[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Venison Hind Quarter

HowboutthemCowboys

I have a couple hind quarters in the freezer that have been boned, and am thinking about doing one in my smoker for the Super Bowl. Could I just rub it, smoke it, shred it and add bbq sauce for sandwiches ala pulled pork? My concern is (for those that may not know) is there's not an ounce of fat on these things and I'm worried about it drying out. As I said they're boned out ( I'll be slicing some for cheese steaks) and I figured I'd tie them up first.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

I've done a venison roast once on the smoker. Couldn't tell you what part of the deer it was from. Turned out real good. What I would do the second time:

Smoke it for about an hour. Put it in foil and mop it, and then finish it off the rest of the way in the foil. That way it will steam a bit in the mop to give it some moisture.

I've done a venison roast once on the smoker. Couldn't tell you what part of the deer it was from. Turned out real good. What I would do the second time:

Smoke it for about an hour. Put it in foil and mop it, and then finish it off the rest of the way in the foil. That way it will steam a bit in the mop to give it some moisture.

200-215 degrees....7-8 hours? I'll weigh it and get back to you but I'm guessing it goes about 10 pounds. :D

200-215 degrees....7-8 hours? I'll weigh it and get back to you but I'm guessing it goes about 10 pounds. :D

I'd go at 250.

Seems like a lot of guys around here in the BBQ contests are going with higher temps lately. I've seen 'em up in the 275-300 range even. And the success rate has been good.

Edited by Chief Dick

Thanks CD. Am I looking for a certain internal temp then instead of a certain amount of time in the smoker?

At least 165. If your plan is to shred it and make sammiches with it, cook it higher. It will pull apart a lot easier, and don't worry if it dries out a bit, especially if your plan is to add some sauce to it for the sammiches.

When I do pulled pork I let it get to an internal temp of about 200.

Basically an hour/pound is usually a good rule of thumb. That's at 225 degrees. You go up a little bit on temp and you can reduce that quite a bit. And in essence the meat can only absorb so much smoke, and it usually absorbs the max smoke the first hour or two. After that you are just cooking it.

• 2 weeks later...

as i haven't smoked then braised, here's my suggestion.....

smoke it as you or cd/unta/sld/pd reccommend..... go about half way. transfer to a roasting pan. now, not sure what direction you are doing with flavor (rub, sauce, etc)... i like using cherry coke, chili powder, garlic powder, minced garlic, brown sugar (or molasses or honey). after the meat is in the pan, you want the pan to be about half full. cook at 250ish. i rotate it as when you i get color on a particular side.... once i get color on all sides i loosely cover with foil and let it go until tender.... basting every 15-20 minutes