[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What sells you on a player?

keggerz

In the Ryan Grant thread, Crazysight basically said he isnt sold on grant yet and that got me to thinking....there have been players that

were looking pretty good but for some reason i wasnt sold on them and at times i was right and others i was wrong...this year there are a

couple of those players:

Ryan Grant (talking with Caveman_Nick back in week 4 I told him he should pick him up...in reality i should have)

Selvin Young...seems like a guy that some are sold on and some arent

Andre Hall...same thing but mostly based off a long TD run for most people....I do know that hall was rostered weeks ago in most of my leagues before the long TD run)

Derek Anderson is one of those players for me...for some reason i am still not 100% sold on him but I do know that i should be.

Marion Barber is one that many seemed split on...and many that werent sold on him saying that he wouldnt get that many td's and stuff like that

jason campbell probably has had a lot of doubters

vince young is another for me...not 100% sold on the guy yet

well this isnt really about particular players but why and when and what it takes to sell you on someone.

Edited by keggerz

For me it is consistent production against not only the top DEF's but also producing when it is expected.

Derek Anderson is a great example for this question. As you remember we disagreed about a trade I made a few weeks back. I was sold and you were not. It's all very subjective. Unfortunately in Fantasy we can not always wait to be sold on a guy before we grab him. This has become so competitive that you have to play the hunch and hope for the best!

I think Derek Anderson failures in the 4th quarter(before last week) are a factor. I like his playoffs schedule.

As posted in the Grant thread I think running effectively when the opposition knows you are running is also a factor, but in the Packers case more a team issue than just Grant. I think he has done well with what he has been given.

Young looks good and looks explosive. I expect some breakaways from him.

I had Andre Hall in preseason in an MFL league so he was available in august.

For me it is consistent production against not only the top DEF's but also producing when it is expected.

Derek Anderson is a great example for this question. As you remember we disagreed about a trade I made a few weeks back. I was sold and you were not. It's all very subjective. Unfortunately in Fantasy we can not always wait to be sold on a guy before we grab him. This has become so competitive that you have to play the hunch and hope for the best!

so true so very true....for me and my take on ryan grant....i really liked him early in the season and wanted to stash him on my DTS but to do so I would have had to cut someone....that someone probably should have been Jeff Webb but because I own Bowe on DTS too I looked at Webb as a bit of a hedge if i needed a WR late in the year if something were to happen to bowe I expected Webb could get a shot....in the end i made the wrong decision.

with regards to Young...INJURIES can sway me from being sold on a player too...and at every stop young has had he has been bitten by injury...i cant remember but i think the average career in the NFL is like 3-4 yrs long...couple that with a player that has never been able to stay healthy and it takes that much more for me to be sold on them

Production,who they produced against and style of offense the team runs are the first things I look at.But Ill also take a shot at a player that catches my eye on a couple plays and shows potential to get better.

Edited by xtra

I look for natural physical talent and instincts, and then situation. Very rarely will a player without physical gifts and instincts perform well, in any situation. It is simple. Know football. Watch lots and lots and lots of football. Be able to recognize talent when you first lay eyes on it. There is no other way around this.

Dunno. I recall being sold on Hines Ward and having him on fantasy teams back in '99 and '00 (but sadly not in '01) just because I liked something about the way he played the game. I recall seeing that Marshall Faulk and Adrian Murrell were the only back to lead their team in rushing AND receiving in '95 and thinking this Murrell kid might have something (and I later traded him for Faulk in a keeper league so that worked out well for me). I recall thinking that a TE with the receiving skills of Owen Daniels could do very well for himself in the right offense.

I also recall being sold on Jay Graham coming out of college; I recall being sold on Alex Van Dyke's production at Nevada. I was sold that Tony Richardson would become the feature back in KC ahead of Priest Holmes (hey, look at his production as a FB from 99-00, I still think someone missed a good opportunity to make him a bell cow).

The trick is being right big-time more than you're wrong big-time. And being right on low-risk, high-reward things (if we're applying this to fantasy) as often as possible.

I'm pretty well sold on Grant, though not completely. Of all the runningbacks I have on my team right now (I also have Selvin Young, Ron Dayne, WIllie Parker), I'm the most sold on him for the time being, ie. he is the one back right now whom I would want to make sure is in my lineup. He still has to pass the test of time and consistency though as we've only seen him for a few games thus far.

Anderson I'm very well sold on so long as he stays in his current system and the team continues to stay in contention (ie. Quinn stays on the bench). I think his situation behind a young, quality line with receivers like Braylon Edwards, Jurevicious and Kellen Winslow is a very good one to be in. His 6 foot 6 height probably doesn't hurt either. If he was to be traded to another team I don't know that I would value him as much though.

Edited by Crazysight

2 words I dont blame anyone for not being sold on Grant yet...

Samkon Gado

[/quote/]

Ahem

RB 27 Gado, Samkon CAR 18 YDS 46 AVG 2.6 TDS 1 [b]Miami Dolphins [/b]

I think the point he was making was Gado exploded onto the scene and faded so he considers the jury still out on Grant.I like the fact that grant runs hard and makes nice cuts..He could be the real deal

Edited by whomper

Considering the reading material tootie prefers at his home, I'd say it's the tight pants that sells him on a playa.

I had a feeling you were sending them to me. Now the question is was it meant as a practical joke or as an attempt to gauge my interest in order to plan your next move? :D

negative

You didn't have to clear yourself Gil. No matter how much you've poked me with a stick or called me Tootie (which by the way I brought on myself) or any other name I know that you're a stand up guy, respect you and the advice/opinions you've shared on these boards and therefore, know you'd never stoop to that level.

Ahem

RB 27 Gado, Samkon CAR 18 YDS 46 AVG 2.6 TDS 1 [b]Miami Dolphins [/b]

I think the point he was making was Gado exploded onto the scene and faded so he considers the jury still out on Grant.I like the fact that grant runs hard and makes nice cuts..He could be the real deal

Correctamundo. And I agree with you about Grant possibly being for real.