[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man I hate that Kornheiser guy

Chief Dick

Kornheiser tried to win me over with his Milton quote: "Luck is the residue of design". But he was way too obvious in his delivery. It's clear he's been waiting all season long to drop that one into a broadcast. I think I heard his hand patting his back.

Ugh.. Kornball... you go home now...

Kornheiser tried to win me over with his Milton quote: "Luck is the residue of design". But he was way too obvious in his delivery. It's clear he's been waiting all season long to drop that one into a broadcast. I think I heard his hand patting his back.

Ugh.. Kornball... you go home now...

Sturphy, you had me until you admitted you preferred Theismann. You have now lost all commentator commenting priveleges.

The big question here is...and this is in no way directed at Sturphy, but... Okay. Everybody hates all the commentators. We get that. Every commentator, including Madden, gets ripped up and down around here. What would you guys prefer? If you hate everybody, what would you like to see happen? Do you like the soccer channel setup where they pick a fan from each team to call the game?

My only point on Kornheiser is that I find him to be an enjoyable person. That's it. When I watch football, I'm not looking to be compelled by what the guys in the booth are saying between each play. If they can point out something interesting every now and again and be generally likeable, I'm not sure that isn't enough for me. The play on the field has 99.9% of my attention, even when they are showing replays or close-ups between plays. The only opinion I have on commentators is that they are far too insignificant to warrant a strong opinion either way.

Sturphy, you had me until you admitted you preferred Theismann. You have now lost all commentator commenting priveleges.

:D

Yeah, that was dumb. :D

"For a minute there... I lost my-self... I lost my se- eh- elf..." (First one to guess right gets applause)

There will always be people that dislike one commentator or another. So what? No one has to come to their rescue. They're big people. You're never going to find a broadcaster that every single person on the planet likes... (except Stone Philips maybe? his hair is perfect)

And clearly this thread is for those who have an issue with Kornball.

The big question here is...and this is in no way directed at Sturphy, but... Okay. Everybody hates all the commentators. We get that. Every commentator, including Madden, gets ripped up and down around here. What would you guys prefer? If you hate everybody, what would you like to see happen? Do you like the soccer channel setup where they pick a fan from each team to call the game?

My only point on Kornheiser is that I find him to be an enjoyable person. That's it. When I watch football, I'm not looking to be compelled by what the guys in the booth are saying between each play. If they can point out something interesting every now and again and be generally likeable, I'm not sure that isn't enough for me. The play on the field has 99.9% of my attention, even when they are showing replays or close-ups between plays. The only opinion I have on commentators is that they are far too insignificant to warrant a strong opinion either way.

Good post :D

My biggest problem with Kornheiser is that he always sounds like he's trying too hard. He sounds like he scripts every single witty line that comes out of his mouth beforehand. When I'm watching a football game, I'm looking for good spontaneous commentary about the current game situation. I don't want to hear rehearsed jokes. I don't want a bunch of long tangents about storylines (it's understandable to deviate once in a while though).

It's too bad really, because he doesn't really come across that way on PTI. I get the feeling that he's just not that comfortable in the booth.

But he does come out with smooth one-liners from time to time - I remember during the Pittsburgh-Miami game he made a comment about the '76 Bucs popping cans of beer when Miami finally wins one. But the majority of his banter seems artificial and forced, and it seems to ruin the chemistry of the entire broadcast team.

Edited by MTSuper7

My only point on Kornheiser is that I find him to be an enjoyable person. That's it.

Well, I actually read the 3rd paragraph of your post because Brentastic enjoyed it. Then I went looking for this:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=2201489

Quote from you:

"You guys are the absolute baffoons. Kornheiser, as he is most of the time, is right on the pulse. You guys are talking about a hall of fame style sportswriter, someone who notices, understands and eloquently puts into words whatever needs to be said about an issue. This is a guy that most people who teach sports journalism consider to be one of the more influential reporters of our time. I no longer wonder why so many of you argue with the people that make sense around here. Absolutely ridiculous. And Dennis Miller is better??? Seriously?? I'm a huge Dennis Miller fan, but that guy is probably the worst commentator in the history of sports. Kornheiser calls it like it is. I bet you guys are just too smart to figure that out. Kornheiser isn't an X's and O's guy. His niche is explaining how sports fit into a society, and he tries to show the average fan why he thinks sports are so great and he attempts to coach us on how to watch sports, and what the correct line of thinking is in the situations that arise. Flat out, the guy is a genius, is very welcome in the booth to the people with half a brain, and to those that dont get it, please continue to watch the broadcast with your sound off. THank you."

You're a little more easy going on the Kornheiser front now. You had quite a bit of man-love for him back in this quote.

Point taken but I would still like for some of the detractors to get specific with some suggestions on how to improve the broadcast. Would people rather see only two people in the booth? Both ways have been successful in the past. Let's get specific. If not Kornheiser, then who? Let's be honest, Jaws and Tirico couldn't carry the load alone, so who should be their third? Should all three be replaced? Is there a better team out there? My dream team (other than Al & John) would have been Patrick, Maguire (sp?) and Kornheiser. I'm not sure they would have accomplished alot but it would have been a good time listening to 'em try. Either that or hire Kevin Calabro and Marques Johnson, the best team I have ever heard.

Edited by Seahawks21

Well, I actually read the 3rd paragraph of your post because Brentastic enjoyed it. Then I went looking for this:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=2201489

Quote from you:

"You guys are the absolute baffoons. Kornheiser, as he is most of the time, is right on the pulse. You guys are talking about a hall of fame style sportswriter, someone who notices, understands and eloquently puts into words whatever needs to be said about an issue. This is a guy that most people who teach sports journalism consider to be one of the more influential reporters of our time. I no longer wonder why so many of you argue with the people that make sense around here. Absolutely ridiculous. And Dennis Miller is better??? Seriously?? I'm a huge Dennis Miller fan, but that guy is probably the worst commentator in the history of sports. Kornheiser calls it like it is. I bet you guys are just too smart to figure that out. Kornheiser isn't an X's and O's guy. His niche is explaining how sports fit into a society, and he tries to show the average fan why he thinks sports are so great and he attempts to coach us on how to watch sports, and what the correct line of thinking is in the situations that arise. Flat out, the guy is a genius, is very welcome in the booth to the people with half a brain, and to those that dont get it, please continue to watch the broadcast with your sound off. THank you."

You're a little more easy going on the Kornheiser front now. You had quite a bit of man-love for him back in this quote.

Everybody knows how I feel about Kornheiser, I thought that was a given. He is an enjoyable personality on the air. Since that is all I really care about from a broadcast team, he fits that bill for me.