[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Merriman......shut your hole

Hat Trick

:D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22188991/

Fisher denies ordering 'hit' on Merriman

Chargers' linebacker will miss game against Lions with sprained knee

SportsTicker

updated 10:20 a.m. CT, Tues., Dec. 11, 2007

SAN DIEGO - San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman will miss next week's game with a knee injury, and his teammates believe it's no accident.

Merriman said a “cheap shot” led to his injury in Sunday's game at Tennessee, and the Pro Bowl linebacker told the San Diego Union-Tribune that several Chargers told him that Titans coach Jeff Fisher ordered a hit on him.

“Plenty of people told me it was a coach down there telling them to go get at me,” Merriman said.

Merriman suffered a sprained ligament in his left knee against the Titans and will miss this Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions.

Fisher dismissed Merriman's charges on Monday

“I didn't order a hit,” Fisher told the Tennessean. “The play was designed and you saw it on the practice field if you watched practice. We're playing ball, that's all. ... He's a good player, but we're playing ball.”

The Chargers claimed the Titans were seeking retribution for Merriman's hit on quarterback Vince Young following a handoff. Young was knocked to the turf and removed from the game.

“(Tennessee) was a dirty team,” Merriman said. “I ran into Vince (Young). It wasn't anything intentional, and the crowd reacted and wanted a lot more than what happened. I really pulled up on him. I know him very well and he knows I wouldn't do anything like that. I wish no injury on anybody.”

Fisher said he didn't fault Merriman for the hit on Young.

“It is just one of those things that happens,” Fisher said.

That didn't appease the Chargers, who said Titans center Kevin Mawae and another player were involved in the play with intentions of hurting Merriman.

On an earlier play that knocked Merriman out of the game temporarily, Titans tight end Ben Hartsock drilled the linebacker after going in motion, according to the Tennessean.

“I know they did, because the previous series they ran a play designed to crack back on (Merriman),” Chargers safety Marlon McCree told the Union-Tribune. “The guy came down and hit him on the blind side. Come on, what is that for? That's not necessary. And then a few plays later, he's down on the ground and two of the offensive linemen come and jump on his back? On his neck?

“Come on, this guy's got a family. You don't like how he plays, you don't like how he celebrates, stop him from getting to your quarterback. Don't hit him after the play or don't go after his knees and his neck.”

The Tennessean reported that Chargers Coach Norv Turner said he plans to send film of some plays to the league for review.

“Obviously the players after the game are emotional about certain plays,” Turner said. “There are plays that we are going to send in and we're going to get the league's opinion on it. ... There's a series of plays. Obviously the play with Merriman is one of them.”

Edited by Hat Trick

My favorite highlight of the year is him getting lit up my Maurice Jones-Drew; sorry to see YouTube yanked it. His latest whining is pretty funny in light of that hit. The boy just seems to have trouble admitting when he's had his butt handed to him. Maybe he's not so much without the juice?

The Titans ARE a dirty team. But the crackback block Merriman is complaining about is completely legal. I thought he hurt his knee on the collision with Vince? The crackbacked him the next play, I believe, but Merriman was gimpy after colliding with Vince anyways. . .

FROM YESTERDAY'S UNION-TRIBUNE. NOTE LT'S COMMENTS:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merriman out for Lions game, possibly longer

By Bernie Wilson

ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:18 p.m. December 10, 2007

SAN DIEGO – “Lights Out” is going to be on the shelf for at least one game, maybe longer.

Star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman will miss San Diego's home game against Detroit because of a sprained ligament in his left knee that knocked him out of Sunday's game at Tennessee, which the Chargers won in overtime.

Quarterback Philip Rivers is in a little better shape, saying he expects to play against the Lions even though he, too, has a sprained left knee.

“It will be at least one game,” Merriman said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Monday. “I'll be back to dominating in no time.”

Coach Norv Turner said Merriman's injury isn't season-ending.

“I'm not going to speculate, but it could be a couple of weeks,” Turner said.

Both Merriman and Rivers were hurt in the second quarter of San Diego's 23-17 overtime win at Tennessee, a hard-hitting game in which several players were hurt.

The team refused to give more details about the injuries.

Rivers either didn't want to be specific about his injury or was told not to discuss it with the media.

“I'll leave that up to the coach and the trainer as far as giving you the information,” he said. “I don't try to get caught up in all the scientific words that are used.”

Rivers wore a knee brace to his news conference on Monday.

“It was pretty sore this morning, but it shouldn't be anything I can't manage and get better during the week,” Rivers said.

With three games to go, the Chargers (8-5) lead the AFC West by two games over Denver. The Chargers can win the division for the second straight season if they beat the Lions and the Broncos lose to the Houston Texans on Thursday night.

Merriman had two sacks Sunday before he was hurt, pushing his season total to 11 1/2. Nicknamed “Lights Out” for his punishing hits, Merriman is the sixth player in NFL history to get 10 or more sacks in his first three seasons. His career total is 38 1/2.

He had an NFL-high 17 sacks last season in 12 games. He was suspended four games after testing positive for steroids.

Some Chargers thought Merriman was hurt on a dirty play.

Asked if he thought it was a dirty game, running back LaDainian Tomlinson said: “I don't know what you classify 'dirty' as. I don't know. I think it was a competitive game. I think sometimes throughout a competitive game things happen. Guys go to extra distance to make a play, make things happen.

“But understand something – that's the way the game was played a long time ago, when guys like Deacon Jones played,” Tomlinson said. “I think sometimes we forget it's football and guys before us played the game harder than the way we play it now. There's so many rules; you can't do this, you can't do that. And so when things like yesterday happen, people always say, 'Well it was a dirty game, dirty play.' I don't know. It's behind us now. This ain't the only time we're going to get played like that. We're going to have to face it again.”

Rivers limped off the field after taking a blow from defensive end Antwan Odom in the second quarter.

Rivers handed the ball to Tomlinson, rolled out and was clipped to the ground. He tried to walk off the field, nearly falling on his way to the sideline.

Rivers headed to the locker room, and was replaced by Billy Volek. But he was back for San Diego's opening series of the third quarter.

“I think it was one of those freak accidents, really,” Rivers said. “It was as physical of a game I've been involved with.”

Rivers returned for the start of the second half and played well down the stretch. He threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Gates with 9 seconds left to send the game into overtime, when Tomlinson won it with a 16-yard run.

Tomlinson rushed for 146 yards and one score, and caught a TD pass.

As someone that actually wtached Deacon Jones play in the 60's LT is correct - the game is played very differently now. I still laugh everytme I hear a ref say "excessive force or contact". It's a violent sport!!! It's almost like asking a solider not to aim for vital organs, "just wound the guy". And I'm sure someone will comment about comparing football to war and players to soldiers. But that too was common place back then. What a PC world we live in. :D

Edited by MothAudio

FROM YESTERDAY'S UNION-TRIBUNE. NOTE LT'S COMMENTS:

LT's comments are great, but if there is anyone still out there wondering why people can't stand Merriman.......

“It will be at least one game,” Merriman said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Monday. “I'll be back to dominating in no time.”

What a clown.

Why is this crap even covered?

Geez yesterday on NFL Live they covered who talked about who almost the whole broadcast. So what if Maqngini video taped the Patriots last year? Who cares if Fisher told his players to level Merriman?

What is this field hockey or football?

The Titans ARE a dirty team. But the crackback block Merriman is complaining about is completely legal. I thought he hurt his knee on the collision with Vince? The crackbacked him the next play, I believe, but Merriman was gimpy after colliding with Vince anyways. . .

Like him or not, he is a very generous person off the field and does A LOT of work in the community. Personnally, I don't like his shtick, but he is a stand up guy off the field and out of the spotlight!

Let's see, 11.5 sacks and only the sixth player in NFL history to have more than ten sacks in each of his first 3 seasons. Yeah... He misses the juice.

The crackback was a leagal play. From what I know, the play in question was one downfield, Merriman was TACKLED from behind and two O-Lineman jumped on top of him, on his back/neck and the back of his legs. There are no good TV shots, but coaches tape shows it pretty clearly and well away from the play. The play with Young, you can see he clealy was pulling up and there was incidental contact between the two. He could have kept going and really plowed him if he wanted to hurt the guy.

The Chargers actually hit the "fun meter" in the fourth quarter and started giving back what they were taking. The Titans lost that game because they ran out of gas and couldn't keep up. My bud that works for the team said that you could feel a sudden surge on the bench that they hadn't felt since last year. He called it the "Popeye Effect". He said it was like they collectively said' "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!" From that point on, it was all Chargers.

Like him or not, he is a very generous person off the field and does A LOT of work in the community. Personnally, I don't like his shtick, but he is a stand up guy off the field and out of the spotlight!

Let's see, 11.5 sacks and only the sixth player in NFL history to have more than ten sacks in each of his first 3 seasons. Yeah... He misses the juice.

The crackback was a leagal play. From what I know, the play in question was one downfield, Merriman was TACKLED from behind and two O-Lineman jumped on top of him, on his back/neck and the back of his legs. There are no good TV shots, but coaches tape shows it pretty clearly and well away from the play. The play with Young, you can see he clealy was pulling up and there was incidental contact between the two. He could have kept going and really plowed him if he wanted to hurt the guy.

The Chargers actually hit the "fun meter" in the fourth quarter and started giving back what they were taking. The Titans lost that game because they ran out of gas and couldn't keep up. My bud that works for the team said that you could feel a sudden surge on the bench that they hadn't felt since last year. He called it the "Popeye Effect". He said it was like they collectively said' "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!" From that point on, it was all Chargers.

Yup, I'll be the biggest Chargers fan you ever saw if they knock off the Pats in the playoffs. Payback is a biotch :D

The crackback was a leagal play. From what I know, the play in question was one downfield, Merriman was TACKLED from behind and two O-Lineman jumped on top of him, on his back/neck and the back of his legs. There are no good TV shots, but coaches tape shows it pretty clearly and well away from the play.

I did'nt see the replay but heard Keyshawn and Parcells discussing it the other night. They agreed that the hit was'nt dirty and neither had a problem with it. No offense but I'll take their word for it over your's. :D

I did'nt see the replay but heard Keyshawn and Parcells discussing it the other night. They agreed that the hit was'nt dirty and neither had a problem with it. No offense but I'll take their word for it over your's. :D

they were talking about the crackback block. McBoog is talking about another play, I'm assuming later in the game.

None taken 'cause you don't know how to read/comprehend.

The play they were talking about WAS FINE. The play I'm talking about was not one you could see on TV. Please reread and submit your report for extra credit. :D

Yup, I'll be the biggest Chargers fan you ever saw if they knock off the Pats in the playoffs. Payback is a biotch :D

Honestly, I don't think the Chargers can score enough points to beat the Pats. I think they can possibly slow them down and they have a better chance if they keep it close early and keep LT a factor, but Rivers is a year away from being the guy that can come in a win a game like that on his own.

Rivers had a great, gritty comeback against the Titans that will help his and the team's confidence for this and years to come, but I am not convinced that he is quite there for a big league, playoff run if they have to put the whole game plan on his back from start to finish. The Titan win reminded them of an attitude that they had forgotten, but it is not enough on itself to take them all the way. They are also really dinged at the moment.

I was confident of their ability to win the division and possibly a game or two in the playoffs. But you never heard any big bravado that I thought they were going to the Superbowl. I felt, and still do that they have top 3-4 talent in the NFL, but they still need to get some things worked out.

What is scary is that it looks like the book is still out on Norv as HC. There are some quality guys that are available for next year and I don't see the front office eating Norv's contract if they win the division (practically by default :wacko: ) and maybe winning a playoff game. :D

When you think about it, the team was not really tested last year like they were this year and an 11-5 finish is not bad (if they win the last three).

My favorite highlight of the year is him getting lit up my Maurice Jones-Drew; sorry to see YouTube yanked it. His latest whining is pretty funny in light of that hit. The boy just seems to have trouble admitting when he's had his butt handed to him. Maybe he's not so much without the juice?

:D

The crackback was a legal block. The play Merriman was injured on, according to Charger players was a different one where he was already engaged with the Tight End when Mawae came in and dove at his knee and took him out. That would be a "chop block" which is illegal. The following quote is from the article in the San Diego UT:

"On the series after Young was injured running into Merriman, Merriman was cracked by tight end Ben Hartsock. He stayed in the game but on the next series, according to players, was engaged with Hartsock away from the play when center Kevin Mawae hit him low after the play. "

I know there are a lot of Merriman haters out there, but he's a dominant player who plays with a lot of heart and emotion. I'll take him on my team any day. He's one of those players who if he's on your team, you love him, and if he's on the opposing team, you hate him. I'm sure I'd dislike him if he weren't on the Chargers too.

I know there are a lot of Merriman haters out there, but he's a d0uche bag who plays with a lot of heart and emotion but whines like a girl when he's beat. I'll take him on my team any day. He's one of those players who if he's on your team, you love him, and if he's on the opposing team, you hate him. I'm sure I'd dislike him if he weren't on the Chargers too.

fixed

Mawae is a dirty player. I don't doubt it for a second.

Mawae also took out our Pro-Bowl defensive tackle Jamal Williams with a low block from behind at the ankle in the same game. We lost two Pro Bowl players in one game on cheap shots from the same dirty player. Both Williams and Merriman are OUT for this weekend's game against the Lions and possibly longer. :D

As someone that actually wtached Deacon Jones play in the 60's LT is correct - the game is played very differently now. I still laugh everytme I hear a ref say "excessive force or contact". It's a violent sport!!! It's almost like asking a solider not to aim for vital organs, "just wound the guy". And I'm sure someone will comment about comparing football to war and players to soldiers. But that too was common place back then. What a PC world we live in. :D

Actually the Geneva Convention prohibits targeting soldiers directly. You may only target equipment. So technically during combat when you fire your weapon you are suppose to aim at a helmet, canteen, belt, uniform but not the solider himself.