[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Petrino Out

Ice717

Blank can't buy a break. He supported Vick while Vick was lying to him while looking him in the eye. If it were me, I would have buried Vick last night. That would make all the "free M Vick" idiots very unhappy, but I would have done it for the empty seats.... the fans that are disgusted, not the ones that took 5000 seats last night.

Then this.... after Blank backed Petrino the way he did. Petrino deseres to be fired, given his refusal to use Norwood more.... he lies as much as Vick ever did.

On the other hand... Blank chose the likes of these two idiots over Mora. So, in the end, I guess he got what he deserved too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL Total Access spoke with DeAngelo Hall and Joe Horn over the phone and both (especially Hall) implied that none of the players really got along with Petrino. ESPN News was talking to somebody else over the phone (I forgot who) and, when this person was asked about Petrino's good and bad qualities, his response was something along the lines of this...

Good: Brilliant offensive tactician, finds ways to get the ball to his best players in critical situations, gives opposing defenses an overwhelming number of looks to confuse them.

Bad: Bad people person, not much of a personality, and can't be trusted by whoever hires him.

I get the feeling that Petrino is a classic bully in the mold of Bobby Knight. He can get young players to do what he wants via fear and intimidation, but that sh!t doesn't work with multi-millionaire NFL veterans.

And Vick's record as a coach killer remains intact.

I don't think this was a Vick killing but a college coach that couldn't adjust to coaching older players and the differences of pro vs college ball. I'm not surprised he bolted back to the college ranks but his timing is horrible.

Are you kidding? Look at how the Falcons have done with Blank and McKay running the ship. They have still never had back to back winning seasons in their history, they do not draft well, and they signed Vick to a huge contract. And of course they were going to have another great pick this season, they suck!!

Sorry, that might be your opinion, but I, along with others on this board, saw talent on this team. With an offensive minded coach coming in, it seemed like things were going up, especially with the drafting they have done. Say what you want about McKay and his salary cap restraints, but he can put together a winning team in the short term. I would love having Blank and McKay running my team. It's better than what the Bears have running them.

I'm somewhat amazed Petrino isn't being BASHED to death here...he signed a 10 year deal at louisville, and left a year later. Then, yes he got screwed a bit by the Vick saga, but is that a ton different that guys that lose starters to injury in the preseason? And he doesn't even play out a full season, but leaves THE DAY AFTER A GAME....

DeAngelo Hall is on ESPN now - he's a bit annoyed over all the joy the guy is showing over his Arkansas press conference, and I agree. 24 hours ago he was on the sidelines

Has this pro to college mid-season thing ever happened before?

Edited by xMRogers

I'm somewhat amazed Petrino is being BASHED to death here...he signed a 10 year deal at louisville, and left a year later. Then, yes he got screwed a bit by the Vick saga, but is that a ton different that guys that lose starters to injury in the preseason? And he doesn't even play out a full season, but leaves THE DAY AFTER A GAME....

DeAngelo Hall is on ESPN now - he's a bit annoyed over all the joy the guy is showing over his Arkansas press conference, and I agree. 24 hours ago he was on the sidelines

Lou Holtz was 3-10 (same record as Petrino) in I think 1977 with the NY Jets...then quit with a game left and took the same Arkansas job Petrino is taking. File under strange coincidences.

I'm somewhat amazed Petrino is being BASHED to death here...he signed a 10 year deal at louisville, and left a year later. Then, yes he got screwed a bit by the Vick saga, but is that a ton different that guys that lose starters to injury in the preseason? And he doesn't even play out a full season, but leaves THE DAY AFTER A GAME....

Unless that first sentence was made tongue-in-cheek, the following sentences seem to contradict it. :D

NFL owners and GMs need to stop looking for the next Jimmy Johnson and focus on finding a coach who actually FITS into the NFL. Petrino, Saban, and "Head Ball-Coach" were all miserable failures because they had no idea what they were getting into and couldn't make the necessary adjustments.

Yes, he did great in Tampa but ran off when the salary cap hell began (which he created).

McKay was the guy who drafted Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Ronde Barber, Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott, etc. Complain about the salary cap all you want, but you guys wouldn't have won crap without him.

As much as it's obvious Petrino wasn't going to be successful in the NFL, I was giving him a pass on this year considering he didn't lose just his starter but the highly touted backup QB from last season before he coached a game

BTW, DeAngelo Hall had a funny line at the end - essentially said "ain't going to be all that easy at Arkansas - aren't they near the bottom of the SEC, and hes got a lot of teams to jump over". You could tell he would probably just punch Petrino if he saw him (not that Hall is the most mature of guys)

As much as it's obvious Petrino wasn't going to be successful in the NFL, I was giving him a pass on this year considering he didn't lose just his starter but the highly touted backup QB from last season before he coached a game

BTW, DeAngelo Hall had a funny line at the end - essentially said "ain't going to be all that easy at Arkansas - aren't they near the bottom of the SEC, and hes got a lot of teams to jump over". You could tell he would probably just punch Petrino if he saw him (not that Hall is the most mature of guys)

Yeah, despite Hall's own douchebaggery, the other people who I heard speak about Petrino on ESPN/NFL Network gave me the impression that Petrino was not liked at all by his players. And given his recent bailing on contracts, he seems like a real ass off the field as well.

I'm somewhat amazed Petrino isn't being BASHED to death here...he signed a 10 year deal at louisville, and left a year later. Then, yes he got screwed a bit by the Vick saga, but is that a ton different that guys that lose starters to injury in the preseason? And he doesn't even play out a full season, but leaves THE DAY AFTER A GAME....

Losing a franchise quarterback that is worth $100 million+ with more in endorsements and whatnot to felony charges is A LOT different then losing a starters to injury in the preseason. Not sure how else to put it...

Per Profootballtalk.com:

POSTED 8:34 p.m. EST, December 11, 2007

PETRINO DIDN'T ADDRESS THE TEAM

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that former Falcons coach Bobby Petrino resigned without addressing the team.

Glazer also reports that Petrino held a brief (as in 10 seconds) meeting with his assistants.

"He just said to us, 'Guys I've resigned, I'm going to Arkansas. I'm sorry. I'll be talking with you guys in the future.' And with that he turned and walked out the door. We haven't been told anything else," one assistant coach told Glazer.

Several players called Petrino's handling of the situation "classless."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 8:29 p.m. EST, December 11, 2007

DID FALCONS APPROVE OF PETRINO'S RESIGNATION?

Not long ago, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the Falcons incorporated significant protections into Bobby Petrino's contract to prevent him from fleeing for a college job.

If Mort's report in this regard is right, then the inference to be drawn is that the Falcons gave Petrino permission to walk away.

And it makes sense, in our view, for owner Arthur Blank to allow Petrino to leave. He was hired to turn Michael Vick into a real NFL quarterback. But Vick will spend the next year and a half in jail. So why not let Petrino go and hire a head coach who can come in and lead the franchise in a new direction?

The wild card in all of this is G.M. Rich McKay. Plenty of league insiders believe that McKay should be relieved of his duties in light of his chronic enabling of Blank's chronic enabling of Vick. If he is, Blank can make a run for someone like Bill Cowher, who would want full power over personnel -- and who would also want to bring his own G.M. to the team.

Or Blank could hire a new G.M., and allow him to hire his own head coach.

As one league source opined, "McKay is and has been a joke."

If McKay stays, however, things could get really interesting. McKay wanted to hire Marvin Lewis to be the coach of the Bucs after Tony Dungy was fired, and Lewis could be looking for a way out of Cincinnati.

Then there's Dungy. Maybe he'd welcome the ultimate challenge of leading the Falcons from the lowest lows to the highest highs.

Other potential consequences of the Petrino move? College coaches like Kirk Ferentz and Pete Carroll are suddenly less attractive.

Also, keep an eye on John Fox of the Panthers. If he is fired, the Falcons might be poised to swoop in and hire him. As a result, it could be that Fox just secured another year in Carolina.

McKay was the guy who drafted Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Ronde Barber, Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott, etc. Complain about the salary cap all you want, but you guys wouldn't have won crap without him.

And I never said they would have but if you are going to praise him for all he did that was good then you should also point out the negative. Come on now, he left us for the Falcons. :D

Bad: Bad people person, not much of a personality, and can't be trusted by whoever hires him.

I get the feeling that Petrino is a classic bully in the mold of Bobby Knight. He can get young players to do what he wants via fear and intimidation, but that sh!t doesn't work with multi-millionaire NFL veterans.

Translation: d*ck face.

I don't see how anyone could trust the guy... I mean why would Arkansas even want someone who would bail on his team before the season is complete? Baffles me.

What a banner year for Atlanta... you can't help but feel sorry for the fans. :D

But on the bright side... Denny Green is available! :D

I was thinking the same - if your an Arkansas alum, aren't you a bit embarrassed right now? And it's not like your team was 1-10 and you can justify "better to hire a slime than be a laughingstock". Your a good team, and yea, maybe Petrino does make a you a great one for a bit, but at what cost (and when he leaves in 2 years, was it worth it)