[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Miles to Michigan?

Rockerbraves

Thought this was an interesting take on the Miles to Michigan thing from what sounds like a knowledgeable Michigan fan. :D

Sorry it's rather long, but don't have a link. :D

From a friend at Mi

He thinks Miles, but some interesting stuff on Carr & Miles that I wasn't aware of.

The Ferentz issue is fairly complicated. Obviously, he is strongly connected with Mary Sue Coleman, and he grew up on Michigan (Royal Oak) until going to hs in PA and his daughter went to school at Michigan. As a former assistant and then head coach at Iowa, he has known Lloyd Carr for many years and they share many of the same philosophies about football (running the ball ,time of possession, playing conservatively in the 4th quarter).

Carr has been sick since around 2001, when he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. He was medicated and for the most part was fine, but there were some very noticeable declines in 2003 and 2005, and he basically has fulfilled very few of the head coaching responsibilities since September of 2006. It was set up for the past two years that Carr would retire out after this season. Carr’s contract has deferred comp provisions that don’t require him to be head coach in July, 2008 in order to get paid out, and the assistants contracts are all guaranteed through the end of the 2008 regular season. Carr had promoted Mike Debord to OC in 2006 with the hope that the former Central Michigan coach and Michigan OC (96-00), would succeed and there would be a transition with Debord as HC without any major staff changes. That plan was working pretty well, until the first half of the OSU game last year, and then things have just fallen apart.

At some point last year, Ferentz visited Bo in the hospital. While in AA, he met up with Carr and Coleman. After that conversation, I believe Carr began to see Ferentz as a viable alternative –someone that he respected that would not change things dramatically. Carr is a very strong supporter of Ferentz being the next head coach, because he really does not have any internal coaches that would be taken seriously (maybe English in a few more years, but the D struggled with 7 new starters this year and he has only had the job 2 years).

Had Carr retired last year, there would have been a very high probability that Ferentz would have become the next Michigan coach. He is a coach that is highly respected, whom Carr and Coleman consider to have a lot of integrity, and would seem to fit very well with the existing personnel at Michigan and a safe pick in that he had proven he could win the Big Ten.

Things changed dramatically after the Appalachain State loss. It was readily apparent that an offense supposedly loaded with talent (henne, hart, Long, Manningham, Arrington) was not even prepared to start the season and was being outplayed by a football minnow. I can’t tell you how pissed the season ticket holders and big $$$$ donors were after that game- unheard of at any Big ten school and especially Michigan. Then Michigan got wiped by Oregon, and Carr himself told the AD that he was definitely done-he just didn’t have the energy to do it anymore and the stress was too much for him. The team has basically gone for several years now with a head coach in name only, as English (DC) and Debord (OC) basically function independently of each other, which is why things look like a mess at times.

At that point, the donors, ticket holders and AD realized that the program was in much more of a decline than many had realized (very antiquated strength and conditioning program, poor offseason workout structure, far more disciplinary problems than in the past, and the recruiting is struggling with the Carr rumors running the past two seasons- last year they missed out on several of the top in-state kids, which is pretty rare). The big money donors and alums began looking for the homerun candidate and Miles stepped to the forefront.

Miles has a long history with Michigan. He played for Bo, he coached for Bo, he left with McCartney and coached at Colorado, and he returned to coach for Moeller. Moeller’s staff had some huge divisions amongst the coaches where they just hated each other. Guys like Miles and Kirk Cameron were seen as extremely arrogant, brash and aggressive and that did not go over well with Carr, who was the DC. When Moeller resigned and Carr became interim head coach, Miles was out there door in an instant and Cameron wasn’t far behind.

Miles’ and Carr’s dislike for each other played out on the recruiting trail for years. Miles was allegedly one of the first coaches telling kids about Carr’s health and impending retirement and that was 4 years ago. The dislike spiraled and spiraled.

This is what Carr meant in his resignation speech when he said that certain issues would be left on the recruiting trails (it was directed at Miles). But the current coaching staff (Debord, Loeffler and others) continue to just bash Miles through the media and surrogates on the message boards claiming that there are “ethical” issues concerning Miles. They are hoping that someone like Ferentz would come in and not completely overhaul the entire program, starting with firing most of them.

Miles, though, has huge support amongst the alums, big donors, and within the Athletic Department. On the internet, over 80% of the posters support Miles as the next coach in the polls. Even if he can be quirky at the end of games (not always coaching according to Hoyle like bombing it into the endzone on 3rd and 8 with 14 seconds left), he is seen as the fiery, emotional leader than can bring back the intensity and physical play Michigan has been lacking for many years now. And he is a great recruiter. He is a homerun candidate that is begging for the job (sent word to Martin that he WILL take the job if offered).

Carr, though, will not support Miles no matter what and despite their purported reconciliation. Hence, Carr and the current coaching staff are allegedly backing Ferentz as the anti-Miles candidate. This is a strong constituency because ultimately Mary Sue Coleman may cast her vote.

The third major candidate will be Brian Kelly of Cinn. He won 2 national titles at Grand Valley State (in Grand Rapids), won the MAC with Central Michigan (basically winning 80% of his games at a school that Debord couldn’t win 50% at), and is proving himself at Cinn. He has some skeletons though, as MSU did not hire him last year because of his notorious temper and a purported racial incident (was defending some players claiming that in their culture they don’t cooperate with the police after a shooting). Without a doubt though, the guy is a fiery competitor.

In the end, I think it will be Miles-but not without some shouting and hurt feelings. There is a very vocal minority very strongly opposed to his being head coach, but he is the sure fire homerun for the AD with the donors and alums. And his intense style and excellent recruiting likely has the highest ceiling as far as future success. He may not be the gamecoach that Ferentz and Kelly are, but he would overhaul the system and royally kick some ass until the things started working again. He is also aggressive in games and a dramatic departure from the ultra conservative world of Lloyd Carr, and most importantly-he goes outside of his system to hire top assistants everywhere that he has gone. Jimbo Fisher, Gary Crowton, Bo Pelini-he just goes out and hires the best guy without the cronyism.

Edited by Rockerbraves

This is interesting to say the least. Its a bit hard form me to swallow though. I find it hard to believe, with the way the sports media has taken on an almost tabloid feel, that no one gets wind of Carr's Parkinsons over the last 4 years. I also find it hard to believe that such a proud and storied program would only have a figure head as a coach. It is an interesting take though.

That seems pretty accurate and dead on. I do like Kelly but I don't know much about his personality, just his resume'. It's similar to the sweater vests.

I am editing this post to state that I hadn't heard anyting about Parkinsons but did catch wind that he wasn't the healthiest the past few years. I think it clearly showed through his teams which probably is the most frustrating thing of all the past few years.

This is probably 3 years too late.

Edited by chiefjay

Interesting stuff.

Who does LSU hire when he's gone?

Really no idea who would take over if Miles leaves for Michigan. Lots of juicy rumors floating around like Saban returning, Steve Spurrier, Rodriquez and even Del Rio from the NFL. Been a fun week trying to keep up with all the sightings around Baton Rouge. :D

Looks like LSU will lose one of their coaches on Monday according to ESPN.

Nebraska to name LSU defensive coordinator Pelini as coach

Barring any last-minute snags, LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini will be introduced as the new head coach at Nebraska early next week, multiple sources confirmed Friday.

Pelini will coach the Tigers defense Saturday in the SEC championship game against Tennessee and, according to a source close to the situation, will be in Lincoln for an announcement Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3135858

Funny, I heard from a very unreliable source yesterday afternoon that Nick Saben was seen poking around Ann Arbor. I was just going to post it for the hell of it but it's humorous to see all the rumors flying around.

The current Les Miles one does seem to have more weight than most.

Funny, I heard from a very unreliable source yesterday afternoon that Nick Saben was seen poking around Ann Arbor. I was just going to post it for the hell of it but it's humorous to see all the rumors flying around.

Saban, with the unceremonious departure from Miami, as well as his comments re:9/11 last week, is more or less done from improving his coaching situation until Alabama wins a Sugar Bowl.

Saban, with the unceremonious departure from Miami, as well as his comments re:9/11 last week, is more or less done from improving his coaching situation until Alabama wins a Sugar Bowl.

Of course. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is going down, just thought I'd pass alone yet another random rumor. Of course, if for some reason it does go down. You heard it here first :D

I'm talking about the people that really make decisions and actually know what coaches are good and who are jokes.

Brian, which coach is the joke or better yet which University is the joke? :D

Iowa - Kirk Ferentz - Annual Contract $2,840,000

2005 7-5

2006 6-7

2007 6-6

3 year record 19-18

LSU - Les Miles - Annual Contract $1,850,000

2005 11-2

2006 11-2

2007 11-2

3 year record 33-6

University of Iowa cost per win $448.421 :D

LSU cost per win $168.181 :wacko:

IF there was a vote with every AD in the country who would they rather have as their coach Kirk or Les, Kirk would have 10 times as many votes as Les. For every 110 schools Kirk would have 100 of those votes. To even compare coaches is like comparing Lombardi to Goldie Lox

There is a reason Kirk is paid almost double Les. he is a much better coach. Kirk has been rumored to so many jobs its not funny, and iowa has paid him each time someone comes calling. This is Les first time, and he sh*t the bed the way he and his team handled it.

Rocker, I ask you this. If Saban was still at LSU, what would LSU record be right now. What about last yr and the year after.

My bet they would have won the NC last yr, and be a 14 pt favorite this yr. Instead this looney toon backs into his first, and he probably is the reason LSU loses the game.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Figured those numbers would get you off Les Miles back. :D

Lets see, Les Miles takes over a team that is a SEC Contender, Ferentz takes over the worst team in the Big Ten. Iowa has struggled the last 3 years, but Miles has put together 3 good seasons playing with house money. Ferentz built 3 similar seasons (and will be identical seasons after Ohio State beats LSU), of 11-2, 10-3, 10-2. Now we'll get to see how Miles does now that he isn't playing with house money. Ferentz blitzes the SEC with this LSU team. No doubt in my mind. So does Stoops, Urban Meyer, Tressell, hell lloyd carr would blitz the SEC with this team. All of that NFL talent? Miles blunders and loses to 2 unranked opponents? Don't even compare the 2, particularly since it's a lot easier to recruit at LSU than it is at Iowa.

Well, all that and the simple fact that the Big Ten has more money in the conference, period. The whole conference benefits from teams doing as well as the Buckeyes lately. I read somewhere that Illinois getting into a BCS game, increased the Big Ten take by $4.5M, which is split up between the schools in the conference. Well, after expenses, etc.

I'll go puke now because of the Buckeye statement.

Figured those numbers would get you off Les Miles back. :D

Les is a Saban wannabee..........PERIOD.

This peice of chit holds a press conference to attack the media and ESPN and insinuates they made up the story about him going to Michigan. Then this idiot has his people negociating with Michigan the entire week to play them against LSucks.

Now, come to find out he STILL HASN'T SIGNED THE DEAL, that he Oh so preached he had taken and agreed. Why? Fact is he a not only one of the dumbest coaches in LSU history, he's a liar like their last one. He'll evendually run off the Michigan , when the Bucks own him again where he'll promptly add more Big 10 titles to Tressels mantle.