[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin Johnson

Hat Trick

DMD says this:

Calvin Johnson would seem to merit an increase now from just the need alone but only managed one catch last week on his three passes. His best effort of the year was in week 12 when he was thrown 15 passes and caught seven for 83 yards and a score but that level of attention will need to continue if the Lions are going to have a chance in games. And yet - Johnson has only been targeted like that once. He has spent almost the entire year with three catches for around 40 yards in games.

WW says this:

With Williams gone for the season, Johnson is expected to move into the starting lineup. But other than the week 12 game where the Lions forced the ball to him 15 times, he's been a fantasy disappointment. Will that change with him moving into the starting lineup? It's possible. But the better fantasy bets are Furrey and McDonald.

Rotoworld says this:

The Lions certainly need Calvin now that Roy Williams isn't available. Martz also confirmed that Johnson and Shaun McDonald will be his starting wideouts, and that the rookie had a "marvelous" practice Thursday. Martz says Johnson is "pretty close" to full strength.

Rotowire says this:

"He had just a marvelous practice (Wednesday)," Martz said of Johnson. "We're trying to get him a little more involved. But you've got to be careful, because he's still not exactly at 100%. But he's getting pretty close, so we're encouraged by that." With Roy Williams out due to a knee injury, Johnson should see plenty more looks as he will start this Sunday. The Lions figure to throw the ball a ton, making Johnson a decent start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't really started the rook very much this season, but without Williams and a Dallas team that can put up points on you in a hurry, so long as Kitna doesn't get his head taken off I really think this is Johnsons week to shine. Am I the only one thinking this way?

My projection is 7 catches 120 yards and 1 TD.

Edited by Hat Trick

Johnson is having a fairly standard rookie year that was been marred by a lingering back issue that is not enough to keep him out but still hampers him at least slightly. As for this week, sure - 7-120 is not impossible. But then again his best of the year has been 7-83 and that required 15 passes thrown to him while Roy Williams was on the field concerning the defense. I still think he will become a very good wideout in the longterm but since week four when he was hurt, he just hasn't figured into the equation nearly as much as we wished he would.

This week he has Terrance Newman covering him and that sometimes makes QBs shy away since Newman is considered the better coverage corner of the defense. But it just all depends on what Kitna does. I now wonder if Furrey isn't going to start replicating last year because now secondaries are going to be watching CJ the most.

Johnson is having a fairly standard rookie year that was been marred by a lingering back issue that is not enough to keep him out but still hampers him at least slightly. As for this week, sure - 7-120 is not impossible. But then again his best of the year has been 7-83 and that required 15 passes thrown to him while Roy Williams was on the field concerning the defense. I still think he will become a very good wideout in the longterm but since week four when he was hurt, he just hasn't figured into the equation nearly as much as we wished he would.

This week he has Terrance Newman covering him and that sometimes makes QBs shy away since Newman is considered the better coverage corner of the defense. But it just all depends on what Kitna does. I now wonder if Furrey isn't going to start replicating last year because now secondaries are going to be watching CJ the most.

+1

Anything is possible but it's no secret that if you want to complete a ton of passes, for lots of yards, and touchdowns versus Dallas... you're best off picking on Roy Williams with a slot WR or TE. Since Detroit doesn't use a TE, my money would be on Furrey or McDonald running routes at Williams all day and, both together, ending with better stats than Johnson this week.

As said by others, he hasn't had a big game yet, so I don't see why you'd pick this week's game against the Cowboys for his first.

Maybe he gets a couple extra balls thrown his way with Williams out, but I don't think it will make that much of a difference, even if he manages to hang onto them.

:D

If you look at any stud WR outside of Randy Moss, they all started slowly. I have no concerns with CJ and it is starting to look questionalble that Martz will stick around next year. If that happens, then it would still be fine for CJ because they would have less mutliple receiver sets. He is very talented, but just a rookie WR.

Rookie Years:

Terrell Owens - 35-520, 4 TD

Braylon Edwards - 32-512, 3 TD

Reggie Wayne - 27-345, 0 TD

Larry Fitgerald - 58-780, 8 TD

Chad Johnson - 28-329, 1 TD

Torry Holt - 52-788, 6 TD

Calvin has been hampered by a sore back for some of the year too...

I think the most positive spin on CJ the rest of the way would have to be that Williams "departure" makes him the most obvious redzone target. Now, I have him on one of my teams and have been keeping an eye on him all year and I must say that my initial statement should be read carefully. "The most positive spin".

We just LAUGH at Roy Williams, He gets toasted so much they need to make a backwards jersey because alls we ever see is him chasing guys who just burnt him into the endzone!!!

I've had CJ all year and it hasn't been pretty.. 60 yards TOPS.