[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers GUARANTEE win!

pig devilz

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff December 5, 07 05:39 PM

In Pittsburgh today, safety Anthony Smith guaranteed a Steelers victory over the Patriots.

"We're going to win," Smith told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win."

:D

i got a say, i didn't expect this from the Steelers.......

In Pittsburgh today, safety Anthony Smith guaranteed a Steelers victory over the Patriots.

"We're going to win," Smith told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win."

This will be the first and only game I'll be rooting for the Steelers to win it. I sure hope their actions speak as loud as their words do, just for this game though. :D

Who is Anthony Smith & why should we care what he says?

....this is a rhetorical question.

smith is a youngster who likes to talk during the game.. apparently he has taken that part of his game off the field as well. he usually backs up his talk though. tj houshmanzadah and chad johnson will be the first to tell you he scares the crap out of them. smith no doubt has some growing up to do.

We're going to win," Smith said. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win." :D

Edited by xtra

I don't know if Anthony Smith saying that means anything. I don't why it is such a big deal for a player to have the confidence to say something like that. Any of you that have played sports at any level beyond a pickup game must have felt that sort of confidence during you playing days. I know that I sure did and we did win a few games that we were written off as even having a chance before the game even started. You read that sort of crap and you bring yourself down. You exude a little confidence in a game that you are 12.5 point underdogs and I say that you are the kind of guy I want to line up beside.

In the big picture, this is nothing but it must mean something to the Pats if their newspapers are reporting it. I know it is hard to stay supper sharp like the Pats have mostly been but if they need something like this to help motivate them then I think they are in trouble.

I don't know if Anthony Smith saying that means anything. I don't why it is such a big deal for a player to have the confidence to say something like that. Any of you that have played sports at any level beyond a pickup game must have felt that sort of confidence during you playing days. I know that I sure did and we did win a few games that we were written off as even having a chance before the game even started. You read that sort of crap and you bring yourself down. You exude a little confidence in a game that you are 12.5 point underdogs and I say that you are the kind of guy I want to line up beside.

totaly agree with this.....where has all the smack/trash talk gone? and why?

there are plenty of examples in past pro sports history, not so long ago...

Celtics v Lakers or Philly come to mind.....pro sports has become way to PC with this.

In the big picture, this is nothing but it must mean something to the Pats if their newspapers are reporting it. I know it is hard to stay supper sharp like the Pats have mostly been but if they need something like this to help motivate them then I think they are in trouble.

Uh, its your own hometown paper thats reporting it, Skip...not the Boston Herald. Your own rags are putting this put there....

So much for your argument, but it was a good effort.

Steelers are treating this game as totally winnable.

As Tomlin said "this isn't Appalachain State vs. Michigan".

I think he has his players expecting to win, not just going and hoping to win or hoping NE doesn't play well.

There is no reason for the #1 defense in the league to come in afraid.

And I think TJ, CJ and Henry are the best WR crew in the league as Smith said. Only problem is, Cincy Wrs don't have an oline giving their QB 7 seconds to find an open WR.

Oh and if you don't know Anthony Smith, you will if a WR or TE comes over the middle. Just ask TJ Housh who has been busted up a few times by Smith

These guarantee quotes rarely have an effect on the outcome of games. In fact more often than not it seems like the guaranteer is correct?

Edited by SteelerMurf

Agree with most of what you said, but, I still think you keep it to yourself. Joey Porter left, and I don't want anyone else taking over the big-mouth role. I like Anthony Smith, but, I hope he learns to keep quiet in the future.

Agree with most of what you said, but, I still think you keep it to yourself. Joey Porter left, and I don't want anyone else taking over the big-mouth role. I like Anthony Smith, but, I hope he learns to keep quiet in the future.

seriously.....why do you keep it to yourself?...why do you keep quiet?

did Namath? Barkley? Moses Malone? etc...or Ali????

its part of the game, if it's done right. players and organizations today, are so a-scared

they might offend somebody. big f'n deal!.....the pussification of sports.

guess you gotta keep soccer mom Betty happy or she won't let little Colby or Tucker

hang a smack talkin' players poster on the wall.....cha-ching

i miss it.

I think that the better question is "Why say it?"

I suppose that if Smith thinks that his teamates will rally around the statement, and that the statement will motivate his team more than it motivates the Patriots, then its a good move.

If his teammates don't care, or just giggle and say "that's just Anthony being Anthony", I think its a stupid thing to say, as it does not benefit the team.

did Namath? Barkley? Moses Malone? etc...or Ali????

its part of the game, if it's done right. players and organizations today, are so a-scared

they might offend somebody. big f'n deal!.....the pussification of sports.

guess you gotta keep soccer mom Betty happy or she won't let little Colby or Tucker

hang a smack talkin' players poster on the wall.....cha-ching

i miss it.

Your stance of defending loud-mouth immaturity is not a surprise in the least.

I think that the better question is "Why say it?"

I suppose that if Smith thinks that his teamates will rally around the statement, and that the statement will motivate his team more than it motivates the Patriots, then its a good move.

If his teammates don't care, or just giggle and say "that's just Anthony being Anthony", I think its a stupid thing to say, as it does not benefit the team.

exactly. thats the point...motivation of your team/yourself and maybe put a spot of fear into your opponent.

it's not done out of hate or disrespect.... i think AS is just adding to his rep, and thats a good rep to have

if your a DB....even if the Steelers lose, so what. you go out there, try and back it up, and give all you got.

you lose, you don't hang your head...

you win, that just makes you that much tougher for the next opponent

Giving NE bulletin board material = :D

Overrated concern in the pros. Does anyone think the Pats were just looking at this game as no more than a speed bump and only now will take it seriously?

Frankly, I think it's important for the Steelers to come into this game super confident and certainly worth the risk of "waking the sleeping giant who's actually not really sleeping anyway". Mind you, if it was me, I would have gone Tomlin's route and simply say that we're a great team and nobody should be at all surprised if we win this thing.

Really I haven't seen a cup of java for twenty-five cents in a while, maybe $2.25

:D Well its really crappy coffee. This isn't a Starbucks Mocha Latte. We're talking sweat-shop, basement, week old, re-used dirty sock filtered, give you the runs, in a broken mug kind of coffee.