[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ten Reasons Why OSU wins the BCS NC

Rockerbraves

Here are ten reasons why Ohio State will win the BCS National Championship.

10. 2006 Florida Gators, 2005 Texas Longhorns, 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes

Three of the past five national champions were given next to no shot whatsoever to win the title beforehand.

9. Coaching

Les Miles isn’t Urban Meyer

8. The nation’s No. 1 defense is Ohio State …

Dog the Big Ten all you want, but the conference has some solid offenses with six ranking in the top 50

7. Yes, Ohio State can run with LSU, and any other team in the SEC

You don’t get 59 players drafted in seven years without having a ton of speed and athleticism flowing through the program.

6. The OSU offensive line

if it’s not the best in the game, it’s a close second behind the Oklahoma line.

5. The OSU defensive front should be able to get into the backfield

The LSU O line is strong when it comes to powering the ball, but it struggles at consistently protecting the passer.

4. LSU’s defense might not be quite as good as advertised

a defense as good as LSU’s shouldn’t have allowed 50 points to Arkansas and 43 to Kentucky, even if both games went to three overtimes

3. Injuries.

LSU's DT Glenn Dorsey’s knee, LB Darry Beckwith’s ankle, QB Matt Flynn’s shoulder, QB Ryan Perrilloux’s finger, and a variety of other issues could contribute to next month being as much about healing as it is about preparing.

2. It’s not like LSU has been all-timer special since September

Injuries can only be partly to blame for LSU not blowing teams out over the second half of the season. The standards might be a little high considering the Tigers won the SEC title and is in the national title, but a team this talented probably shouldn’t have struggled so much with Alabama and Ole Miss, and it shouldn’t have lost to Kentucky and Arkansas.

1. Florida 41 … Ohio State 14

Talk about motivation, how sick is Ohio State of hearing about the clunker in Glendale? Florida might have come into last year’s national championship with a great game-plan and a mega-chip on its shoulder, but the Buckeyes also came into it off the banquet circuit and figuring the game was a mere formality. Ohio State didn’t get to be Ohio State by not being able to adapt and adjust. This was the nation’s No. 1 team for a good portion of the season, and technically, it’s in the top spot right now. The team really is that good.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/710321.html

Edited by Rockerbraves

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All are great points. Herbstreit said it best... for the next month we're gonna be hearing about 41-14, and how slow ohio state is, and their record vs the SEC, and their weak schedule. LSU is the team here with everything to lose. They are the favorite, and really, based on the SEC homers that reside here on thehuddle, they should be a 20 point favorite in this game. Too much speed for SloHio.

All are great points. Herbstreit said it best... for the next month we're gonna be hearing about 41-14, and how slow ohio state is, and their record vs the SEC, and their weak schedule. LSU is the team here with everything to lose. They are the favorite, and really, based on the SEC homers that reside here on thehuddle, they should be a 20 point favorite in this game. Too much speed for SloHio.

On the contrary I think Ohio State is the team with all the pressure. Ranked #1 and still catching all the slack from the media while LSU feels lucky just to be there. Can't tell me the players at OSU aren't wondering if last year was a fluke or reality. Think we can both agree if OSU wins they raise the Big 10 a level or two, but if a 2 loss SEC team beats them it will almost certainly damage the creditability of the Big 10.

Lot of weight on the Buckeye's this game.

On the contrary I think Ohio State is the team with all the pressure. Ranked #1 and still catching all the slack from the media while LSU feels lucky just to be there. Can't tell me the players at OSU aren't wondering if last year was a fluke or reality. Think we can both agree if OSU wins they raise the Big 10 a level or two, but if a 2 loss SEC team beats them it will almost certainly damage the creditability of the Big 10.

Lot of weight on the Buckeye's this game.

Fans are funny trying to reverse the mojo on the other team. :D

The team is hearing plenty about not being given much of a chance and nationally being disrespected.

I can tell you this the players are not feeling last year was a fluke, they are pretty miffed about their performance and have said openly that they under estimated Florida and Meyer and that this year it's a business trip.

I like how quiet it's been around here, not nearly the hoopla as last season. The coaching staff and even the media is low key and for Columbus that's rare. I feel good about the matchup and I'm looking forward to watching a exciting game.

The dispatch has had little articles here and there, but nothing like last season...Oh by the way OSU is proud to be in the Big Ten, but the players are not feeling any weight as far as to carrying the flag for the Big Ten. I think fans get into that stuff. I think it's funny to think Beanie sits in his pregame thinking I represent Michigan and Northwestern. I must play well for the Big Ten.

Anyway you look at it Vegas has the Bucks losing to another SEC school and why not it's 0-8 and 41-14.

Tress is 0-2 against SEC.

One thing I noticed about the SEC that's different than most conferences. SEC fans are like family we fight all the time against each other, but if any one of us get in a tangle with anyone outside the family we root for our brothers.

Please don't give me this Jim Tressel is 0-2 against the SEC crap. Like the article said his reputation might have suffered a hit after the Florida loss, but he’s still an amazing 73-15 (83%) with four straight bowl wins before the 2007 BCS Championship debacle. This is a big game head coach with a big game staff who’s been in the biggest of the big game spotlights for several years. Miles came through strong in his first BCS game appearance with the 41-14 Sugar Bowl win over Notre Dame, but this is the national championship and his defensive coordinator, Bo Pelini, has his head already half-focused on the Nebraska job.

LSU is favored, and most expect them to win. The favorite always has the most pressure. Because for the next month, people will be talking about how LSU shouldn't have any problem beating Ohio State.

There's a difference between being over confident and having pressure. LSU could suffer from over confidence but losing would not hurt LSU or the SEC as much as it would damage OSU & the big 10 come next year.

One thing I noticed about the SEC that's different than most conferences. SEC fans are like family we fight all the time against each other, but if any one of us get in a tangle with anyone outside the family we root for our brothers.

Please don't give me this Jim Tressel is 0-2 against the SEC crap. Like the article said his reputation might have suffered a hit after the Florida loss, but he’s still an amazing 73-15 (83%) with four straight bowl wins before the 2007 BCS Championship debacle. This is a big game head coach with a big game staff who’s been in the biggest of the big game spotlights for several years. Miles came through strong in his first BCS game appearance with the 41-14 Sugar Bowl win over Notre Dame, but this is the national championship and his defensive coordinator, Bo Pelini, has his head already half-focused on the Nebraska job.

They play anohter but ND they lose their BCS game last yr. Good Luck with that.

You guys are talking like LSU is a huge favorite. I saw in the paper this morning they're giving up 4 pts. When you consider the game is in NO, that's not a lot.

I'm really not looking forward to this game at all, I suppose because I have no reason to believe that either of the contestants are the two best teams in the country. Last year there was a much better story line. OSU was undefeated and everybody was fawning all over them. The fact that people were pissed that FL and not Mich was going against them gave a great story line. Those of us who thought it lame for two teams who hadn't really proven themselves out of conference should re-match at the expense of anyone else really wanted to see OSU get blown up.

This year, I could give a crap. OSU wins, at least they get the SEC monkey off their back but I don't walk away with any amount of closure because I really don't think LSU is all that. LSU wins, they become the latest in a long line of SEC teams to do OSU in big games. An OSU team, mind you, that hasn't really beaten anyone all that good. Once again, can you find this remotely satisfying?

This is starting to sound like a broken record, but this might be the worst the BCS has done thus far. I tend to think that, in every other year, at least one of the teams in the game was considered by pretty much everyone to be one of the two best teams in the country. The argument was who the 2nd team should be. This year, it just seems totally random. Both teams played their way out of the game only to back-door their way back in. I mean, if that doesn't get you fired up, what does? :D

Once again, it's not like I feel OSU doesn't deserve to be in the game. Based on the rules, they're the only one you can't really argue against. But pardon me for being a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing.

This year, it just seems totally random. Both teams played their way out of the game only to back-door their way back in. I mean, if that doesn't get you fired up, what does? :D

Once again, it's not like I feel OSU doesn't deserve to be in the game. Based on the rules, they're the only one you can't really argue against. But pardon me for being a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing.

So OSU does or doesnt belong there? What is your point besides venting? And who exactly didnt play thier way out of the NC game this year? This back door argument everyone is spewing is crap. Did they need a lot of help, of course, but how do you back door your way in when you win your last game and conference championship? If any one of the several teams that held the #1 or #2 spot this year hadnt played their way out they would be in. Its not like they jumped over anyone who didnt loose. :cough: can you step out of the picture Hawaii, your blocking the real teams :cough:

This is starting to sound like a broken record, but this might be the worst the BCS has done thus far. I tend to think that, in every other year, at least one of the teams in the game was considered by pretty much everyone to be one of the two best teams in the country. The argument was who the 2nd team should be. This year, it just seems totally random. Both teams played their way out of the game only to back-door their way back in. I mean, if that doesn't get you fired up, what does? :D

Won't argue with much that you said except the part where you say "this might be the worst the BCS has done thus far".

How would you have handled this season differently if you were the BCS?

It's not their fault we don't have any undefeated BCS teams to choose from. Overall the BCS did the best job they could in a season that can only be describe as "amazing". Not sure about anyone else, but I'll take a season like this again next year. I loved it...even if LSU would have missed out on the BCS NC game. It was nice to see other conferences become more competitive even though we pretty much got the same final results. Big 10 OSU, Big 12 Oklahoma & PAC10 USC. Heck we even got to discuss the possibility of S. Florida and Boston College making it to the big game. That's pretty awesome.

Maybe you disagree, but I'm one of those who enjoys a more competitive season than a chance to play in a MNC game. I welcome Saban to Bama. Nutt to Ole Piss and Petrino to Arkansas for that very reason.

So OSU does or doesnt belong there? What is your point besides venting? And who exactly didnt play thier way out of the NC game this year? This back door argument everyone is spewing is crap. Did they need a lot of help, of course, but how do you back door your way in when you win your last game and conference championship? If any one of the several teams that held the #1 or #2 spot this year hadnt played their way out they would be in. Its not like they jumped over anyone who didnt loose. :cough: can you step out of the picture Hawaii, your blocking the real teams :cough:

Yes, they belong there. They are a one-loss champion from a BCS conference. Nobody else can say that. However, what have they done this year to prove to an objective fan that they're certainly one of the best two teams in the country? They have no wins against anyone in the top 10 and only one win against anyone in the top 20. That doesn't do much for me.

How is it not backing in when, after the last game you played (or won), you were not in the NC game and then, while sitting on your couch at home, you end up in it? That doesn't mean they deserve it any less, but it certainly makes the match-up far less exciting. LSU's path wasn't exactly the same but no more inspiring. They lose the last week of the regular season, allegedly sealing their fate. Only to beat my Vols (a team nobody should confuse as one of the two best in the SEC) in a very unconvincing fashion in the SEC champ to "vault" their way back into the NC game. Once again, pardon me for not getting fired up. One team stumbles down the stretch and it doesn't matter, the other punches their ticket (in a very delayed fashion) with a 14-7 win against yet another un (or barely) ranked team that lost to a D-1AA team and has a 31 pt loss on their resume.

Are you honestly surprised that anyone besides OSU or LSU fans just can't get up for this thing? There's not a single NFL team with a chance to win the SB this year that I'm a fan of. However, I will be watching the play-offs intently, as I do every year.

Won't argue with much that you said except the part where you say "this might be the worst the BCS has done thus far".

How would you have handled this season differently if you were the BCS?

It's not their fault we don't have any undefeated BCS teams to choose from. Overall the BCS did the best job they could in a season that can only be describe as "amazing". Not sure about anyone else, but I'll take a season like this again next year. I loved it...even if LSU would have missed out on the BCS NC game. It was nice to see other conferences become more competitive even though we pretty much got the same final results. Big 10 OSU, Big 12 Oklahoma & PAC10 USC. Heck we even got to discuss the possibility of S. Florida and Boston College making it to the big game. That's pretty awesome.

Maybe you disagree, but I'm one of those who enjoys a more competitive season than a chance to play in a MNC game. I welcome Saban to Bama. Nutt to Ole Piss and Petrino to Arkansas for that very reason.

I would ditch the damned thing and have a play-off. I've said before that there aren't any other teams that have a better argument than the two in the game. So, given the system, I don't know if I would have any other teams play for the title. That seems like a failure of the system and proof, once again, given the lack of inter conference play during the regular season, you simple cannot count on two teams rising above the pack each year in a manner that makes the fans feel like they're watching the two best teams in the country play for the title.

Once again, I am simply saying, as a fan of the game, I have been failed by the BCS.

Are you honestly surprised that anyone besides OSU or LSU fans just can't get up for this thing? There's not a single NFL team with a chance to win the SB this year that I'm a fan of. However, I will be watching the play-offs intently, as I do every year.

Are you surprised that I hardly watch NFL football unless I have a bet on the game?

Sorry but the NFL isn't anywhere close to College football IMO.

Are you surprised that I hardly watch NFL football unless I have a bet on the game?

Sorry but the NFL isn't anywhere close to College football IMO.

That's the amazing thing. I also prefer the college game. I love college hoops and don't watch the NBA at all. It's just that in hoops, we get this amazing tourney every year that brings productivity in the US to a complete halt. However, saying the college game is great is just the same BCS apologist rhetoric. Like the whole, "Everyone is talking about it, so it must be great" line. Well, everyone is freaking talking about GW Bush, but that's not a reason to keep him around another four years.

Yes, they belong there. They are a one-loss champion from a BCS conference. Nobody else can say that. However, what have they done this year to prove to an objective fan that they're certainly one of the best two teams in the country? They have no wins against anyone in the top 10 and only one win against anyone in the top 20. That doesn't do much for me.

How is it not backing in when, after the last game you played (or won), you were not in the NC game and then, while sitting on your couch at home, you end up in it? That doesn't mean they deserve it any less, but it certainly makes the match-up far less exciting. LSU's path wasn't exactly the same but no more inspiring. They lose the last week of the regular season, allegedly sealing their fate. Only to beat my Vols (a team nobody should confuse as one of the two best in the SEC) in a very unconvincing fashion in the SEC champ to "vault" their way back into the NC game. Once again, pardon me for not getting fired up. One team stumbles down the stretch and it doesn't matter, the other punches their ticket (in a very delayed fashion) with a 14-7 win against yet another un (or barely) ranked team that lost to a D-1AA team and has a 31 pt loss on their resume.

Probably just semantics, but I always thought backing in was loosing the last game but moving on anyway. Not needeing someone to loos and them loosing. Anyway, I am not asking anyone to be fired up for this game, I could care less really.

That's the amazing thing. I also prefer the college game. I love college hoops and don't watch the NBA at all. It's just that in hoops, we get this amazing tourney every year that brings productivity in the US to a complete halt. However, saying the college game is great is just the same BCS apologist rhetoric. Like the whole, "Everyone is talking about it, so it must be great" line. Well, everyone is freaking talking about GW Bush, but that's not a reason to keep him around another four years.

I'm for a plus one game and that's it. No need to cheapen the season for the sake of the number 8, 12 & 16th teams. Not sure where you are from but productiviity around here comes to halt just about every football weekend. :D

I'm for a plus one game and that's it. No need to cheapen the season for the sake of the number 8, 12 & 16th teams. Not sure where you are from but productiviity around here comes to halt just about every football weekend. :D

Still more BCS apologist rhetoric. I think the fact that a 2nd loss almost always torpedos your shot at the NC game cheapens the season more than letting the top 8 of 120 battle it out for the championship. That, more than anything else is to blame for the fact that top teams refuse to play other top teams out of conference. Enduring 3-4 games against crappy teams each year at the expense of knowing how everyone really stacks up against each other cheapens the seasons more than letting someone have a crack at the title despite a few losses.

None the less, I would still take a +1 over this crap.

Still more BCS apologist rhetoric. I think the fact that a 2nd loss almost always torpedos your shot at the NC game cheapens the season more than letting the top 8 of 120 battle it out for the championship. That, more than anything else is to blame for the fact that top teams refuse to play other top teams out of conference. Enduring 3-4 games against crappy teams each year at the expense of knowing how everyone really stacks up against each other cheapens the seasons more than letting someone have a crack at the title despite a few losses.

None the less, I would still take a +1 over this crap.

There arn't enough weeks in the season to do what you are proposing with tougher OC. Heck Oklahoma didn't play Kansas, Georgia didn't play LSU, while a team like Iowa (purely as an example) didn't play either OSU or Michigan. There is just not enough time in a season to play all the good teams and who decides what teams are considered good. Washington, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Louisville are they considered no good from here on out? Are teams like Boston College, Illinois, S. Florida, Kansas considered good teams from here on out???