out. And with Hackett, he just hasn't been producing long enough for me to have that same level of confidence either. If Coles was healthy on my team, I'd have some tough decisions to make.