[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets reportedly videotaped Patriots last season in Foxborough

gilwiggum

How ironic that this story breaks now...one would think that this would have been made public during "Spygate." Sad, sorry, pathetic attempt by either the media or an imbecile in the Pats organization to deflect their own cheating...

Edited by The Wolf

How ironic that this story breaks now...one would think that tis would have been made public during "Spygate." Sad, sorry, pathetic attempt by wither the media or an imbecile in the Pats organization to deflect their own cheating...

Agreed, it's very weird this came up now. Here is the article the ESPN story references:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...0,3978329.story

How ironic that this story breaks now...one would think that this would have been made public during "Spygate." Sad, sorry, pathetic attempt by either the media or an imbecile in the Pats organization to deflect their own cheating...

Ironic or not, are you trying to say that the Patriots doing something is cheating and the Jets doing the same thing is somehow less? What is it that you are trying to communicate here?

So to get back at the Pats Org Mancheati decides to take the matter with the Pats filming to the head office of the NFL causing BB to fork over 500K the team 250K and lose a 1st rd draft pick. Can't wait till Sunday Mancheati best wear a helmet because I expect him to get pelted with snowballs. If he were smart he would just walk back to the locker room with his head between his ass after the game because no one on the Pats Org will want to shake hands with that Rat.

Ironic or not, are you trying to say that the Patriots doing something is cheating and the Jets doing the same thing is somehow less? What is it that you are trying to communicate here?

That the Jets stink so we do not care? :D

Edit to add: Wait I got it...This happened last year right? That is why they were able to make the playoffs last year and they are so horrible this year :D God Dang CHEATERS!!!

Edited by SMF

Maybe I'm missing something here or reading this article wrong. And of course, it could be a matter of all the information has not been made available to the public. That being said....

From the original Newsday article, some snipets:

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching .purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

After Gillette Stadium officials saw him using the recorder early in the game, he was told to stop and leave the area. He had been filming from the mezzanine level between the scoreboard and a decorative lighthouse in an end zone.

"All filming at last year's Patriots game was done with pre-approval from the Patriots and in accordance with NFL rules," Bruce Speight, the Jets' senior director of media relations, told Newsday.

A person familiar with the situation told Newsday Tuesday night that the Jets wanted to acquire a second end-zone angle for both games in Foxborough.

the Patriots did not bring [this issue] up during the investigation into the Jets' charges of illegal videotaping by the Patriots in September.

Some things I'm thinking:

We certainly don't know if this guy had pre-approval or not. NYJ say he did, NE has not commented.

NYJ say they did it legally, and NE did not "turn them in" to the NFL.

NE violated the rules by filming from the sideline, which is clearly prohibited.

NYJ I am guessing violated the rules if this location they were filming from was not an actual "room". I don't know about the stadium layout. But it clearly was not from the sidelines.

Goodell gave NEP a swift fine (the harshest he could have given) and took a draft pick, apparently harsh penalties.

Goodell has yet to issue any punishment to the Jets.

With all of that considered, at this point in time, I don't think what the Jets did was nearly as bad as what the Pats did. Maybe other things will arise that shows they both were doing the same things and both will receive the same penalties. But until that day, I don't think this alleged violation is equivalent to that for which the Pats were found guilty.

I can't find the offical rule in a rulebook, but I found several articles that mention that "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game". The ESPN articles states "The employee's filming took place on the mezzanine level of the stadium." If indeed the recording was done at the mezzanine level, wouldn't that be permissible? It is a little pot calling the kettle black, but what the Pats did was explicitly forbidden. What the Jets appeared to do was more of a loophole?

Maybe I'm missing something here or reading this article wrong. And of course, it could be a matter of all the information has not been made available to the public. That being said....

From the original Newsday article, some snipets:

Some things I'm thinking:

We certainly don't know if this guy had pre-approval or not. NYJ say he did, NE has not commented.

NYJ say they did it legally, and NE did not "turn them in" to the NFL.

NE violated the rules by filming from the sideline, which is clearly prohibited.

NYJ I am guessing violated the rules if this location they were filming from was not an actual "room". I don't know about the stadium layout. But it clearly was not from the sidelines.

Goodell gave NEP a swift fine (the harshest he could have given) and took a draft pick, apparently harsh penalties.

Goodell has yet to issue any punishment to the Jets.

With all of that considered, at this point in time, I don't think what the Jets did was nearly as bad as what the Pats did. Maybe other things will arise that shows they both were doing the same things and both will receive the same penalties. But until that day, I don't think this alleged violation is equivalent to that for which the Pats were found guilty.

I would believe this is because the Jets did it last year where there was not a memo sent out in the offseason

Well then you sir are an absolute idiot....its ok for the jets or any other team to video from anyplace other than the sidelines??? like the Pats got caught doing???? just makes the point more valid that most teams have and still do this??? ( cheating ) ??? I think not........jets are gonna get their arse handed to them and will most likely cry about this and that and find some New way to hate the pats right!!! :D

Reading is fundamental. Jets got caught doing it from a location that may not be "illegal" by the rule. Pats got caught doing it from the sidelines, where it is specifically prohibited. No point in arguing w/ a homer until we find out if the league is going to do anything. If they don't, I will assume the Pats were guilty and the Jets were not. If the league fines them, I will probably look to the severity of the punishment to see which team committed the worse violation.

Reading is fundamental. Jets got caught doing it from a location that may not be "illegal" by the rule. Pats got caught doing it from the sidelines, where it is specifically prohibited. No point in arguing w/ a homer until we find out if the league is going to do anything. If they don't, I will assume the Pats were guilty and the Jets were not. If the league fines them, I will probably look to the severity of the punishment to see which team committed the worse violation.

There will be no fine the Pats never reported to the NFL, and even if they did this was last year and it was not considered a "big deal" last year. That is why when the Pat's camera guy was removed from the GB game nothing came of it.

To be honest niether are cheaters. The only people who have called the Pats cheaters are the fan base and media. The NFL have said that they broke a rule but it "did not effect the outcome of the game". I would say if you say that is cheating then going over the speed limit is cheating too!

Edited by SMF

so if the location of the pats camara week 1 was in a different location of the stadium not an illegal spot (sidelines) ...then they would NOT be labled as Cheaters???? is this what your implying???

If the Jets were filming from a location that was not prohibited by the rules, then they did not break the rules. That is what I am saying. The Pats broke the rules because they were filming from a prohibited location. If it is illegal to film from the sideline and that is what the Jets did, they would be breaking the rules. But the Jets were not on the sideline, so we don't know if they were breaking the rules or not, because we don't know enough about the specifics of the rule nor the location they were filming from.

I think a proper analogy would be: Your company prohibits smoking in the hallways, in the bathrooms, and in the front lobby. Smoking can be done in any office labeled a "smoking lounge". The Pats were smoking in the lobby, so it's breaking the rule. The Jets may or may not have been in a "smoking lounge", so they may or may not have been breaking the rule. Clearly, smoking at that company is not "illegal", but it breaks the rule if it's done in an improper location. Same w/ videotaping in the NFL, apparently.

Again, it's too soon to jump to conclusions that the location they were filming from did or did not violate the rule. If they get punished, I'm sure it will be because they were breaking the rule. Or, like SMF said, maybe the league didn't care as much then as they do now. Either way, we don't know yet if they broke the rule or not.