[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another asterisk?

keggerz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that if a TO is called the officials willl blow the play dead and if they determine that it was illegal they will penalize the offending team.

It coud be,but how can they determine he wasnt trying to get the head coach to call one if hes yelling in that direction?

Guys in the booth just went over the NFL rule for calling a TO and it states only a player or head coach can call a TO....Rex Ryans TO by letter of the law should not have been allowed

* :D

I like how you go over what the guys said, yet you fail to mention how they also talked about how refs COMMONLY allow assistant coaches to call TO's because they don't know who is who when they hear it.

Nice try though.

Edited by Goopster24

I like how you go over what the guys said, yet you fail to mention how they also talked about how refs COMMONLY allow assistant coaches to call TO's because they don't know who is who when they hear it.

Nice try though.

[grits] so the refs decide which rules they will enforce [/grits]

After seeing the replay many times the Ref's eyes were fixed on the line of scrimmage and the TO call came from behind him on the Baltimore sideline. Without taking his eyes off the field the Ref immediately ran towards the line of scrimmage blowing his whistle to kill the play and signal timeout for Baltimore. How was the Ref suppose to know who called the timeout? Seems like the Ref did the right thing and Baltimore messed up.

Edited by SuperCharger

After seeing the replay many times the Ref's eyes were fixed on the line of scrimmage and the TO call came from behind him on the Baltimore sideline. Without taking his eyes off the field the Ref immediately ran towards the line of scrimmage blowing his whistle to kill the play and signal timeout for Baltimore. How was the Ref suppose to know who called the timeout? Seems like the Ref did the right thing and Baltimore messed up.

ummm the ref has a neck, it allows you to turn your head in two directions...if its in the rule book that only the HC or players can call a TO then the Ref should make sure that one of those people are the ones calling the TO....but you said it, the Ref blew(literally and figuratively)

and really there is no need to come in with the Ryan should have known better blah blah blah....the ravens should have been penalized blah blah blah....Brady would have made the 1st if it wasnt for the whistle blah blah blah....the pats won and are the greatest thing since sliced bread...

That was absolutely painful to watch BAL play such an outstanding game, have the W actually physically within their fingers not once (the timeout) but twice (the motion penalty) only to see it slip away after yet another 4th down conversion after that one.

I'm sure no BAL or Billick fan, but that was really hard to watch them go down like that.

ummm the ref has a neck, it allows you to turn your head in two directions...if its in the rule book that only the HC or players can call a TO then the Ref should make sure that one of those people are the ones calling the TO....but you said it, the Ref blew(literally and figuratively)

and really there is no need to come in with the Ryan should have known better blah blah blah....the ravens should have been penalized blah blah blah....Brady would have made the 1st if it wasnt for the whistle blah blah blah....the pats won and are the greatest thing since sliced bread...

The ref hears "time out" from the bench he has to blow the whistle immediatly so no one gets hurt. He does not have time to turn and ask "who said that?" It's like in bassketball, if a player calls a time out, the ref instinctively and immediately blows the whistle regardless of whether the team actually has any time outs left. If it is determined that they don't, the team is penalized.

So Baltimore either gets the TO called by the wrong guy, or they get penalized and give the Pats the 1st down anyway. Either way, it's completely their own fault, not the refs. At least by the refs allowing another guy to call the TO, they had a shot to stop the Pats on the next play. So Baltimore actually benefitted because the call was not made.

Moot Point.

Am I the only one that saw all that (not just the time out, now with a bit of controversey although of the Ravens doing IMO, but the false start, the holding penalty, the TD catch, the kickoff from teh 35 yd line (not the right one), and the tackle ont eh 2 yd line) and think.....forget it, season over, this is just going to happen.

i mean, the 4th downs were crazy in their own right, but to have a (correctly called) defensive penalty take them to the 1 (what exactly was Bart Scott upset about - the holding went on for about 15 yds), have the TD be somewhat controversial (correctly called again I thought), have the Ravens commit penalties to make it an 80 yd field, then have the guy catch the hail mary, but do it on the 2 and get tackled (and if he had backed in, it honestly would have been a travesty the other way cause the Ravens played on the "he'll never throw the flag on that play" mentality - took out both of the db's in front of the WR - was a smart play really, but highly illegal)

Between that crap, and the Eagles self-destructing last week, just think it's all a done deal at this point.

The ref hears "time out" from the bench he has to blow the whistle immediatly so no one gets hurt. He does not have time to turn and ask "who said that?" It's like in bassketball, if a player calls a time out, the ref instinctively and immediately blows the whistle regardless of whether the team actually has any time outs left. If it is determined that they don't, the team is penalized.

So Baltimore either gets the TO called by the wrong guy, or they get penalized and give the Pats the 1st down anyway. Either way, it's completely their own fault, not the refs. At least by the refs allowing another guy to call the TO, they had a shot to stop the Pats on the next play. So Baltimore actually benefitted because the call was not made.

Moot Point.

if the Ref can only accept a TO from the HC and a player then yeah he needs to make sure one of them is calling the TO.

Edited by keggerz

From BJ's link, exactly my point:

According to an NFL spokesman, the officials are instructed to grant a last-second request from the bench area for a timeout. The head linesman is positioned in front of the bench area and can't look at who is calling timeout because he is watching for the ball to be snapped.

From BJ's link, exactly my point:

your point was YOUR OPINION....it did not mesh with the NFL Rulebook...the NFL just said it tells its officials to do that....had you claimed to know that the NFL told the officials to do that then YOUR POINT would have had merit...but it didnt, it was just your opinion on how it should have been handled....in the end your opinion aligned with what an NFL Spokesman said that officials are told to do.

From the article:

RAVENS COMMENTS ABOUT OFFICIATING

CB SAMARI ROLLE: "I don't want to take anything away from New England, but everybody in this locker room feels like the game was taken from us. In a game of this magnitude you don't make those types of calls on fourth down. Let the players decide the outcome. It's a travesty when you go out there and play that hard, and the refs decide the outcome. Nobody really likes us because we earned the reputation we have, but you have to let the players play, man. It's sad."

CB CHRIS MCALISTER: "It's hard to go out there and play the Patriots and the refs at the same time. They put the crown on top of them. They want them to win. They won."

LB TERRELL SUGGS: "I think the world, everybody's kind of cheering for them to go undefeated and break all the records. If they're the best, make them prove it. Don't help them make a play, let them make it."

WR DERRICK MASON: "It's kind of like that old Bulls team when they were running the table. You were playing against Jordan, Pippen and the bunch and it was hard to beat them because everyone was on their side. That's the way it is now. You've got Brady and the bunch. It's hard to beat them when you're playing against them and extra people."

RB WILLIS MCGAHEE: "I felt like we played our hearts out tonight and got some bogus calls ... I can't even remember them all."

Shake it off ladies.

Actually, it was my neighbor who called the time out...he was trying to get his 4 yr old to obey him and happened to be sitting near the Ravens bench when he said..."would you like a TIME OUT?"...guess the ref heard him :D

If it's any consolation to you Baltimore fans I think he's sorry...