[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kiffin Next?

keggerz

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 1:20 p.m. EST, December 12, 2007

KIFFIN "PISSED" HE DIDN'T GET ARKANSAS JOB

An industry source tells us that Raiders coach Lane Kiffin was "pissed" that he didn't get hired as the next head coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The job instead went to former Falcons coach Bobby Petrino.

Here's our question. Since when did Arkansas become such a plum job?

Regardless, and as we hear it, Kiffin wanted it. He manifested his displeasure by, as we're told, slamming doors and cursing.

It's bizarre. The guy is the head coach of an NFL team. He has done well in his first year. Why in the heck does he want to give up what could be a promising career at the highest level of the sport?

So if Kiffin wanted Arkansas, then we assume that he'd be interested in other available college jobs. And that, as a result, he's possibly not long for the Raiders.

As to the Raiders' position on all of this, we're told that the belief is that owner Al Davis would be happy to let Kiffin go.

"It's the same deal there as it was in Atlanta," the source said. "No one is real happy."

And in regards to Kiffin, why would he want to leave? All accounts seem to be that he's making the best of the crappy situation there, the team is responding to him, he has a franchise QB, not really sure why Arkansas is really that attractive a job.

If a guy has no pro coaching experience, he doesn't belong as a HC in the pros. It's a different environment. At least of a guy has been a coordinator he knows how a pro locker room reacts versus a room full of kids. In college, your coach is somewhat in control of your future. In the pros, you are in control. Very different

If a guy has no pro coaching experience, he doesn't belong as a HC in the pros. It's a different environment. At least of a guy has been a coordinator he knows how a pro locker room reacts versus a room full of kids. In college, your coach is somewhat in control of your future. In the pros, you are in control. Very different

Yep, all of these owners/GMs are trying to find the next Jimmy Johnson... and are now finding out that he's the exception.

And speaking of Kiffin, I'm surprised that Lane's father never took a HC job. I suppose that he just wasn't interested, as he must've gotten a number of offers by now.

the problem is that many people in all types of careers get promoted for the wrong reason...certain jobs require certain skill sets...it is a teams job to hire someone with the skill set needed to do the job correctly.....having prior pro coaching experience should prove to be a very valuable experience but not one that is 100% needed, imo

some even go as far to say that to be a HC you need some sorta HC experience in your background...again I will say it would probably be a very valuable experience but not one that is 100% needed,imo

we see it all the time....

Good/Great Coordinators become HCs and FLOP

just like in business the best sales person gets promoted to manager and they flop....because manager requires a different skill set...coaching is really no different.

the problem is that many people in all types of careers get promoted for the wrong reason...certain jobs require certain skill sets...it is a teams job to hire someone with the skill set needed to do the job correctly.....having prior pro coaching experience should prove to be a very valuable experience but not one that is 100% needed, imo

some even go as far to say that to be a HC you need some sorta HC experience in your background...again I will say it would probably be a very valuable experience but not one that is 100% needed,imo

we see it all the time....

Good/Great Coordinators become HCs and FLOP

just like in business the best sales person gets promoted to manager and they flop....because manager requires a different skill set...coaching is really no different.

I guess I am saying that if I were an NFL GM, I would look for a guy with success as a coordinator at the pro level as a minimum requirement. If the guy had success as a college HC as well, that would be a big bonus for certain.

Sometimes you have to draw lines. And sometimes those lines cost you instead of protecting you. But for me, these would be the type of lines I would want to draw.

Getting back to Kiffin - this is crazy. This sort of mid-season "f-u, I'm outta here" thing hadn't happened in 40 years, and it almost happened twice? (cause I'll assume if Kiffin goes to Arkansas, someone else (michigan?) would have called Petrino and obviously he would have ran to it)

I agree with the above as well - haven't been paying a lot of attention, but surprised to hear Kiffin was ready to bail so quickly on what is a "rising" situation, not a "falling apart" one like Atlanta

I guess I am saying that if I were an NFL GM, I would look for a guy with success as a coordinator at the pro level as a minimum requirement. If the guy had success as a college HC as well, that would be a big bonus for certain.

Sometimes you have to draw lines. And sometimes those lines cost you instead of protecting you. But for me, these would be the type of lines I would want to draw.

Assistant coaches coach the players. Head coaches coach the coaches.

I wish many of these coaches would stay in college. Owners keep trying to talk these guys into the NFL because they have big names. Give Singletary or other NFL assistants the job instead.

:D Stay the hell away from Singletary! If there's anything that compounds the misery of having your favorite team since childhood be gawd awful, it's the fact that, despite the fact that your team sucks, everyone keeps plucking your coordinators!

Until the Icecream Man dies or retires, the Raiders suck and will suck for a long time. It has to blow big time to deal with "just win baby" while at the same time the person telling you that has no understanding of the modern era of the NFL.

The whole "rising situation" thingy is what... the worst record in the NFL to one of the worst? The D is Bottom five this year and showed none of the promise it did at the end of last (remember the whole "top rated passing D" chatter??? :D ), and the offense HAD to be better just by accident.

Look, I have made part of my football fan personna hating the Raiders almost as much as loving the Chargers. But that is really no fun anymore. That rivalry, at this point, has no meaning. It was much more fun to hate the Raiders when they kicked our asses on a regular basis :D The Chargers have beaten them eight straight (probably nine after the last game this year).

HCs will bail out of Choakland like rats off of a sinking ship until they get a real GM and ownership group that actually can get up before noon and stay awake past 5 p.m. withpout an hour or two nap in between.

Yep, all of these owners/GMs are trying to find the next Jimmy Johnson... and are now finding out that he's the exception.

And speaking of Kiffin, I'm surprised that Lane's father never took a HC job. I suppose that he just wasn't interested, as he must've gotten a number of offers by now.

Monte has been offered a couple head coaching jobs the latest being the 49ers position a couple years back. He was not interested.

Until the Icecream Man dies or retires, the Raiders suck and will suck for a long time. It has to blow big time to deal with "just win baby" while at the same time the person telling you that has no understanding of the modern era of the NFL.

They've been to a Super Bowl this decade. More than you can say about 20 NFL franchises.

HCs will bail out of Choakland like rats off of a sinking ship until they get a real GM and ownership group that actually can get up before noon and stay awake past 5 p.m. withpout an hour or two nap in between.

That's a lot of commentary coming from a Charger fan if you ask me. :D

The Raiders hit bottom. Davis is a control freak and made some gigantic mistakes in the offseason of 2006 that hit them even harder. There is improvement in the team this year, and its very much evident. They still need a lot of things to happen in order to be a quality franchise at this point, but jeez, would you rather be a Jets fan right now? Or a Ravens fan? Or a Chiefs fan?

They've been to a Super Bowl this decade. More than you can say about 20 NFL franchises.

That's a lot of commentary coming from a Charger fan if you ask me. :D

The Raiders hit bottom. Davis is a control freak and made some gigantic mistakes in the offseason of 2006 that hit them even harder. There is improvement in the team this year, and its very much evident. They still need a lot of things to happen in order to be a quality franchise at this point, but jeez, would you rather be a Jets fan right now? Or a Ravens fan? Or a Chiefs fan?

That's because Gruden did what he did in spite of Al Davis not because of him. I thought Kiffin was doing the same, but if he leaves Al may need to scout HS teams for head coaches.

Singletary could probably get it done but doubt he wants to be there.

The whole "rising situation" thingy is what... the worst record in the NFL to one of the worst? The D is Bottom five this year and showed none of the promise it did at the end of last (remember the whole "top rated passing D" chatter??? :D ), and the offense HAD to be better just by accident.

Look, I have made part of my football fan personna hating the Raiders almost as much as loving the Chargers. But that is really no fun anymore. That rivalry, at this point, has no meaning. It was much more fun to hate the Raiders when they kicked our asses on a regular basis :D The Chargers have beaten them eight straight (probably nine after the last game this year).

And this is why we Raider fans love you Charger fans. Decades of mediocrity from that franchise, disapointing seasons and wasted HofF players have amounted to 1 AFC Championship in 40+ years. And now as the team enters another downward spiral of wasted opportunities and brilliant coaching hires/fires, fellas like McBoog talk about OTHER teams msierable ownership and GM?!!? Hillarious, it must hurt so bad to be a Charger fan that you still cling to this fantasy that you are an elite team in the AFC West, nevermind the NFL.

Go Turnerball!

And this is why we Raider fans love you Charger fans. Decades of mediocrity from that franchise, disapointing seasons and wasted HofF players have amounted to 1 AFC Championship in 40+ years. And now as the team enters another downward spiral of wasted opportunities and brilliant coaching hires/fires, fellas like McBoog talk about OTHER teams msierable ownership and GM?!!? Hillarious, it must hurt so bad to be a Charger fan that you still cling to this fantasy that you are an elite team in the AFC West, nevermind the NFL.

Go Turnerball!

It is soooooo easy to get you guys to crawl out of your holes. :wacko::D

Like poking a stick at a hornets nest (that have lost their stingers) :D

It is soooooo easy to get you guys to crawl out of your holes. :D:wacko:

Like poking a stick at a hornets nest (that have lost their stingers) :D

AFC West since the AFL-NFL Merger

--------------------------------------------

Oakland Raiders: 5 Superbowl Appearences / 3 Superbowl Victories

Denver Broncos: 6 Superbowl Appearences / 2 Superbowl Victories

Kansas City Cheifs: 2 Superbowl Appearences / 1 Superbowl Victory

San Diego Chargers: 1 Superbowl Appearence/ ZERO Superbowl Victories

Chargers are still the worst team in the AFC West, let alone one of the worst franchises in the league over the past 40 years. Until you guys win a ONE SINGLE Superbowl :D ....shut your pie-hole :D