[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bart Scott’s meltdown

zmanzzzz

Man, I'm tired of engineers. Most of the ones I deal with are semi-retarded hacks that just get by because they get the final word in my side of the business (nobody to report them to when they are unethical or just plain wrong and try to force you to fix their mistakes).

You don't have a licensing board for engineers in your state?

:confused:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what its worth, Scott is 27 years old. Many (if not most) football players are in their mid 20s (I’m just not sure what you consider adult life to include). I didn't watch the entire game so I've just seen some highlights of the "meltdown". I haven't met many linebackers that I would call mature (even going back to high school). You are a large, aggressive football player and have been rewarded throughout your life for playing a violent sport. You can glorify or analyze it all you want. Some people just run hot and that usually works in your favor if you play defense. So yea, it is kind of a crybaby tantrum for a 240 pounder to freak out and start throwing things. But it’s not overly surprising that you can goat a hot-head into flipping out. Just for perspective, you could probably name someone in your office that freaks out under pressure or duress. I’ve got friends (well people I know and party with) that I know you can’t mess with too much because they’ll lose it. I don’t think his meltdown is acceptable or proof of anything more than being a meat-head. I just know that football is less of a thinking man’s game than many give it credit for and its not surprising that a meat-head freaked out when a ref (who he can’t touch) antagonized him.

+1 At the risk of putting words into square's mouth, this does not condone the action rather shows a lack of surprise.

If someone paid me millions of dollars to work part time when I was in my 20s, I am completely sure that I could have kept my temper even under some significantly adverse situations, especially if I knew that the loss of my temper in those situations meant it would significantly harm the company as a whole in the short term.

One of the biggest mistakes we can make is compare how we would act with how those who have the mind-set that makes them inclined to thrive as an NFL linebacker would. I mean, I'm 100% certain that I am waaayyyy more chill than Mr. Scott. Thus, I would check myself and move on. Of course, that same "chillness" (along with the fact that I'm not huge and fast) have contributed to the fact that I didn't try to make a career of taking dudes heads off on the playing field. Further, I didn't enter in a career where those who lacked a certain level of insanity were at a disadvantage. So, these guys are predisposed to aggression and then are trained to build on it. Frankly, it manifests itself in much worse ways than dudes throwing flags into the stands. Dudes throwing wives against the wall, for instance, comes to mind.