[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Condition of Heinz Field

gilwiggum

Is anyone else surprised at the terrible condition of Heinz Field last night? Why doesn't the league force them to use Field Turf like most of the other stadiums? With Steelers, University of Pittsburgh and Penn High School Football games played here, I would think the league would make the Steelers change to field turf so that the field is actually playable. There is precedence for this as I believe the league forced the Patriots to do this a few years ago because their field was notoriously bad.

Also the decision to resod the field two days before a huge rainstorm was not smart at all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the league force the Patriots? Or did the Pats replace it because it needed to be? There is a difference. And I don't think that any team has ever been forced to install FieldTurf. The field wouldn't have been so bad last night if it wasn't for the buckets of rain that came down in the 36 hours prior to the game.

Did the league force the Patriots? Or did the Pats replace it because it needed to be? There is a difference. And I don't think that any team has ever been forced to install FieldTurf. The field wouldn't have been so bad last night if it wasn't for the buckets of rain that came down in the 36 hours prior to the game.

Just found a link that it was a team decision. Regardless shouldn't teh grondscrew consulted a weather report?

Enough already about the dang field.

It rained. A LOT.

LOL When we turned on ESPN for the game and saw what was going on I knew we would be in for a great game of honest to God football. I love those conditions....it's what football is all about. Was kinda sad that the rain lightened up 'cause I wanted to see just who the "mudders" were. :D

LOL When we turned on ESPN for the game and saw what was going on I knew we would be in for a great game of honest to God football. I love those conditions....it's what football is all about. Was kinda sad that the rain lightened up 'cause I wanted to see just who the "mudders" were. :D

:D

I'm with you on that one.

Yeah. Those were the conditions we DREAMED about when we all were kids. :D

Yes but you can't install a new field in november and expect it to take in a northern city. I heard a new field was installed over the old and that isn't going to work even without rain.

Artificial turf sucks.

The problem isn't playing on natural grass, it's the mentality that the field has to be pristine when the game is played. That leads to stadiums having brand new sod laid down that never has a chance to root properly.

It's okay for the grass to be somewhat brown when a game is played in late November or December. At least it's a well established, firm surface.

Please do away with artificial turf & domed stadiums. Football was meant ot be played in the elements on natural surfaces. What a bunch of mamby-pambies football fans have become.

Artificial turf sucks.

The problem isn't playing on natural grass, it's the mentality that the field has to be pristine when the game is played. That leads to stadiums having brand new sod laid down that never has a chance to root properly.

It's okay for the grass to be somewhat brown when a game is played in late November or December. At least it's a well established, firm surface.

Please do away with artificial turf & domed stadiums. Football was meant ot be played in the elements on natural surfaces. What a bunch of mamby-pambies football fans have become.

I'm on this page too ... play in the mud ... it's okay.

Artificial turf sucks.

Bernie Kosar used to say he loved playing on the green painted mud at home. Just flatten down the mud, don't paint it, and play.

It's late fall, admit it and play. Stop pretending grass grows in northern cities in november.

Artificial turf sucks.

+1. I couldn't agree more.

Artificial turf sucks.

I'm on this page too ... play in the mud ... it's okay.

That's three of us. I found the game last night fascinating. It was a night for the real players - look how well Ward coped with the conditions. He's a real gamer.

That's three of us. I found the game last night fascinating. It was a night for the real players - look how well Ward coped with the conditions. He's a real gamer.

Everyone at my house really enjoyed the game. In face, my the granddaughter that lives up here (and is in her first year of FF) was hyped for the game when we turned it on and saw what the conditions were. She was helping point out the mudders... LOL ... and was most impressed with Ward... as she should have been.

The Pittsburgh Ownership should be more embarassed about cancelling the National Anthem than the awful field conditions. I mean come on, a lousy 2 and a half minutes to sing the National Anthem and they decide not to do it. Disrepectful IMO.

Facts would help here. It was not the Pittsburgh ownership that canceled the national anthem, it was ESPN.

National anthem benched

Vince Neil of Motley Crue warmed up several hours before game time, belting out the National Anthem before even the stadium gates opened.

As it turned out, that's the only time he got to sing it Monday night.

A 15-minute postponement of the kickoff because of lightning resulted in the cancellation of Neil singing the "Star-Spangled Banner" before the game, something few could remember ever failing to occur at a Steelers game.

"I think it was, in hindsight, the wrong decision," Steelers President Art Rooney II said.

Rooney said Steelers officials were going to lead Neil onto the field to sing the anthem as the players came out of the locker room to warm up. However, Rooney asked his officials to wait because the fans, too, took cover when lightning struck and few were in their seats.

By the time the crowd returned to the stands, ESPN and the league did not want the anthem interfering with the broadcast.

"They waited, and then the league and the network said now we don't have a window," Rooney said.

"It's unfortunate and certainly something we hope never happens again."

Combined with the massive playing surface problems, "it was a tough night," Rooney said. But ... "We won. The last minute of the game went right; that was about it."

Facts would help here. It was not the Pittsburgh ownership that canceled the national anthem, it was ESPN.

National anthem benched

Vince Neil of Motley Crue warmed up several hours before game time, belting out the National Anthem before even the stadium gates opened.

As it turned out, that's the only time he got to sing it Monday night.

A 15-minute postponement of the kickoff because of lightning resulted in the cancellation of Neil singing the "Star-Spangled Banner" before the game, something few could remember ever failing to occur at a Steelers game.

"I think it was, in hindsight, the wrong decision," Steelers President Art Rooney II said.

Rooney said Steelers officials were going to lead Neil onto the field to sing the anthem as the players came out of the locker room to warm up. However, Rooney asked his officials to wait because the fans, too, took cover when lightning struck and few were in their seats.

By the time the crowd returned to the stands, ESPN and the league did not want the anthem interfering with the broadcast.

"They waited, and then the league and the network said now we don't have a window," Rooney said.

"It's unfortunate and certainly something we hope never happens again."

Combined with the massive playing surface problems, "it was a tough night," Rooney said. But ... "We won. The last minute of the game went right; that was about it."

That's stupid ... "interferring with the broadcast" ... we could have done with less of the MN crew talking before the game. Hell, for that matter we could have done with less talking by the MN crew DURING the game.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Other than the fact that I was frustrated that the Steelers couldn't score on all those opportunities inside Dolphins territory, and I was concerned that we might end up losing or tying the game with the Dolphins, I thought the game was AWESOME !!!!! I loved playing in those types of conditions, and I love watching football in the mud. I enjoyed it. and was just glad the Steelers got out of there with a win.

gee whiz!...we wouldn't want that to happen.

how quickly we forget....shame, shame.