[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

tom petty

tonorator

I think it's very good. While Tom Petty isn't exactly my type, he has a boatload of good tunes. He is also VERY good live, and very mellow as well. The stones and Prince were just too much, better than most of course, but I think this will probably be the best halftime show since the dude with the jetpack!

I'm pretty indifferent about Petty. He has had some decent songs, so I will tolerate it. Check that, as per usual, I will probably watch something completely different during halftime because for the life of me I just don't understand why the Superbowl Committee can't seem to find an entertainer that is even remotely contemporary. I guess I can look forward to watching the Christina Aguilera Superbowl Halftime in 30 years.

Petty would have been an amazing choice a few years ago . . . but he's REALLY starting to age disgracefully. The rakish hair and the shades don't exactly work when you look like the Cryptkeeper. Fortunately he's got a deep well of awesome songs, and his usual sideman on lead guitar is a monster. It should be a great show, though probably not as good as what Prince pulled off last year.

Peace

policy

I'm pretty indifferent about Petty. He has had some decent songs, so I will tolerate it. Check that, as per usual, I will probably watch something completely different during halftime because for the life of me I just don't understand why the Superbowl Committee can't seem to find an entertainer that is even remotely contemporary. I guess I can look forward to watching the Christina Aguilera Superbowl Halftime in 30 years.

+1

However, it probably goes without saying, but don't expect this trend to end any time soon. Ever since the JT / Janet Jackson fiasco, the NFL is scared chitless about bad PR. They'll continue to go with safe choices like Petty. Still, it is sad that a prerequisite of being a halftime show entertainer at the Super Bowl these days is to be 15+ years past your prime (and 15 years is being quite modest).

i think he's a good choice. he has wide appeal and will help keep the tv audience around into the second half...

cuz the Patriots will be up 3 TD's by halftime.

~Breakdown, go ahead and give to me....~

Huh. Imagine a NE fan trying to turn this into a thread about how much better NE is than any other team in the league. Next we'll get the posts here about how much relatively better NE is than any other team that has ever played any sport at any time. Who'da thunk it? After all, anything that has ever occurred in NFL history or is related in even a miniscule amount revolves around the 2007 NE Pats.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Hard to go wrong with aging rockers (barring Mick & the boys).

No kidding. The Stones were terrible during the XL halftime show.

Petty still puts on a pretty good live show, from what I've heard. But nobody will ever top U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" 9/11 tribute. :D

Tom Petty is the man. Thank you NFL!!!!

Oh, and its about freaking time.

Better than most the crap they put out at halftime. Petty has some solid songs so as long as they pick the right ones, it should be as good as any halftime show in recent memory (not that its saying much). Although I don't agree with some of the recent picks for halftime shows, I'd prefer classic rock compared to the britney, nsync, nelly, etc. crapfest that they used to try to jam together. LIke seeing 45 seconds of 5 different pop artists would be erased if it ended in aerosmith?

Better than most the crap they put out at halftime. Petty has some solid songs so as long as they pick the right ones, it should be as good as any halftime show in recent memory (not that its saying much). Although I don't agree with some of the recent picks for halftime shows, I'd prefer classic rock compared to the britney, nsync, nelly, etc. crapfest that they used to try to jam together. LIke seeing 45 seconds of 5 different pop artists would be erased if it ended in aerosmith?

+1 :D

This is an outrage. Tom Petty is an admitted pot head. What am I supposed to tell my son when halftime rolls around? "Look son, the game we love to watch so much on Sundays (Gods day) endorses illegal drug use." "Whats that? You want a bong for your birthday?" Yet another Conservative Christian institution that has degraded to the point I can no longer allow my childern to be a part of. F.U. NFL!