[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nebraska may have found their coach

Rockerbraves

It's now being reported that Nebraska has called a players meeting later today to announce not introduce who will be their next head coach.

Word is that it will be LSU's defense coordinator Bo Pelini who is back in Baton Rouge preparing LSU's defensive plan for the upcoming SEC Championship Game against Tennessee.

http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=7414487

Pelini's defenses will likely do much better in the Big 12 and conferences like the Big 10 that are not quite as athletic as the SEC. IMO his personnel up in Nebraska will be much more suited for his non aggressive defensive style of play.

Part of the problem I think with LSU defense this year is that Pelini either changed his aggressive strategy or was forced to by Coach Miiles to play alot more soft zone coverage. The problem with that is that most of the current LSU defensive players were Nick Saban recruits where he selected them more for their ability to play in an aggressive man to man type defense.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Pelini's defenses will likely do much better in the Big 12 and conferences like the Big 10 that are not quite as athletic as the SEC. IMO his personnel up in Nebraska will be much more suited for his non aggressive defensive style of play.

Part of the problem I think with LSU defense this year is that Pelini either changed his aggressive strategy or was forced to by Coach Miiles to play alot more soft zone coverage. The problem with that is that most of the current LSU defensive players were Nick Saban recruits where he selected them more for their ability to play in an aggressive man to man type defense.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. What better player type than a great athlete to react to the play as it comes to you. Look at the Tampa 2. The Bucs dominant D for 10 years or so was a sit back and react type D. It required athleticism and speed to work. This was illustrated very clearly last year when they were awful and why this year after drafting and signing a bunch of speed they are back up again. The key to any system, particularly a system that asks great athletes to sit back and let the game come to them instead of attacking, is getting the players to by into it. And that is part of being a great coach. Oh yeah, and teams don't often give up big plays in the running game by playing "soft" and reacting. It usually comes from attacking and over-committing. I think Pelini's quality is seriously in question. I'm not saying he won't be good but he certainly wasn't this year.

Not that I would expect you to know, but when Pelini first came to LSU he played a similar type defense that you have seen the Tigers play of late. He was crucified by the fans and the press for playing a soft zone type defense. To his credit he quickly adjusted his style to the players that were here and put together some great defenses. It just seems lately that he has reverted back to his old ways or like I said before Coach Miles has told him to hold back some. Either way this is not the defense LSU fans are use to seeing.

Good example was this last weekend in OT. 4th and 10 stop them and the Tigers win yet Pelini rushed essentially 3 guys when in the past he would have brought the house like he did at Alabama. Again I don't know who is calling the shots on defense Les or Bo but whomever it is has cost LSU a chance for a NC.

Again I don't know who is calling the shots on defense Les or Bo but whomever it is has cost LSU a chance for a NC.

Let's hope for Nebraska's sake that it's Miles. Because if it's not, no matter how many reasons/excuses you make you can't change the fact that the guy has 6-8 guys on D that could be playing on Sundays and he just flat out ain't gettin it done.

LMMFAO, The Big 12 has 4 of the top 7 scoring offenses in Div 1 Football. These teams will trash that defense, let alone one with less talent like Nebraska will have.

Kansas - 2nd

Oklahoma - 3rd

Missouri - 6th

Texas Tech - 7th

I love how you throw in not quite as athletic with the Big Ten. Just a joke rocker. If that was the case then why does the SEC have a LOSING record vs the Big Ten in the BCS era? Certainly they shouldn't due to having such an advantage. (Not to mention getting to play nearly all of those games in SEC Country)

Brian the only BCS Bowl game I recall where a Big 10 team played the SEC was Florida vs. Ohio State. And don't forget that year's Big 10 Champion didn't backdoor into the NC game they earned it by holding onto the number #1 ranking most of the season. Heck the SEC team almost didn't get in that game because most Big 10'ers didn't think a SEC team would be a worthy opponent. Needless to say the SEC entered that game a decisive underdog. Possibly becasue they weren't playing the game in SEC country. :D

Needless to say the final score Florida 41 Ohio State 14 says alot of the SEC supremacy over the Big 10.

Brian the only BCS Bowl game I recall where a Big 10 team played the SEC was Florida vs. Ohio State. And don't forget that year's Big 10 Champion didn't backdoor into the NC game they earned it by holding onto the number #1 ranking most of the season. Heck the SEC team almost didn't get in that game because most Big 10'ers didn't think a SEC team would be a worthy opponent. Needless to say the SEC entered that game a decisive underdog. Possibly becasue they weren't playing the game in SEC country. :D

Needless to say the final score Florida 41 Ohio State 14 says alot of the SEC supremacy over the Big 10.

Dude, he said BCS era. As in, all bowl game since the BCS was adopted. Last year they beat us 2-1 with Arkansas and Tenn losing to Wisc and Penn St.

None the less, it is always nice to be reminded of the fact that so many were outraged that FL and not a Michigan team that had already lost to OSU was getting a shot at the NC game only to see FL just destroy OSU. :D

Dude, he said BCS era. As in, all bowl game since the BCS was adopted. Last year they beat us 2-1 with Arkansas and Tenn losing to Wisc and Penn St.

None the less, it is always nice to be reminded of the fact that so many were outraged that FL and not a Michigan team that had already lost to OSU was getting a shot at the NC game only to see FL just destroy OSU. :D

Don't tell me Brian is bringing that up again. :wacko: What is the record in the BCS era?

Pretty sure SEC owns the Big 10 in head to head contest overall. :D

Don't tell me Brian is bringing that up again. :D What is the record in the BCS era?

Honestly, I don't know the answer. However, if the Big 10 does have a good record vs the SEC during the era, you can hardly blame him.

Don't tell me Brian is bringing that up again. :D What is the record in the BCS era?

No the Big Ten does, which WAS my point. And once again, you're gonna point to 1 game? ONE GAME over a team that HISTORICALLY the SEC ownz anyway? Please. Bottom line is, the conferences have been pretty evenly matched for the past decade, and like I said before I give the SEC a slight edge due to putting more players in the NFL, but on the field, the Big Ten has had the very slight edge. But the fact that it is any edge at all, totally debunks your theory on how the SEC has so much more athleticism and speed, because if that was true, than the SEC would have a DECISIVE edge. They don't, therefore, you're wrong.

No the Big Ten does, which WAS my point. And once again, you're gonna point to 1 game? ONE GAME over a team that HISTORICALLY the SEC ownz anyway? Please. Bottom line is, the conferences have been pretty evenly matched for the past decade, and like I said before I give the SEC a slight edge due to putting more players in the NFL, but on the field, the Big Ten has had the very slight edge. But the fact that it is any edge at all, totally debunks your theory on how the SEC has so much more athleticism and speed, because if that was true, than the SEC would have a DECISIVE edge. They don't, therefore, you're wrong.

Well, to be picky, the fact that there are more SEC players playing on Sunday does speak to the speed and athleticism advantage the SEC holds. Of course, last time I checked, they don't determine the winner of games by how fast you can run (even though Rocker would have you believe that might as well be how they settle OT :D ). So, your point is certainly a valid one in the over-analyzed "who's the better conference" argument but not so much in terms of where the speed is.

No the Big Ten does, which WAS my point. And once again, you're gonna point to 1 game?

I won't point to one game if you don't point to an era. :D

Brian, you always say the proof is on the field, right?

SEC vs Big Ten Head-to-Head Football Record

The SEC leads the Big Ten with a 63-45-2 all-time record. Is that fair enough? :D

Edited by Rockerbraves

I won't point to one game if you don't point to an era. :D

Brian, you always say the proof is on the field, right?

SEC vs Big Ten Head-to-Head Football Record

The SEC leads the Big Ten with a 63-45-2 all-time record. Is that fair enough? :D

I live in the modern day, there is no doubt, the SEC dominated the Big Ten, particularly in the 90's mostly at Ohio State's expense. BTW, the BCS has been around for awhile now, and I think it's a pretty fair assessment of the modern day, particularly since those are the players in a lot of cases that represent teams in the NFL now.

And if you put a team of NFL players, with the best Big Ten players against the best SEC players, you'd have a pretty evenly matched games. The speed thing gets way over hyped, again, if there was that big of a difference, we'd simply see MORE games like Florida vs Ohio State. We don't, so just end it.

Yea, I've never seen Nebraska's defense as bad as it was this year. It had been over 40 years since they had played that poorly. There is no deus ex machina to come fix Nebraska. I do think Pelini is a straight forward, honest coach and brings a breath of fresh air to the Nebraska program (when compared to coach-speak callahan). Its tough for a program like Nebraska to compare to when it was dominate since so much has changed in college football in the last decade. I just think the Nebraska fans want a coach that will try to foster a program on physical play and hard work. Pelini (like many head coaches) will only be as affective as the staff he has around him. That will play itself out. Pelini has been around the NFL and several major programs in the college ranks (New England, Green Bay, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and LSU) so he may be able to put together an effective staff. We'll see how everything goes, but I think he is an upgrade over Callahan (or at least Cosgrove) immediately. Lets just hope the rest of his staff pans out and they can get some recruiting going.

Yea, I've never seen Nebraska's defense as bad as it was this year. It had been over 40 years since they had played that poorly. There is no deus ex machina to come fix Nebraska. I do think Pelini is a straight forward, honest coach and brings a breath of fresh air to the Nebraska program (when compared to coach-speak callahan). Its tough for a program like Nebraska to compare to when it was dominate since so much has changed in college football in the last decade. I just think the Nebraska fans want a coach that will try to foster a program on physical play and hard work. Pelini (like many head coaches) will only be as affective as the staff he has around him. That will play itself out. Pelini has been around the NFL and several major programs in the college ranks (New England, Green Bay, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and LSU) so he may be able to put together an effective staff. We'll see how everything goes, but I think he is an upgrade over Callahan (or at least Cosgrove) immediately. Lets just hope the rest of his staff pans out and they can get some recruiting going.

Not sure how it will play out, but heard Coach Miles say today that Coach Pelini has gotten permission from Tom O to coach LSU's defense in the NC game. Shouldn't hurt Nebraska's recruiting since it will be a dead period and actually could help with recruiting. The only challenge I see from Pelini's side is that may take away from hiring and organizing his own coaching staff. Haven't made up my mind yet if it's a positive or a negative for LSU either. Of course, most LSU fans will be rooting for Bo's success up in Nebraska. :D