[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Network Broadcaster Slop

SpinalTapp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any actual ideas for who the NFL should hire to do these games? I'm not disagreeing that Gumbel is awful, but I'm interested to hear solutions. I'm drawing a blank right now on good alternatives that aren't already working games elsewhere.

I think Aikman and Phil Simms would be an all-star lineup.

:D you said already, my bad :D

Edited by Hat Trick

Gumble... yeesh. He doesn't even have a good voice for broadcasting sports. He sounds thin and wimpy.

What are the networks thinking when they hire elitist, Park Avenue, wine-and-cheese types like Gumbel and Olberman? What does Joe Average NFL Fan have in common with these guys?

The NFL and owners have been trying to build a case that consumers are somehow missing out on something by their Network not being carried by the big 2 cable companies. You'd figure this telecast would be perfect (primetime game, Favre, Romo, TO, in conference matchup between two 1 loss teams etc). If this was their A-game then I just don't see how consumers are missing out on anything.

Comcast has it right. If people like me want to pay for this dreck (bundled with the other sports channels it's actually a good deal) then fine but there's no way this should be forced down everyone's throats.

What are the networks thinking when they hire elitist, Park Avenue, wine-and-cheese types like Gumbel and Olberman? What does Joe Average NFL Fan have in common with these guys?

Fair enough but let's not be content with the likes of Irvin, Sanders and the other mindless idiots.

Frankly, I'd rather listen to Deion's analysis than Olberman's.

Gonna have to disagree here and say just about anyone (except Emmitt Smith) would make me happier than Deion Sanders.

I reckon guys like Gumble are there because the NFL wants to hit more than just 1 demographic (us).

There are TONS of local teams with guys who know what they are doing in the broadcast booth. Heck, the Rams have Steve Savard (former NFL player) in their radio booth and he does a very nice job. He knows the game, he's very well spoken and is clever and sometimes amusing. And he does this with the worst on-air partner I've ever heard, coach Jim Hanifan.

When Savard worked with Jack Snow (until his untimely death) I thought they were great. He would be tons better than Gumbel.

There was an instance where a Cowboy came off and the camera was right on him and Gumbel got the right player on his third try! I wonder how many people have actually contacted the NFLN to mention how bad Gumbel is and that they need to replace him now.

They have a board we could all go invade??

:D

Honestly, I would love to see the REAL NFL Network crew in the booth.

Rich Eisen, Adam Scheftner and Rod Woodson/Steve Mariucci would be an awesome crew imo...

I understand they aren't commentators by nature, but you know everything they say about what's happening would be interesting.

+1 Fouts is currently doing an outstanding job calling college games. Oh, and he also knows what he's talking about.

I honestly can't believe I'm going to suggest this guy either, but I heard him on the radio last night calling the game and he was GOOD.

Denny Green. He was using a bunch of coach jargon that I found fascinating. I plan to catch the Bears/Skins game on the NFL network but listen to him on the radio, old school style this week.