[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wilie Parker

Crazysight

His numbers are down this year, especially in the past few weeks. I have him as one of my 3 starting runningbacks headed into the playoffs, and would like to see him have a nice game for a change but am losing confidence in him after this week showing against a poor Cincinattii defense. 28 rushes for 87 yards total, no touchdowns and 2 fumbles lost. :D

Edited by Crazysight

He plays in NE next week and who knows what that will be like? But, yeah, a rebound is very much needed!

NE does not have grass, correct? I mean they have some new fake stuff that is very much like grass but I don't think that mud is of any concern.

My opinion: He is being ridden into the ground. When RBs get beat up to this extent (25 carries a game) they get nicked and lost their speed.

He doesn't look as fast this year, and I mean from day one not just the last two games. He doesn't seem to have his home run speed.

Maybe it's the knee injury, which has been there from the preseason. He doesn't even look for the long run any more.

IMO, he looks like a smaller version of Edge James right now...

Also, Pittsburgh is throwing a LOT more this year, by evidence of Big Ben's 25 passing tds.......Gone are the days of Pittsburgh running 30-35 times a game....

Next Two weeks wont get any easier for Willie.....At New England...then At Jacksonvile, has pretty good run d....

It is a combination of things. First of all, the Steelers offensive line is below average. They simply don't open the holes that they used to. However, I can't blame it all on the offensive line. I think Parker has regressed a bit this year. He impressed me more last year with his ability to get something out of nothing. I'm not seeing the same thing this year. I still think Parker has potential to be a great back in this league, and I don't think the line is giving him much to work with, but, I'm really hoping to see him pick it up as we head towards the playoffs. This is the type of weather where you need to be able to rely on your running game. The Steelers really miss Bettis. His value at putting a team away, when they know you are running and you do it anyway, is something that simply doesn't show up on stats, but, wins games.

My opinion: He is being ridden into the ground. When RBs get beat up to this extent (25 carries a game) they get nicked and lost their speed.

Huh? This is his third year in the league with a meaningful amount of carries... and he's only 27. How is he "being ridden into the ground" with only about 950 career carries? That's nothing, in NFL terms.

It seems to me that the difference is PIT's line not run-blocking as well as they used to and that they're throwing the ball a lot more this season.

Huh? This is his third year in the league with a meaningful amount of carries... and he's only 27. How is he "being ridden into the ground" with only about 950 career carries? That's nothing, in NFL terms.

It seems to me that the difference is PIT's line not run-blocking as well as they used to and that they're throwing the ball a lot more this season.

25 carries a game, especially the type he is getting ( I'm guessing 75% power runs), wear you down during the season. Anyone who disputes that has never played a football season. Add to that the sore knee he's been playing with all season, and you get these results. They aren't bad results, but not what we expected. Not the top 5 RB people expected.

25 carries a game, especially the type he is getting ( I'm guessing 75% power runs), wear you down during the season. Anyone who disputes that has never played a football season.

Anybody who thinks that 25 carries a game for two years is an unreasonable amount of punishment on a RB's legs hasn't watched much football. Parker's knee may be an issue, but Tomlin is NOT over-using him.

Anybody who thinks that 25 carries a game for two years is an unreasonable amount of punishment on a RB's legs hasn't watched much football. Parker's knee may be an issue, but Tomlin is NOT over-using him.

He has more carries than anyone else in the league by FORTY carries! 285 with 4 games left. That will be about 380 carries. Too much IMO. He's fared better with a lighter load in the past.

He'll be approaching the dreaded 400+ touch range, meaning next year he will be a HUGH risk...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

He has more carries than anyone else in the league by FORTY carries! 285 with 4 games left. That will be about 380 carries. Too much IMO. He's fared better with a lighter load in the past.

He'll be approaching the dreaded 400+ touch range, meaning next year he will be a HUGH risk...

You're putting too much stock in the 400-carry milestone. Many players who have gone down the tubes shortly after 400+ carries have done it after MANY (not just two) years of punishment (Eddie George, Shaun Alexander) and some have been due to major injuries that had nothing to do with the number of carries the back had in the previous year (the helmet-to-knee contact that destroyed Terrell Davis' career). There are also a number of backs that have had nice seasons after hitting the mid/upper 300-carry mark (Edge, Jamal Lewis, Emmitt, to name a few).

Players get run into the ground after YEARS of 380-carry seasons, not just one.

Edited by Bill Swerski

You're putting too much stock in the 400-carry milestone. Many players who have gone down the tubes shortly after 400+ carries have done it after MANY (not just two) years of punishment (Eddie George, Shaun Alexander) and some have been due to major injuries that had nothing to do with the number of carries the back had in the previous year (the helmet-to-knee contact that destroyed Terrell Davis' career). There are also a number of backs that have had nice seasons after hitting the mid/upper 300-carry mark (Edge, Jamal Lewis, Emmitt, to name a few).

Players get run into the ground after YEARS of 380-carry seasons, not just one.

Very true Bill. But I will point out that all those guys are/were bruising RBs that were much bigger than Parker, with the exception of Emmitt. And Emmitt had mammoth holes to run through, something Parker doesn't have in the slightest. Parker is a speed guy, and is being asked to be a pounder this season...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE