[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 14 - Tanking for seed - ethical?

xMRogers

So turns out in our league (4 playoff teams - 2 div winners, 2 wc), the 4 teams are already set. Right now, I'd be the one seed. What's interesting is that the 4 play each other in the last week of the reg season, and while all 4 will go to the playoffs, each game is for the two divisions. At this point, if I win my game, I'm the 1 seed. If I lose, I'm the 3 seed. Can't be the 2 or 4 based on how it'll play out.

Now, reason I bring all this up - the team with Tom Brady is the team I play in Week 14. I'm assuming Brady is going to go for a million agains the Jets in week 15, and be out of the game early against the Dolphins the next week. I want to try and angle to play that team in the champ game and not the semis (the way our money works, winnign week 15 is HUGE). Is it wrong of me to tank week 14 with a crap lineup in order to line myself up to not play the Tom Brady team till week 16 (not that I'll necessarily win anyway)? Really has no impact on anything but seeds (tanking doesn't hurt anyone elses playoff chances as they are determined).

Whether I bother isn't known yet cause tonights game may mean that by losing I may just as easily play the Brady team cause of tiebreakers, but wanted to get an opinion on purposefully tanking week 14 to set up a better week 15 matchup.

Edited by xMRogers

Are you playing to win the game or playing to win the league? Seems NFL teams who have their goals locked up rest their stars in week 17 ... It might cost them a game in the win column and torques off the fans who paid to see stars that week, but it might ensure their playoff run goes as they envision ... Maybe that's what you're doing ...

You already know the "right" answer to your question.

You just want some people here to tell you it's okay to do it.

Is it worth the couple of extra sheckles that you'd pull in to tank a game?

You are the #1 seed, GD it! Start acting like it.

My first thought was that it's unethical, but upon further review... A case can be made that this is perfectly fine and even reasonable strategy. They key is that all of the playoff teams are set. If that wasn't the case, I may have more of a problem with it because it seems only fair to always put your best line up out there. Some team might hate another owner and purposefully tank a game to spite the owner that they hate because it affects that owner's playoff chances.

It's a slippery slope no matter how you look at it, I guess...

I don't care for it. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it. But I just don't do things that way. Stuff like that almost always seems to come back to bite you in the ass somehow in the end.

Last year, last week of regular season, I was playing against the guy next to me in the standings. Draft order was the only thing at stake, but both of us submitted our best lineups and let fate decide it.

Realize I'm the commissioner of the league, which is pretty high dollar. Not sure if that matters, but does bring into view a bit of "comissioner needs to be above the fray" on anything sketchy.

Points above (players 'rest' / what if all 4 teams do it) are valid. And even more valid - if I do it this year, and next year someone else does it but in a game that does impact another teams playoff chances, can I make that distinction?

Think I'll stay away from doing it just out of "my league - act professional" and the notion I'd be setting a precendent, but definitely has crossed my mind.

Tanking for any reason is never ethical IMO. A couple of seasons ago I blew a top 3 rookie pick even though I knew I was out of the playoffs because I refused to tank. It may help your team, but it is unfair to other teams for you to tank especially if it has playoff implications. It will only result in pissing off other owners.

Edited by rajncajn

Realize I'm the commissioner of the league, which is pretty high dollar. Not sure if that matters, but does bring into view a bit of "comissioner needs to be above the fray" on anything sketchy.

the commish should be held to the same standard as all league members....on this issue or any other...to say they should be held to a higher standard would infer that the rest of the league isnt being held to a high enough standard

You only tank a game if you are trying to piss off the FF gods.

Don't EVER, and I mean EVER, mess with the force of the FF gods. You will regret it.

I don't care for it. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it. But I just don't do things that way. Stuff like that almost always seems to come back to bite you in the ass somehow in the end.

Last year, last week of regular season, I was playing against the guy next to me in the standings. Draft order was the only thing at stake, but both of us submitted our best lineups and let fate decide it.

Tanking for any reason is never ethical IMO. A couple of seasons ago I blew a top 3 rookie pick even though I knew I was out of the playoffs because I refused to tank. It may help your team, but it is unfair to other teams for you to tank especially if it has playoff implications. It will only result in pissing off other owners.

:D

the commish should be held to the same standard as all league members....on this issue or any other...to say they should be held to a higher standard would infer that the rest of the league isnt being held to a high enough standard

You didn't give your opinion on the subject, is tanking for seed ethical? TIA. :D

ISMHO, tanking destroys the integrity of any league, and is completely unethical. Making moves to improve your team is fine, but if you find yourself questioning if you are tanking, you probably are.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Well, I was I'm the #1 seed in one division and I'm playing the #1 team in the other division. I want him to win so that the person who (if he wins and my opp looses) behind him will have to play in the first round of the playoffs next week (he has brady and Patriots Defense - I think Steelers can hold them somewhat.

I've alread secured my division and first round bye so the game means nothing to me. That being said, I still fielded the best team I could to0 make sure that Karma wouldn't bite me in the rump.

Well, I'm gald I didn't tempt karma because my opp exploaded this week and put up hios highest points of the season - Good things come to those who are sportsmen!

You didn't give your opinion on the subject, is tanking for seed ethical? TIA. :D

ISMHO, tanking destroys the integrity of any league, and is completely unethical. Making moves to improve your team is fine, but if you find yourself questioning if you are tanking, you probably are.

tanking is not ethical

as a commish...I think hes saying he needs to lead by example...

The subject of 'tanking' or 'positioning' comes up a lot in the latter part of a season. Not sure it has anything to do with etchics as such.... but think that it has a lot to do with how one sees themselves in the mirror when they get up in the morning.

There are two schools of thought here.... and they are both expressed each and every year. Not sure who is right and who is wrong, but I know that, personally, couldn't live with myself if I didn't do my absolute best each and every week no matter what the situation is.

One leads by example, as has been stated. So it all boils down to character and the kind of example one wants to put forth. Or at least that is the way it appears to me.

Oh, and Commish's should always be held to a higher standard than any other person in a league. And for me...that is a statement of fact. A Commish must be above reproach.

Tanking can be very beneficial to a team - especially entering the playoffs or jockeying for draft position in keeper or dynasty leagues.

Tanking is never ethical, no matter what the reason.

Man up & play the game the way it was designed. Tanking is for nancies.