[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner Question

Grits and Shins

Scenario:

Playoff brackets were seeded as such:

1 - bye

2 - bye

3 vs 6

4 vs 5

But by rule they should have been seeded based on conference which would have seeded them as such:

1 - bye

2 - bye

3 vs 5 (in conference division winner not on bye vs conference wild card)

4 vs 6 (in conference division winner not on bye vs conference wild card)

With the incorrect seeding

3 defeats 6

4 loses to 5

With the correct seeding

3 defeats 5

4 defeats 6

What do you do?

I would suggest seeding them correctly in the first place. :rimshot:

If it is in the rules, it is in the rules far as I am concerned. How come no one noticed until afterwards?

Tough pill to swallow for team 4 and 5. If none of the teams caught this before the seedings, the games should stand. If they said something and nothing was done, you just wasted 4 months of fun and will have to come up with another plan.

You could have team 4-5-2 all play to face the winner of the 1-3 game, this would hurt both the 1 and 2 seeds as the 2 would have to beat two teams and the 1 would face a higher seeded team.

Or you could hold firm and play it out as it was set up, I forsee much abuse for the commish in the upcoming year....let me guess, she was already out of it and lost focus.......

Tough pill to swallow for team 4 and 5. If none of the teams caught this before the seedings, the games should stand. If they said something and nothing was done, you just wasted 4 months of fun and will have to come up with another plan.

You could have team 4-5-2 all play to face the winner of the 1-3 game, this would hurt both the 1 and 2 seeds as the 2 would have to beat two teams and the 1 would face a higher seeded team.

Or you could hold firm and play it out as it was set up, I forsee much abuse for the commish in the upcoming year....let me guess, she was already out of it and lost focus.......

I don't believe that the 1 and 2 seeds should be penalized by having to face multiple teams.

The assistant commissioner seeded the brackets and is the 4 seed. The commissioner is the 6 seed team.

I really think there are only 2 options ... either the games stand as seeded or they are seeded per the rules.

before or after, the fact is the rules should stand. Nobody game planned their win today, fair is fair. You can't set a precedent that if the rules aren't followed it doesn't matter. Otherwise, if someone "notices" something wrong they may not say anything until they're sure it won't benefit them. Teams need to know that the rules prevail no matter when noticed, black and white.

before or after, the fact is the rules should stand. Nobody game planned their win today, fair is fair. You can't set a precedent that if the rules aren't followed it doesn't matter. Otherwise, if someone "notices" something wrong they may not say anything until they're sure it won't benefit them. Teams need to know that the rules prevail no matter when noticed, black and white.

I also agree with this post.

Does it make a difference that following the rules benefits the 4 seed, the team that seeded the brackets?

Why would advantage/disadvantage make anyone think that it would be okay to circumvent written rules?

It's too early to go fishing when it's this cold out, blitz.

Why nobody noticed :D

It was only noticed when the round 2 matches were being set up

Would the opponent have made a difference in the line-up that the teams set? I can't see how it would as in the playoffs you normally would start the players that would score the most points.

Essentially there was a clerical error, but that should not override the rules. The 4 teams scored what they scored and would have won or lost. a mistake setting the match-ups should not change that. Only the team's performance under the rules should matter.

Why would advantage/disadvantage make anyone think that it would be okay to circumvent written rules?

It's too early to go fishing when it's this cold out, blitz.

:D Ice fishing....

I would say the games are adjusted per the rules even now...

Does it make a difference that following the rules benefits the 4 seed, the team that seeded the brackets?

Doesn't matter who seeded or who it benefits, it matters whats in the rules. Unless when doing the seeds that team thought "I'll schedule the wrong opponenet and if I win hope nobody notices, if I lose I get a shot at a W against the correct team by saying oops." Highly doubt that but you never know.

BTW, I see team 3 wins either way, team 6 loses either way, and team 4 did the seedings so its really a question of 5. You could say team 5 advances because team 4 f'd up but that would be "grade-school" logic. Team 5 really knows he/she should have lost. Whats right is right, thats why rules are written.

Doesn't matter who seeded or who it benefits, it matters whats in the rules. Unless when doing the seeds that team thought "I'll schedule the wrong opponenet and if I win hope nobody notices, if I lose I get a shot at a W against the correct team by saying oops." Highly doubt that but you never know.

BTW, I see team 3 wins either way, team 6 loses either way, and team 4 did the seedings so its really a question of 5. You could say team 5 advances because team 4 f'd up but that would be "grade-school" logic. Team 5 really knows he/she should have lost. Whats right is right, thats why rules are written.

Team 3 scored 142.86

Team 4 scored 138.68

Team 5 scored 140.86

Team 6 scored 98.44

So yes ... team 3 wins regardless and team 6 losses regardless.

Team 3 is the only other team that could have defeated Team 5 this week.

I always wonder if I'll ever do this (our tiebreakers get kinda screwy and need heavy digging sometimes). IMO, you revert to the rules, and do it quickly to not compound the prolbem. Doesn't make any diff that the guy that made the mistake of the brackets is the one that wins now when lost the way he set it up. Those two things aren't connected in any way obviously (if they are, it backfired).

However, in saying there is no gameplanning....that's true 99% of the time, but sometimes guys will start a WR or QB over another pretty close one because the other team has the "matching" player (meaning you have say Derek Anderson and Tony Romo (just throwing names out) and their matchups point to them being dead even for the week - not sure who you are going to start, but your opponent has TO - may start Romo for that reason as the deciding factor). Doubt that happened, but worth bringing up.

Really a no-brainer...match-ups should be re-set per your league rules.

1. No owner set a line-up to play a particular team....they set a line-up that would score the most points. Period.

2. It was human error that can easily be corrected....what difference does it make to correct it at this point? The fall-out is that one owner (Team 5) is going to be pissed because he thought he won, but now realizes he lost. He should be able to swallow the pill like a man, since he has no argument that the mistake should stand. For the sake of the league and from an ethical standpoint, its much better to correct it, than to allow the mis-seeding to stand and basically make a mockery of the entire season/league.