[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question concerning entry fees in a league

tatz4ever

It seems everyone has a league in which every team pays to play. My league is set up differently. The commisioner does not pay to play. He is responsible for any transaction fees he occurs, but does not pay the entry fee.

This is the way our rules are written:

I have established a formula to use for the distribution of prize money. This will be the same every season. There will be a prize pool this year of $2,200(11 x $200) plus any transaction fees collected. The Commissioner's entry fee is waived in exchange for keeping track of stats & records, typing and sending out updates, etc.

These rules have been in place for the 13th year of our league. I understand that in the begining the commisioner had to manually figure out scores prior to our website doing it. In the beginning he would have to fax the weekly scores and standings. We have been using Statsworld.com for 4-5 seasons now.

My question to you is: Now that everything is computed for the commish, is it fair that he does not kick in to the pool? Even his e-mail updates have been lacking since Week 10 due to him not having a team with playoff hopes.

Our league allows for owners to vote in new rules each year. Majority vote wins. I am either going to propose that the commish pay his way OR that the returning Champ assume the role of commish the following season thus recieving the added benefit of not paying for the upcoming season as well.

What do you guys think of this?

Sorry so long!

In my local I am the commissioner and I don't pay the entry fee. Yes this orginated when things were more labor intensive for the commissioner.

But in my league I still have duties:

1) Keep track of all transaction fees

2) Make sure there are no rules violations

3) Debt collector

4) Set up playoff brackets

But the biggest head ache of all is establishing a draft date which all can agree on ... that alone is worth the entry fee

But the biggest head ache of all is establishing a draft date which all can agree on ... that alone is worth the entry fee

AMEN BROTHER!

I still pay as commish in my local, but there's been times the draft day fiasco makes me want to choke every living breathe out of those idiots.

In my local I am the commissioner and I don't pay the entry fee. Yes this orginated when things were more labor intensive for the commissioner.

3) Debt collector

I commish 2 leagues and pay the fee. I agree with this post though - draft is at once the single most fun event during the FF season and also the most toublesome....hard as heck getting 14 owners together in one spot for 2-3 hours. I often wonder why I do it for free....not to mention the annual conflict about free agency or trading etc.

KO'd

I've been the commish of my local for all 11, now 12 years. When we were not online, I didn't pay. But then I was taking lineup calls, FA moves and putting it all together and it was a lot of work...far more than the value of the entry fee. Then we went online and I changed the rule once I figured out the work was all off my shoulders. I still do some reports and stuff like that but it's in the interest of keeping everyone interested really. I have some duties but nothing like before.

In another league, I co-commish with another guy and we each get a $25 break.

I have no idea of the value of money to you, your coaches or the commish so I don't know if $200 is a lot of cash. But I would think, if the commish considers it WORK, he should at least get a break if he's doing a good job. There is a little work involved as well as aggrevation if you've never been a commish before, but a 100% pass is a bit extreme. I do think I'd be a bit upset or at least want my shot at being the commish if it meant no entry fee. Then again, not everyone is cut out to be a commish so making them do it could be disaster.

Good luck

Edited by Sharpie

3) Debt collector

#s 1 & 4 are handled through our website. #2 is usually pointed out to him by the legue. Usually by the team opposing the rule violater. #3 can be a pain in the ass, but this league has been around long enough that it has never been a problem.

The commish also has to manually process the waivers at 6:00 on Thursday. After that first come, first served is handled by the site.

The commish is question is my brother. He has won our league 3 times in 13 years and has enjoyed the spoils. I think it is time for him to pay in.

What do you think of my other option of having the reigning champ become the commish the following year? In addition to the payout at the end of the season, he would also recieve a free ride the following season.

#s 1 & 4 are handled through our website. #2 is usually pointed out to him by the legue. Usually by the team opposing the rule violater. #3 can be a pain in the ass, but this league has been around long enough that it has never been a problem.

The commish also has to manually process the waivers at 6:00 on Thursday. After that first come, first served is handled by the site.

The commish is question is my brother. He has won our league 3 times in 13 years and has enjoyed the spoils. I think it is time for him to pay in.

What do you think of my other option of having the reigning champ become the commish the following year? In addition to the payout at the end of the season, he would also recieve a free ride the following season.

I assume you and your brother get along so why don't you suggest it to him. He might realize it's time for the free ride to end and just do the honorable thing.

3) Debt collector

Set the draft date up for the same date every year. "Can't make it, get someone to draft for you...can't do that, please let me know so I can get anotehr coach". We do the last Friday before the start of the season. Not sure what site your one but #1 and #4 are done for us. I suspect from your advice in the past that your rules leave no gray area so #2 should be cut and dry. #3 is a pain so we assigned a treasurer...the guy with the combination of good-with-money and not afraid to hurt someones feelings. I'm neither

I'm the commish in our leage. Back in the old days, got $100 break. When we went online (MFL) came out of my fee. With the increase in MFL, my break went to $150 (out of $500 fee). So it's really about a $80 break as i think MFL is $70 now.

Believe me, in my league I earn every dime of it. Due to some weird rules we have, I have to do all finances offline. Also, our blind bidding waivers necessitate manual intervention on every one. However, mostly its simply for keeping eveyone else in-line. They are not all diehards but love the game - means last minute "I'm in the car, can you put my lineup in/ put in my blind bid for me" calls that I do take if possible. No one has ever begrudged me a dime.

I Commish 1 league. I pay the same amount as everyone else. I would never presume to expect to play for free, and I don't think I would ever feel comfortable suggesting that I should.

Now if my league-mates wanted to take up that cause, I sure wouldn't shout them down! :D

as a commish...I pay an entry fee that is lesser than everyone else's only because I pay for sportsline and the draft kit....

I just deduct those fees from the $160 entry fee...

Doesn't sound like you actually pay any less of a fee then - if you only pony up less because you pay for the website and draft night supplies? I make my league pay me back for the draft noight supplies and website fees...but I do still pony up the whole franchise fee.

KO'd

I Commish 1 league. I pay the same amount as everyone else. I would never presume to expect to play for free, and I don't think I would ever feel comfortable suggesting that I should.

Now if my league-mates wanted to take up that cause, I sure wouldn't shout them down! :D

I echo this post....I know after 11 years of being commish and never once having won the league (how sad is that?) that if someone else became commish that I would suggest to the league that the new commish should get to play for free....until you are commish I think most don't appreciate the work that is involved - even if we no longer have to add up all the scores or create monster Excel spreadsheets to add the scores up.

KO'd

Ive been Commish of my local since 1995, and have always paid.

The Commish duties are above and beyond that of the regular leaguemate, not in lieu of paying.

We have strict roster requirements. Each team must have 2 Qb's, 4 Rbs, 4 Wrs, 2 TE's, 2 K's and 2 D's at all times. The 2 extra players can be at any other position, but not both at the same. So the most you can have is one more than the minimum requirements at any position, with the 2 freebies, but those 2 have to be different positions.

And we have owners all over this if anyone drops a K or D for an extra RB or Wr, etc. So my job is quite simple. All votes must have majority, minus 2 owners, and I get double the vote for breaking ties.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

"Set the draft date to the same date each year" ... this I have tried, and it has never flown. Too many have kids that are very active. Several others have jobs where they travel alot.

Our transaction fees are unique in that the esculate with each transaction in a given week, the more transactions you make the more you pay ... so your first transaction is $5, each subsequent transaction is $1 more than the last one. Of course if you make a priority move or a free agency move after noon on Sunday then it is $2 on top of all of that. I have to monitor IR transactions as well ... as there are certain circumstances that require a fee. This means I keep track of all transactions off line ... and I have to pay attention to WHEN transactions are made because it influences HOW MUCH the transaction costs.

We also have 3 weekly prize categories that I have to track and manage. These categories are funded by any excess transaction fees that we have. High Team Points, High Player Points (started ... and can't repeat), High Victory Margin.

I think it is a great idea that the reigning champ take over commissioner duties ... but if your league is like mine nobody wants to be the commissioner. In addtion you may go from having a great commissioner to have one that sucks.

I assure you I earn my entry fee.

Doesn't sound like you actually pay any less of a fee then - if you only pony up less because you pay for the website and draft night supplies? I make my league pay me back for the draft noight supplies and website fees...but I do still pony up the whole franchise fee.

KO'd

I don't...I am just stating what I pay on draft day along with everyone else...

In reading this, kinda interesting. For those that say they don't take anything, it wouldn't fly, and everyone should pay, want to ask this as it may mean leagues like Grits and mine are diff. in terms of how "important" the commish is :

If you stopped commissioning your league, what would happen?

I can tell you that without a doubt, in my league (this is my 12 yr old "local" which I am actually no longer local to), the year I say "hey guys, can't commish anymore after this season" is the year the league folds. Maybe (and it's a big maybe) 3 of the owners would try to keep it together, but it's been told me by every owner they would stop the moment I did.

Not saying anything "special" about me so much as the league itself - it's very 'old-school' anyway, part of it being the fact the same guy has been cracking the whip, tallying up the amounts, and telling everyone what to do for over a decade.

Oh, and Grits, I finally went to "draft is opening night (thursday game) - figure out a way to be there or on phone"

First two years at least some of us were in Vegas for it so was easy...since it's just on peoples schedules. Guys plan around it now and every once in a while we have someone that has to call in.

In reading this, kinda interesting. For those that say they don't take anything, it wouldn't fly, and everyone should pay, want to ask this as it may mean leagues like Grits and mine are diff. in terms of how "important" the commish is :

If you stopped commissioning your league, what would happen?

I can tell you that without a doubt, in my league (this is my 12 yr old "local" which I am actually no longer local to), the year I say "hey guys, can't commish anymore after this season" is the year the league folds. Maybe (and it's a big maybe) 3 of the owners would try to keep it together, but it's been told me by every owner they would stop the moment I did.

Not saying anything "special" about me so much as the league itself - it's very 'old-school' anyway, part of it being the fact the same guy has been cracking the whip, tallying up the amounts, and telling everyone what to do for over a decade.

Oh, and Grits, I finally went to "draft is opening night (thursday game) - figure out a way to be there or on phone"

First two years at least some of us were in Vegas for it so was easy...since it's just on peoples schedules. Guys plan around it now and every once in a while we have someone that has to call in.

my local is very similar...

it would fold immediately...I am the only one willing to go through the BS to keep the league running, but I only started it in 2000 after getting blatantly getting screwed in another local...so I started my own...

I will say this - the fee itself matter. Meaning ours is a $500 entry fee - asking for that to be waived would be crazy. However, a $100 fee or less, a waiver is reasonable. Guess I'm saying for a commish that does have to do a bit more than just initially set up the site and maybe once a week send one email, a $100 "break" for payment seems about right.

I pay 40% of the league fee, no one in the league minds, since i do spend a lot of time on making the league better with new rules that improve the league, dealing with deputes in a fair way.........

I would not want to commission a league if my fee was the same as the other players, I would just rather be a regular team and enjoy the season with out headaches.

I will say this - the fee itself matter. Meaning ours is a $500 entry fee - asking for that to be waived would be crazy. However, a $100 fee or less, a waiver is reasonable. Guess I'm saying for a commish that does have to do a bit more than just initially set up the site and maybe once a week send one email, a $100 "break" for payment seems about right.

Our entry fee is only $65.