[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Slow cooked chile & lime pork tacos

Donny  Kerabatsos

I have been making these tacos for a few years now and do a lot of slow cooking. These are absolutely delicious, and hands-down my favorite slow cooked recipe. You really want to stick to the recipe as close as possible. Make sure to get the Queso Fresco cheese and prepare the tortillas as mentioned below. The Escabeche is critical as well. I was skeptical at first as it didn’t sound good to me, but it goes very well with the pork and other ingredients.

Pork

3-pound pork butt or shoulder

¼ cup chili powder

1 tablespoon coriander seed - crushed

1 tablespoon salt

2 large tomatoes – chopped

4 cloves garlic, diced

¼ cup fresh lime juice

Cut pork in half. Mix chili powder, crushed coriander, and salt. Place rub in large flat dish and roll pork in mixture. Try to use up the majority of the rub.

Place pork in slow-cooker and add tomatoes, garlic, and lime juice.

Cook pork on high for 8-10 hours.

Serve with:

Sour Cream

Fresh pico de gallo

Queso Fresco (Mexican cheese). Very key to the tacos. Much better then regular cheese for this recipe. Most grocery stores carry it.

Red Onion Escabeche – Another key ingredient for this recipe.

Corn Tortillas

Red Onion Escabeche

2 large carrots - peeled and cut in matchstick pieces

1 large red onion – thinly sliced

½ cup fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons corn oil

½ cup cilantro – coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together

Corn Tortillas

Heat some corn oil in a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Fry tortillas for 20-30 seconds per side. Place fried tortillas between two paper towels to take out excess oil.

Hard to go wrong with that. I could likely eat about 10 more of those than I should.

If you like that, look up Yucatan style roast pork. It's also served with pickled onions and employs an interesting spice mix made from annatto seeds.

good looking recipe. just a personal preference- i would sear the pork before it starts the long cooking (textural and taste thing for me)

Alternately, you can do the same thing in the oven rather than crock pot, fold the top pieces in every few hours and it gets nice and brown.

Alternately, you can do the same thing in the oven rather than crock pot, fold the top pieces in every few hours and it gets nice and brown.

nod... i haven't used crockpots/slowcookers.....

always have done things like this in the oven (still sear first though)

I have been making these tacos for a few years now and do a lot of slow cooking. These are absolutely delicious, and hands-down my favorite slow cooked recipe. You really want to stick to the recipe as close as possible. Make sure to get the Queso Fresco cheese and prepare the tortillas as mentioned below. The Escabeche is critical as well. I was skeptical at first as it didn’t sound good to me, but it goes very well with the pork and other ingredients.

Pork

3-pound pork butt or shoulder

¼ cup chili powder

1 tablespoon coriander seed - crushed

1 tablespoon salt

2 large tomatoes – chopped

4 cloves garlic, diced

¼ cup fresh lime juice

Cut pork in half. Mix chili powder, crushed coriander, and salt. Place rub in large flat dish and roll pork in mixture. Try to use up the majority of the rub.

Place pork in slow-cooker and add tomatoes, garlic, and lime juice.

Cook pork on high for 8-10 hours.

Serve with:

Sour Cream

Fresh pico de gallo

Queso Fresco (Mexican cheese). Very key to the tacos. Much better then regular cheese for this recipe. Most grocery stores carry it.

Red Onion Escabeche – Another key ingredient for this recipe.

Corn Tortillas

Red Onion Escabeche

2 large carrots - peeled and cut in matchstick pieces

1 large red onion – thinly sliced

½ cup fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons corn oil

½ cup cilantro – coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together

Corn Tortillas

Heat some corn oil in a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Fry tortillas for 20-30 seconds per side. Place fried tortillas between two paper towels to take out excess oil.

I made this today. Very nice. Lots of leftovers--also good. Thanks for the recipe.