[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bart Scott’s meltdown

zmanzzzz

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever been pissed off by the outcome of a sporting event? I mean seriously pissed. Like a "Steve Smith, what the f***, you cost me my season" sort of pissed. I'd say multiply that by millions (of dollars) and we're getting to the level. Sure, sure, no man is "supposed" to throw a tantrum but the guy is obviously a competitor and the penalties actually played to the Ravens favor as they pretty much guaranteed a touchback and no time expiring from the clock on the Ravens final possession.

Its difficult for me to believe that some are trying to rationalize his behavior.

I've never thrown a tantrum in my adult life. Thousands of football players have faced similiar, if not more "emotional" situations, without throwing tantrums. I would expect better from a high school player.

Not that it really matters, but it was a regular season game. The Ravens aren't going to the postseason. "Millions" were not on the line for Scott.

There are plenty of "competitors" in the NFL. They don't melt down in the face of adversity. The suggestion that Scott's hissy fit is some type of proof of his competitiveness is laughable,

OH

MY

GOD!

The ref offended Scott's sensitive nature! How horrible! After all, don't we as Americans have a consitutional right not to be offended by anyone at any time?

Holy crap, guys. Scott's going ballistic like he did cost his team any slim opportunity that they had to come back and win that game. Imagine given the way that the last play went down if BAL had returned the ensuing KO to the 23 yd line instead of getting the ball at the 20.

Scott acted like a freakin' 3 year old spoiled brat who didn't get his way. The penalties called on BAL in that last drive were completely legit - replays justified them completely - and I'm certainly no NE fan as anyone who is here regularly knows. All because a ref allegedly used the term "boy" - and I heavily emphasize allegedly? That complete & utter idiocy on Scott's part and can't be rationalized in any way.

OH

MY

GOD!

The ref offended Scott's sensitive nature! How horrible! After all, don't we as Americans have a consitutional right not to be offended by anyone at any time?

Holy crap, guys. Scott's going ballistic like he did cost his team any slim opportunity that they had to come back and win that game. Imagine given the way that the last play went down if BAL had returned the ensuing KO to the 23 yd line instead of getting the ball at the 20.

Scott acted like a freakin' 3 year old spoiled brat who didn't get his way. The penalties called on BAL in that last drive were completely legit - replays justified them completely - and I'm certainly no NE fan as anyone who is here regularly knows. All because a ref allegedly used the term "boy" - and I heavily emphasize allegedly? That complete & utter idiocy on Scott's part and can't be rationalized in any way.

JBBHO.

Its difficult for me to believe that some are trying to rationalize his behavior.

I've never thrown a tantrum in my adult life. Thousands of football players have faced similiar, if not more "emotional" situations, without throwing tantrums. I would expect better from a high school player.

Not that it really matters, but it was a regular season game. The Ravens aren't going to the postseason. "Millions" were not on the line for Scott.

There are plenty of "competitors" in the NFL. They don't melt down in the face of adversity. The suggestion that Scott's hissy fit is some type of proof of his competitiveness is laughable,

:D

You give them WAY too much credit for competing in the NFL. Competition is competition. I don't care if your in a dart league, high school, college, etc. A crybaby punk boy, is a crybaby punk BOY.

I'm sick of these "elite" athletes having a diva complex. Respect the authority. Which I'm guessing alot of these guys have never had to do.

You are missing the point I made. I did NOT say it was justified and I'm not giving anyone credit. I'm just saying until you compete at this level, which I'm sure you have never done, don't try and say how these guys feel and should act, and yes they are professionals and should know better, but they are human and I think we forget that. In no way did I say I think what he did was right, I also think it was a very bad decision that I believe cost them the game. And maybe when I said it's not like your local dart league, I was wrong, because I know when I used to play pool league, I would get upset after losing a game on a stupid shot and have done some things I regret, although there was alcohol involved there :D

Edited by Piranha-z

I've never thrown a tantrum in my adult life.

For what its worth, Scott is 27 years old. Many (if not most) football players are in their mid 20s (I’m just not sure what you consider adult life to include). I didn't watch the entire game so I've just seen some highlights of the "meltdown". I haven't met many linebackers that I would call mature (even going back to high school). You are a large, aggressive football player and have been rewarded throughout your life for playing a violent sport. You can glorify or analyze it all you want. Some people just run hot and that usually works in your favor if you play defense. So yea, it is kind of a crybaby tantrum for a 240 pounder to freak out and start throwing things. But it’s not overly surprising that you can goat a hot-head into flipping out. Just for perspective, you could probably name someone in your office that freaks out under pressure or duress. I’ve got friends (well people I know and party with) that I know you can’t mess with too much because they’ll lose it. I don’t think his meltdown is acceptable or proof of anything more than being a meat-head. I just know that football is less of a thinking man’s game than many give it credit for and its not surprising that a meat-head freaked out when a ref (who he can’t touch) antagonized him.

For what its worth, Scott is 27 years old. Many (if not most) football players are in their mid 20s (I’m just not sure what you consider adult life to include). I didn't watch the entire game so I've just seen some highlights of the "meltdown". I haven't met many linebackers that I would call mature (even going back to high school). You are a large, aggressive football player and have been rewarded throughout your life for playing a violent sport. You can glorify or analyze it all you want. Some people just run hot and that usually works in your favor if you play defense. So yea, it is kind of a crybaby tantrum for a 240 pounder to freak out and start throwing things. But it’s not overly surprising that you can goat a hot-head into flipping out. Just for perspective, you could probably name someone in your office that freaks out under pressure or duress. I’ve got friends (well people I know and party with) that I know you can’t mess with too much because they’ll lose it. I don’t think his meltdown is acceptable or proof of anything more than being a meat-head. I just know that football is less of a thinking man’s game than many give it credit for and its not surprising that a meat-head freaked out when a ref (who he can’t touch) antagonized him.

If someone paid me millions of dollars to work part time when I was in my 20s, I am completely sure that I could have kept my temper even under some significantly adverse situations, especially if I knew that the loss of my temper in those situations meant it would significantly harm the company as a whole in the short term.

And Piranha-z, let's please put away "you aren't a pro football player so you can't possibly understand their emotion" crapola. There are people who do a lot more important jobs than simply play football for a living, and some of them do so under much more stressful situations than those Scott was under, and I would guess an extremely high percentage of them don't go ballistic when things go sour on them. I would also guess that those who would go ballistic in those situations would quickly find themselves unemployed. Let's get some proper perspective, shall we?

Edited by Bronco Billy

And Piranha-z, let's please put away "you aren't a pro football player so you can't possibly understand their emotion" crapola. There are people who do a lot more important jobs than simply play football for a living, and some of them do so under much more stressful situations than those Scott was under, and I would guess an extremely high percentage of them don't go ballistic when things go sour on them. I would also guess that those who would go ballistic in those situations would quickly find themselves unemployed. Let's get some proper perspective, shall we?

Come on man, can you honestly tell me you have never seen anyone have a "blowout" at work, at a high school game, college game or any sporting event for that matter??? If you haven't, you need to get out more. You see more of this in Basketball than anywhere, but it happens often, so don't give me your line about high percentages, it's crap. Are you telling me that you don't think the pressure was higher at a point in the game when they thought they could actually knock off the #1, undefeated team in the league???

As a Redskins fan who has watched our team play with ZERO passion and emotion for about 10 years...who has witnessed player after player on the field smiling after a loss or carrying on with a losing is just "business as usual" manner in the locker room after a game, it was refreshing to see these millioniares actually furious about a bad call, about losing a game, about wanting to win. While their anger and emotion was misguided, I will take that every time over the apathy and total lack of emotional connection that exists in many locker rooms in the league today.

The Ravens willed themselves into a war last night. They sure did not find themselves in a dog fight due to their talent. It was a great game.

Come on man, can you honestly tell me you have never seen anyone have a "blowout" at work, at a high school game, college game or any sporting event for that matter??? If you haven't, you need to get out more. You see more of this in Basketball than anywhere, but it happens often, so don't give me your line about high percentages, it's crap. Are you telling me that you don't think the pressure was higher at a point in the game when they thought they could actually knock off the #1, undefeated team in the league???

Higher than say during brain surgery when the surgeon runs into unexpected adversity, maybe? THAT's pressure, and I don't expect the surgeon to throw the patient's brain across the room when it happens.

Maybe when a building starts to collapse under a firefighter's feet while rescuing someone? I don't expect them to put their ax into the person's head & run out screaming.

Beating a currently undefeated team in a game? Fahhh - that's hardly an incredibly abnormal stressful situation to excuse Scott's behavior.

No - I have never seen that kind of incredibly infantile behavior anywhere I've worked or at my engineering firm that I currently own. I also didn't see it when I played college ball, including up to and during our team's advance to the Div. III Final 4. I didn't see it in the classroom where I taught for 12 years, nor on the court or field where I coached for 12 years before going into engineering. I've seen it on extremely rare occassions from incredibly drunken idiots in bars.

Maybe its you that needs to change your venues if you think that this is some kind of reasonably expected & normal behavior under somehwat stressful situations.

Higher than say during brain surgery when the surgeon runs into unexpected adversity, maybe? THAT's pressure, and I don't expect the surgeon to throw the patient's brain across the room when it happens.

Maybe when a building starts to collapse under a firefighter's feet while rescuing someone? I don't expect them to put their ax into the person's head & run out screaming.

Beating a currently undefeated team in a game? Fahhh - that's hardly an incredibly abnormal stressful situation to excuse Scott's behavior.

No - I have never seen that kind of incredibly infantile behavior anywhere I've worked or at my engineering firm that I currently own. I also didn't see it when I played college ball, including up to and during our team's advance to the Div. III Final 4. I didn't see it in the classroom where I taught for 12 years, nor on the court or field where I coached for 12 years before going into engineering. I've seen it on extremely rare occassions from incredibly drunken idiots in bars.

Maybe its you that needs to change your venues if you think that this is some kind of reasonably expected & normal behavior under somehwat stressful situations.

Yeah, but those professions don't require you to pound a guy into the ground every play. The job requires agression and sometimes it's hard to shut off. With the refs behavior, trying to knock off the #1 team at home, and the defense playing their hearts out to pull out a win for Sean Taylor, I don't look down on him for his behavior. It happened and he admitted he was wrong the next day.

Edited by budlitebrad

I have no problem with the way he reacted.

I was stuck down in a hole trying to connect a vic pipe with no room to work,working my ass off trying to make it work and the idiot journeyman on top couldnt hold the pipe straight but kept screaming at me,.I said screw it ,dropped everything to come out of that hole to kick his ass.By the time I got up there,there were 5 people between me and him and my head was cut open from all the crap I hit on the way out.

If he had just kept his mouth shut none of it would have happened.Same thing here,if the ref doesnt say it,it doesnt happen.

Edited by xtra

Was it Kenny Lofton who got jawed at by a first-base umpire so much this postseason that he had to call a time out and give him a "what the frick"?

I think you're talking about Milton Bradley of the Padres. It was actually during the stretch run of the regular season. His manager, Bud Black, pulled him away, and he fell awkwardly to the ground and suffered a season-ending knee injury. The ump, Mike Winters, was suspended for the remainder of the season for the altercation.

Hey! That guy was eyeballing me wit those crazy eyes and needed a beat down. Don't go telling me that just because he was in a wheelchair he was off limits. I hate those guys, always playing for sympathy, always getting the best parking spaces, pushing to the front at parades, and always having a seat when the rest of us have to stand. Screw you to for taking his side. Dude came at me with his stick. Oh yeah, he had some excuse about it being a cane for the blind, But I'm not buying that crap. lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophyer made me spitting red dog mad and got what he deserved, and so did his grandpa trying to come between me and my meat. AHH AHHH AHHHH

Hey! That guy was eyeballing me wit those crazy eyes and needed a beat down. Don't go telling me that just because he was in a wheelchair he was off limits. I hate those guys, always playing for sympathy, always getting the best parking spaces, pushing to the front at parades, and always having a seat when the rest of us have to stand. Screw you to for taking his side. Dude came at me with his stick. Oh yeah, he had some excuse about it being a cane for the blind, But I'm not buying that crap. lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophyer made me spitting red dog mad and got what he deserved, and so did his grandpa trying to come between me and my meat. AHH AHHH AHHHH

Hey! It's TOCOL's #1 seed. He can't possibly be wrong.

:D

No - I have never seen that kind of incredibly infantile behavior anywhere I've worked or at my engineering firm that I currently own.

Billy, I guarantee the engineering firm I work for is (100X) the size of yours and I have seen it there, in a fooseball match of all things. The two guys almost went at it outside, but the next day realized they were idiots and apologized. Keep in mind I never said it was right. So just because it doesn't happen to or around you doesn't mean it doesn't happen, right??? Also, if you have never seen this kind of behavior in the school that you taught for 12 years, it leads me to believe that you never taught anything. Not sure what you have against me, but get over it. It's a forum and we post our opinions.

Edited by Piranha-z

I think you're talking about Milton Bradley of the Padres. It was actually during the stretch run of the regular season. His manager, Bud Black, pulled him away, and he fell awkwardly to the ground and suffered a season-ending knee injury. The ump, Mike Winters, was suspended for the remainder of the season for the altercation.

Oh yeah. :D I forgot I was watching two teams in baseball this year. I usually only tune in for Sox games, but I was watching the Rockies too.

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Suspending him was the right thing to do. Refs, no matter how much they are provoked, cannot be jawing at the players. It's like a rule.

Conducting yourself with professionalism and dignity is not situational. It just has to happen as part of your character. When it doesn't, it means something.

Yeah, but those professions don't require you to pound a guy into the ground every play. The job requires agression and sometimes it's hard to shut off. With the refs behavior, trying to knock off the #1 team at home, and the defense playing their hearts out to pull out a win for Sean Taylor, I don't look down on him for his behavior. It happened and he admitted he was wrong the next day.

I think law enforcement is a better example of why people who deal in highly emotional and possibly aggressive situations STILL need to exhibit self-control.

?? Did you even watch the game? Moss got tackled on one and the other Watson was held. The guy had his whole arm around him. I think you need to watch the reply again

The guy...number 28...who tipped the ball....had inside position on the post...he had his arm/hand up against the receiver. Didn't look at all like he was impeding him. Number 28 was called for the defensive holding that gave the patriots the game. I have it TiVo'd and it doesn't look like much to me...pu$$lies I guess.

Billy, I guarantee the engineering firm I work for is (100X) the size of yours and I have seen it there, in a fooseball match of all things. The two guys almost went at it outside, but the next day realized they were idiots and apologized. Keep in mind I never said it was right. So just because it doesn't happen to or around you doesn't mean it doesn't happen, right??? Also, if you have never seen this kind of behavior in the school that you taught for 12 years, it leads me to believe that you never taught anything. Not sure what you have against me, but get over it. It's a forum and we post our opinions.

There's a hugh difference between seeing the behavior exhibited & making all sorts of excuses for it. Did you make excuses for the engineers that almost went at it over foosball (that would be one hell of a b!tchslap fight!) or did you think (rightfully) that they were acting like 4 year old punks - in other words, inexc usably for adults.