[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN.COM Power Poll is out ........................

wildcat2334

More rankings for you all- minor changes vs the BCS- starting with WVU at #1..............

espn.com Power 16- I think they have the 2 L teams correct- GA, USC should be ahead of LSU/VT/OKL imo.

1 West Virginia (8) 10-1 246 The stakes in the Backyard Brawl have never been higher. A victory over Pitt sends WVU to the BCS title game. Who saw that coming after the loss to South Florida two months ago?

2 Missouri (7) 11-1 245 It's the season for miracles. The Tigers weren't ranked until late September, but now they're one win away from New Orleans. Christmas arrives early if Mizzou beats Oklahoma (ABC, 8 p.m. ET Saturday).

3 Ohio State 11-1 211 You won't find bigger Oklahoma or Pittsburgh fans than the folks in Columbus. The Buckeyes' holiday wish includes an upset ... and the way this season has gone, don't be surprised if they get it.

4 Georgia 10-2 202 Is any team playing better than Georgia? The Dawgs don't have an SEC East title to show for it, but they've won six straight games and keep their hopes alive for an at-large BCS bid.

5 USC (1) 9-2 190 There probably won't be a national title for Troy this season, but if USC beats UCLA (ABC, 4:30 p.m. Saturday), the Trojans will claim an unprecedented sixth straight Pac-10 title and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

6 LSU 10-2 179 The Tigers have pulled out close games all season, but their triple-overtime loss will hurt for a while. LSU's national title hopes are likely done (thanks Darren McFadden), but it can claim the SEC crown versus Tennessee.

7 Oklahoma 10-2 147 DeMarco Murray won't play in the Big 12 championship, but it won't matter if Allen Patrick runs like he did versus Oklahoma State. Patrick's line: a career-best 202 yards on 29 carries and two TDs.

8 Kansas 11-1 142 The Jayhawks were second in the nation in scoring (46 ppg), but KU didn't score in the first half and was held to 28 against Missouri. Kansas' 42 yards on the ground didn't help. The Tigers finished with 151.

9 Virginia Tech 10-2 140 Since the loss to BC, Va. Tech has won four straight, outscoring its opponents 144-59. The Hokies get a rematch when they face the Eagles for the ACC championship on Saturday (ABC, 1 p.m.).

10 Florida 9-3 114 Even a broken hand can't stop Tim Tebow or his Heisman campaign. Tebow threw for three TDs and rushed for two more in the rout of Florida State. If you're counting, that's 29 TD passes and 22 rushing.

11 Arizona State 9-2 80 The Sun Devils don't just lose to USC; they lose big. ASU has lost eight straight to the Trojans by an average of 19 points. The good news? They've won five of seven in games after USC.

12 Hawaii 11-0 77 Hawaii is the only unbeaten team in the Top 25. With its first outright WAC title in hand, the Warriors' next goal is to finish off an undefeated regular season. Will a BCS berth follow suit?

13 Boston College 10-2 73 Matt Ryan finished the regular season with 28 TDs, breaking Doug Flutie's mark, as the Eagles broke a 15-game losing streak vs. Miami. BC can make its first BCS bowl appearance with a win over the Hokies.

14 Illinois 9-3 54 The Illini haven't played since Nov. 17, but they continue to move up in the rankings. They'll be rooting hard for Ohio State to play in the BCS title game because that might mean a trip to Pasadena.

15 Tennessee 9-3 44 Is it time to step off the "Phillip Fulmer must go" bandwagon now? The Vols are the unlikely SEC East champions and will look to claim their first conference title since 1998 against LSU.

16 Clemson 9-3 11 After throwing only 22 passes in his first two seasons, Cullen Harper impressed as a full-time starter. Harper finished the regular season completing 67 percent of his passes with 27 TDs and only six picks.

I take it the () denotes #1 votes, so there are only 16 people voting. Who are they? It couldn't mean the previous week's rank, as USC lost to Stanford a long time ago. And who's the homer who voted them #1? Even I'm not that silly....

I take it the () denotes #1 votes, so there are only 16 people voting. Who are they? It couldn't mean the previous week's rank, as USC lost to Stanford a long time ago. And who's the homer who voted them #1? Even I'm not that silly....

Certainly not perfect by any stretch......

The 16 are ESPN College Gameday crew, college football analysts, Mel Kiper, their radio peeps, etc.

Colin Cowherd who I guess loves all things USC is the guy who put them #1

If OU beats Missouri again, Id put them at #2 at worst in this kind of poll.

In fact if there was a playoff, Id bet OU and SC would meet for the title.

Of course you would. And how bad would OU beat SC in that game, by 50 or 60 ? Of all the blind homers, you are clearly the blindest.

I dunno, but how f'in cool would an 8 team playoff be..........

WVU

MIZZOU

OSU

UGA

USC

LSU

OKL

KU - tough call here, VT/FLA/ASU right there -

It would be absolutely AWESOME !!! And we are all being cheated every year that a playoff system doesn't exist. It really is a damn shame.

Certainly not perfect by any stretch......

The 16 are ESPN College Gameday crew, college football analysts, Mel Kiper, their radio peeps, etc.

Colin Cowherd who I guess loves all things USC is the guy who put them #1

Cowherd is also goes to great length to say how he's not into the standard thinking about who should be ranked. He didn't drop LSU when they lost to UK in OT because he still thought they were a better team than OSU. He's really big on who you've played. In short, he seems to look at it more the way we look at the NFL. People tend to be less dogmatic about losses there. Maybe because a play-off means they're not the end all.

That said, those aren't the rules in college and Mizz, WVU, and OSU "deserve" to be ranked ahead of everyone else. They play in major conferences and have less losses than their peers. That doesn't, however, magically make them the best 3 teams in the country.

I would imagine his vote for USC is because he thinks that they're playing the best football right now and that, if there was a play-off they'd have the best chance of winning it all. That is certainly not a stretch.

Cowherd is also goes to great length to say how he's not into the standard thinking about who should be ranked. He didn't drop LSU when they lost to UK in OT because he still thought they were a better team than OSU. He's really big on who you've played. In short, he seems to look at it more the way we look at the NFL. People tend to be less dogmatic about losses there. Maybe because a play-off means they're not the end all.

That said, those aren't the rules in college and Mizz, WVU, and OSU "deserve" to be ranked ahead of everyone else. They play in major conferences and have less losses than their peers. That doesn't, however, magically make them the best 3 teams in the country.

I would imagine his vote for USC is because he thinks that they're playing the best football right now and that, if there was a play-off they'd have the best chance of winning it all. That is certainly not a stretch.

totally- I am with Colin on many of his points about college football- losses are certainly overrated, and yer NC, and who you play is underrated, and causes an uneven playing field.

I can see the logic putting USC one- but like you mentioned, WVU, Mizzou are the clear #1. #2 at this point under the current system.