[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

san diego running backs

zmanzzzz

we've all heard turner is on the bye bye next year, but what about trading LT away? :wacko:

the guys got ten times the trade value so sell him high at seasons end. turner prolly has over 50% of the running value so why not cash out? :D

just a thought. :D

I actually think I agree with this. Depending on what you can get for him of course. If they can get half of what the cowboys got for Herschel Walker they should jump on it!

I actually think I agree with this. Depending on what you can get for him of course. If they can get half of what the cowboys got for Herschel Walker they should jump on it!

The Hawks had Alexander available after his 28 td season... They didn't come close to even getting a first rounder. Deals like the Walker trade will never happen again.

The Hawks had Alexander available after his 28 td season... They didn't come close to even getting a first rounder. Deals like the Walker trade will never happen again.

Agreed. the reference to walker was made with tongue in cheek. but my point is the same. if they can get something worth the thought of trading one of the best talents in this generation, than do it. i dont think they can, but what do i know. its an interesting thought though.

Agreed. the reference to walker was made with tongue in cheek. but my point is the same. if they can get something worth the thought of trading one of the best talents in this generation, than do it. i dont think they can, but what do i know. its an interesting thought though.

That's the key here... Turner is nice as a backup and all but consider the options...

keep LT... HOF RB, on pace for top 5 all-tie yards from scrimmage blah blah blah

trade LT, keep your highly coveted backup 5th round RB who has attempted 203 rushes in 4 years and is only 3 years younger than LT

I'd say the choice is pretty clear. :D

There is NO WAY, at this point in his career, could you EVER justify trading LT to San Diego fans. He is an icon in the city and in the NFL. His value to the team goes beyond what he produces on the field.

I have not been that impressed with Turner this year when he has had opportunities to carry the ball. He just doesn't seem to be playing angry as he did last year. He may be "saving himself" for the $$$ in the off season and not wanting to risk injury, but he has had a bad case of happy feet on quite a few of his carries this year and his vision has sucked!

LT is a Charger, that is how it is and should always be! :D

There is NO WAY, at this point in his career, could you EVER justify trading LT to San Diego fans. He is an icon in the city and in the NFL. His value to the team goes beyond what he produces on the field.

I have not been that impressed with Turner this year when he has had opportunities to carry the ball. He just doesn't seem to be playing angry as he did last year. He may be "saving himself" for the $$$ in the off season and not wanting to risk injury, but he has had a bad case of happy feet on quite a few of his carries this year and his vision has sucked!

It'll be a shame that he never gets to play for a championship.

Well let's see . . . they have two good running backs. One is the best of his generation, and when it's all said and done may be the best ever to play the game. The other one is a quality young backup who has shown some flashes.

. . .

. . .

I'd keep the first guy.

Now that all having been said, RBs DO have a limited shelf life, and LT2 has a lot of miles on those wheels. If Norv can't pull them out of this slide this season or next, you are looking at Norv being gone, and Smith being gone right along with him. At that point, you clean house, and the new GM just might want to start fresh--depending on what LT2 contract situation is (I have no idea).

Peace

policy

This is the correct answer. Well done, sir.

LT's value to SD goes way beyond what he does on the field.

If Norv stays I'd say trade LT, that's the only way LT will ever sniff a SuperBowl.

Who could you get for LT that would make the overall team better? Trake LT in a 3-team deal for APete and TBrady? That would work from SD's perspective ... but maybe not so much from their trading partners. :D What else might be out there that would merit giving up the franchise?

SD should just be happy they ducked Eli, admit their hubris with their recent coaching change, and bring Marty and the 14-2 world back to southern cali ...

SD wouldnt do this for 2 reasons. Turner wont sign there to be a back up, and if they trade LT first, Turner could hold SD hostage, forcing them to use the franchise tag or a 50 mil contract for someone who has never done anything but relieve LT.

LT is the Chargers. No way the Chargers give that away.

The Chargers will take the compensatory 3rd round pick a year after Turner signs a huge $$$ deal.

Yes.... a free fairly high draft pick for their back-up RB. (Chargers don't really delve into the big $$$ free agents.)

Takes the wonder out of the "lack of touches" by Turner this year. Keep him healthy for another team to spend big bucks on.

This year, they draft another RB that will look good spelling an all-time great and perhaps get compensated for that guy too.

Edited by Riffraff

We have seen Ahman Green, Edge, and Alexander fall off precipitously this year with similar wear and tear. Many games this year it has looked like LT has faded as well, his most recent effort notwithstanding. The Chargers would be foolish not to consider all of there options here. In the end I have to think they worry about fan revolt and they keep LT.

To me the interesting question is what Turner might net them. Around the league we see ???. In Seattle, S.F., and Arizona to an extent. the questions abound for the future G.B. is better now than at the beginning of the year, but not settled. Chicago and N.O. are emerging uncertainties. Westbrook looks great but his miles are piling up. Miami,who knows how Brown will recover. Tampa Bay, well Graham has been a pleasant surprise, but his seat can't be considered safe. Houston is a mess. It goes on and on.

If S.D. sees their chance as being next year they have to roll with LT. But what if they see their window as being in years 2 through 4 from now. maybe then Turner's lack of mileage plus the value of LT on the market makes them think. Just maybe. Of course I never expect boldness from G.M.'s. Their financial interests and future employability mitigate against such speculation that we can do without consequence.

To me the interesting question is what Turner might net them.

He's an unrestricted free agent, they don't get anything for him.

To do so, they would have to franchise tag him. They will not pay top 5 $$$ to a back-up RB.

Compared to other positions, RBs are not overly important in the NFL team concept. It's not fantasy football.

Assuming Turner gets a top Free Agent contract and performs at least average, the Chargers will be given a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Just like they did when Brees moved on.

I cant say staying means he will never win a championship.Hes just as likely to win there as he will anywhere else he would go.

You're telling me that every team has the same chance to win the SuperBowl? I'd lay down good cash that says LT never even plays in a SuperBowl if he stays in San Diego.

If S.D. sees their chance as being next year they have to roll with LT. But what if they see their window as being in years 2 through 4 from now. maybe then Turner's lack of mileage plus the value of LT on the market makes them think. Just maybe. Of course I never expect boldness from G.M.'s. Their financial interests and future employability mitigate against such speculation that we can do without consequence.

They have more serious issues than what to do with LT if anyone within the SD organization thinks that the team is 2, 4 or more years away from contending for the Super Bowl. They're a year away from a 14-2 season. The time is now.

As stated above, LT is an icon for the Chargers. Trading him for some draft picks is the worst thing possible for the organization.

Edited by kingfish247

The Chargers are still trying to get a new stadium here in San Diego county. To trade LT, who is beloved here, would be PR suicide. Ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Chargerz