[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice

Patriots

I was reading up on his record of 22 tds in a season and he did it in 12 games because the season was shortened because of the strike. If he avg 1.5 tds a game than he would have wound up with 28.

Even if Moss breaks his record I think you have to take into account the amount of games it took him.

Jerry Rice was the man.

Doesn't work. You can't take into account changes in playing skeds, games per season, o-line, d-line, different times, whether you like the player or not, etc.

A record is a record and no asterisk is required.

but they are used to asterisks :D

I agree that a record is record, but I was just showing how impressive Jerry Rice's season was.

Ahhh.... I see. Then this statement really doesn't mean what I thought it meant:

"Even if Moss breaks his record I think you have to take into account the amount of games it took him."

Guess I need to work on my reading comprehension skills. LOL

I was reading up on his record of 22 tds in a season and he did it in 12 games because the season was shortened because of the strike. If he avg 1.5 tds a game than he would have wound up with 28.

Even if Moss breaks his record I think you have to take into account the amount of games it took him.

Jerry Rice was the man.

..but, he didn't average 1.5 a game.

He averaged 1.833333 per game.

Over a 16 game season, that's 29.33 TDs.

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter. If it did, Ted Williams owns all of the major MLB batting records.

..but, he didn't average 1.5 a game.

He averaged 1.833333 per game.

Over a 16 game season, that's 29.33 TDs.

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter. If it did, Ted Williams owns all of the major MLB batting records.

and Warren Moon owns all the passing records

in any sport when i compare players with reords I do keep in mind things like this.

when you talk about backs with 1000 yards it is impresive depending on the era of football your talking about.

Alot of people outside of dallas understand that E. smith was aidided a big deal with that O-line, and know if berry sanders or walter P would be in that system they would have that record.

I dont want to piss on moss about it what he is doing is real impresive. but even if he breaks the record, I know that Rice was more impresive that season.

things like this make sports fun, it creates discution, and it put things in perspctive.

Edited by whitem0nkey

Hey, if TDs against the Dolphins count this year...

LOL I'm just saying. Every record could have an asterisk next to it. It takes abnormal circumstances for someone to put up abnormal numbers. He will probably break it, and when he does he deserves all the recognition that comes with it. So Rice had 22 in 12 games. Let's not forget that NO ONE ELSE, not even Rice himself, has even reached 20 before or since...

Against replacement players?

As Big John said - Rice's TDs were accomplished while sitting out the 3 replacement games. I think Reggie White tallied 21 sacks in 12 games that year as well.

Charles White won the rushing crown in LARGE part because he played in all 15 games, and finished a mere 86 yds ahead of Eric Dickerson, who only played in 12 games.

True, but how much game-planning is really done in a mid-season, strike shortened season. It's not just a coincidence that this is the same year he set the record...

I'm pretty sure that even at that point in time, the most basic game-planning on defense included the words "double-cover Jerry Rice"