[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unsung heroes of college football

BS Miscreant

How does Colt Brennan, with his schedule, not just get mentioned but end up a finalist for the Heisman and these guys not even get any real attention?

Brennan - Hawaii

4,200 yds passing

38 passing TDs

46 combined TDs

14 INTs (9 against San Jose St and Idaho)

Kevin Smith - UCF

2,400 yds rushing (led the nation)

2,700 total yds

30 Total TDs scored (led the nation)

Only 1 game under 124 yds rushing and 1 without a TD (same game) ahem... against USF by the way.

Graham Harrell - Texas Tech

5,300 yds passing (led the nation)

45 passing TDs (led the nation)

49 combined TDs

14 INTs

and a little side note

Javier Arenas - Alabama (former player of mine)

He was 4th in the nation in punt return avg among players who had at least 20 returns (including one for a TD on national TV against LSU)

Also right around top 20 in the nation in kick return avg among players with at least 20 returns

Go Javi!!! :D

Edited by BS Miscreant

Kevin Smith should have gotten more love. Reminds me of another Smith, who I felt should have won it back in 1996, Troy Smith. Played on a horrible team, behind a horrible offensive line, and still rushed for over 2000 yards. I hate how the Heisman has become, the QB or RB on the "#1 team."

edit to add: I think Tebow deserves it. I have no problems with him. It should go to the most outsanding player, not the most outstanding player on the best team.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Kevin Smith should have gotten more love. Reminds me of another Smith, who I felt should have won it back in 1996, Troy Smith. Played on a horrible team, behind a horrible offensive line, and still rushed for over 2000 yards. I hate how the Heisman has become, the QB or RB on the "#1 team."

edit to add: I think Tebow deserves it. I have no problems with him. It should go to the most outsanding player, not the most outstanding player on the best team.

This year did show a bit of progress. They said on the Heisman presentaion show that this is the first time in 42 years that none of the finalists were on one of the top 5 teams in the country. That's something I guess.

49 combined TDs

14 INTs

I doubt we'll see a Tech (read: Mike Leach) player ever win the Heisman - there's a strong perception that "it's the system"; which it is, but Harrell seems to be running "the system" at as high a level as has been seen in Lubbock.

The reason Brennan gets mention but Harrell doesn't has to do with on stat you're overlooking - the "zero" in Hawaii's L column. Even though Tech plays a tougher schedule, undefeated carries some cachet.

I doubt we'll see a Tech (read: Mike Leach) player ever win the Heisman - there's a strong perception that "it's the system"; which it is, but Harrell seems to be running "the system" at as high a level as has been seen in Lubbock.

The reason Brennan gets mention but Harrell doesn't has to do with on stat you're overlooking - the "zero" in Hawaii's L column. Even though Tech plays a tougher schedule, undefeated carries some cachet.

Yeah, the no loss thing is a big one when they look at QBs. Hell, just look at Gino Torretta.

As for system QBs, Andre Ware won the darn thing and he was throwing the ball 60-70 times a game against nobody. I'm not saying Harrell should have won it but I didn't here much about him in the Heisman talk for a guy with those numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

How about UW-Whitewater (NCAA Div. III) tailback Justin Beaver. How's this to cap off your senior year. 1. Win the Stagg Bowl over heavy favorite Mount Union by rushing for 249 yards and capturing game MVP honors. 2. Finish your career 2nd on the D3 all time rushing list with over 6400 yards. 3. Winning the Gagliardi award (Top player in D3).

Plus in every interview I have ever witnessed from him the first thing I always hear, "it all starts with my line"

That is an Unsung hero :D

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm guessing that the same can be said for Tom Brady this year, as well as the record Moss set. As the Pats run a spread offense, which if you pay close attention to is quite similar to what Leach runs at TT. So if this thinking holds true then Brady doesnt belong in the same sentance with the Marinos, Elways, Kellys, Mannings, Montanas, etc of the NFL.......

So I'm guessing that the same can be said for Tom Brady this year, as well as the record Moss set. As the Pats run a spread offense, which if you pay close attention to is quite similar to what Leach runs at TT. So if this thinking holds true then Brady doesnt belong in the same sentance with the Marinos, Elways, Kellys, Mannings, Montanas, etc of the NFL.......

Ya got me, I totally said Harrell sucks.

How does Colt Brennan, with his schedule, not just get mentioned but end up a finalist for the Heisman and these guys not even get any real attention?

Brennan - Hawaii

4,200 yds passing

38 passing TDs

46 combined TDs

14 INTs (9 against San Jose St and Idaho)

49 combined TDs

14 INTs

and a little side note

I think the 2003 hiesman was even worse, as you mentioned above with those stats Colt gets mentioned, and Harrell gets left out. The 03 stats IMO were even worse, as Symons's stats were much gaudier than Whites.

BJ Symons- TT (not a finalist)

5833 yds passing (led the nation)

52 passing TDs (led the nation)

22 ints

65.4 completion percentage

Jason White- OU (winner.......lol, more like choker when it mattered)

3846 ydsd passing

40 passing TDs

10 ints

61.6 completion percentage

theres no justice with the heisman, seems now if the player isnt from a national powerhouse then they most likely will not win......