[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aikmen and his comment.

skylive5

For the NFL Network, both DirecTV and Dish offer it in their more basic packages.

I had received several e-mails from NFL saying to tell Comcast to put NFLN on their basic package. Then later on saying that you could (encourage?) switch to satellite and giving the phone numbers to DirecTV and Dish.

I disagree. Comcast isn't that great but they are at least insisting that people that want NFL Network should pay for it rather than upping the rate for all their subscribers, the vast majority of whom are not in the least interested. Comcast put NFL Network straight into the Sports Package, which I already had so it cost me nothing. The whole package is only $5.99 a month and includes at least seven other channels - it's a good deal for a sports fan.

I have to agree with Ursa here. The $5.99 a month for that sports tier on Comcast isn't a big deal... and I'd be kind of pissed if I didn't want it, but had to pay for it anyway through a higher basic premium. I'm already paying over $70 a month for one of the middle tier digital packages, which is a f'n rip-off to begin with. And as little love as I have for Comcast, they threw enough money at MLB earlier this Spring to keep DirecTV from getting an exclusive license for the Extra Innings pakcage... AND they kept the price the same.

I can't believe that Dish Network is still able to stay afloat. Have they gotten around to offering local network affiliates yet?

I've got Verizon FIOS and we get the NFL network for free. We can also watch the games live over the internet on the NFL network. I was at the inlaws house yesterday and i connected my laptop to their 46 inch LCD TV and we watched the Colts game on the NFL network via the Internet through Verizon.

It was a nice setup.

Edited by ThatDude

I've got Verizon FIOS and we get the NFL network for free. We can also watch the games live over the internet on the NFL network. I was at the inlaws house yesterday and i connected my laptop to their 46 inch LCD TV and we watched the Colts game on the NFL network via the Internet through Verizon.

It was a nice setup.

Dude!...you were a hero!

RCN, the little guy cable company vs. Comcast here in B-Town, this year added NFL N games to the line up...in HD too. no additional cost.

always had the station, but not the games.....i like to think it i had something to do with it. i called (bitched) and emailed (ranted)

all last season before each game.

did Time Warner pick up the games this year?

Edited by pig devilz

I have to agree with Ursa here. The $5.99 a month for that sports tier on Comcast isn't a big deal... and I'd be kind of pissed if I didn't want it, but had to pay for it anyway through a higher basic premium. I'm already paying over $70 a month for one of the middle tier digital packages, which is a f'n rip-off to begin with. And as little love as I have for Comcast, they threw enough money at MLB earlier this Spring to keep DirecTV from getting an exclusive license for the Extra Innings pakcage... AND they kept the price the same.

Comcast are in pretty much the exact same battle with the Big 10 Network - they also insist their product goes on the basic tier where everyone will have to pay for it. Comcast says it can go in the sports tier and that's it. Right now BTN has made no headway and IMO are unlikely to given the limited clout they have compared to the NFL.

BTW, I think the NFL Network / Comcast battle is going to court next summer.

I disagree. Comcast isn't that great but they are at least insisting that people that want NFL Network should pay for it rather than upping the rate for all their subscribers, the vast majority of whom are not in the least interested.

Funny, they have no problem doing that for HBO, HBO2, HBO3, HBO4, Stars 1-12, Encore 1-497 . . .

Why do you think basic digital cable costs eighty bucks when DirecTV has twice as many channels for forty?

Peace

policy

Trying to find the "good guy" in this pissing match between the NFL and cable companies is like trying to figure out who to root for if Hitler and Stalin had a knife-fight.

Alas, poor Aikmen...got lost somewhere in this thread in the battle between Cable and the NFL Network.

Personally, think this will be his last year. Between making really great comments and having to be saddled with Buck (who sucks worse than any announcer of anything in history) I am sure he will be happy to go somewhere else.

Funny, they have no problem doing that for HBO, HBO2, HBO3, HBO4, Stars 1-12, Encore 1-497 . . .

I have a middle-tier digital package with Comcast and don't get any of the HBO or Starz channels bundled in. I wish they'd give me HBO for free as, unlike the other two, I'd actually watch it on a regular basis.

Why do you think basic digital cable costs eighty bucks when DirecTV has twice as many channels for forty?

Again, that's a massive amount of hyperbole, but any difference in pricing between Comcast and DirecTV is all due to one thing: market share. Comcast has the vast majority of it in much of America, while DirecTV is still fighting for it. DirecTV gives all sort of nice offers, has awesome customer service, and pays out the nose for the Sunday Ticket and massive advertising because they HAVE to. If they didn't have the Sunday Ticket, they'd be as irrelevant as Dish Network. If/when they get Comcast's subscriber base, they'll act just like Comcast.

And as full of crap as both of these companies are, the NFL and Big Ten are even extra-douchy for trying to tell Comcast which tier they need to put their packages on and then taking them to court over it. GMAFB.