[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What sort of beans in chili?

Chavez

What do you use?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• chili beans (my wife says they exist)
    • pinto
    • kidney
    • other

I use pinto beans in my chili; my wife says they ruin it. I retort by calling her "f*cking crazy."

What do you use, and secondly, do you have any vehement objections to pinto beans in chili?

well, many people will get all indignant and say that chili doesn't have ANY beans. but let's face it, with beans it makes a much better stew-type meal.

when i make it, i use a can of kidney bears and a large can of chili beans. i don't know for sure, but i do think chili beans are pinto beans with, basically, some chili powder seasoning or something. they may be some other kind of bean, but it's the seasoning that makes them chili beans.

eta: chili beans

Edited by Azazello1313

My wife and I have this discussion/argument all the time. There are no beans in chili. You can serve chili with beans but chili is spiced meat.

That being said, when my wife is allowed at the chili she adds light kidney, pinto and for a color variation, garbanzo beans. She also adds black olives and corn. Her bean stew is excellent but I don't think she's ever made chili.

My wife and I have this discussion/argument all the time. There are no beans in chili. You can serve chili with beans but chili is spiced meat.

That being said, when my wife is allowed at the chili she adds light kidney, pinto and for a color variation, garbanzo beans. She also adds black olives and corn. Her bean stew is excellent but I don't think she's ever made chili.

Nope you have it backwards. Chili has beans in it. Chilli con carne means with beef. Oh,and it's dark kidney beans for me....

Nope you have it backwards. Chili has beans in it. Chilli con carne means with beef. Oh,and it's dark kidney beans for me....

There are no shortage of very passionate chili makers who would disagree with you.

I tend to be less dogmatic when it comes to defining chili in regards to with or without beans.

However, I can think of a number of classic "chilis" that have no beans at all.

There are no shortage of very passionate chili makers who would disagree with you.

I tend to be less dogmatic when it comes to defining chili in regards to with or without beans.

However, I can think of a number of classic "chilis" that have no beans at all.

Yeah, there's a hugh debate over the bean and non-bean chili. I use beans but I've certainly had outstanding chili without them. I'd say it rivals the putting ketchup on a burger vs non-ketchup. I saw a show on either Discovery or Food network where they were discussing how putting ketchup on burgers ruins the taste of the meat due to the acidity of the ketchup. :D

Edited by twiley

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it before, Gebhardt's is hands down the best chili powder on the market.

Carroll Shelby's recently received high praise here from several huddlers. I tried making a batch and thought it was excellent.

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it before, Gebhardt's is hands down the best chili powder on the market.

I'll give it a shot. I actually made my own once and it was hands down amazing but I'm too lazy to keep making it.

Do a search for Alton Brown and chili powder, it should come up.

Edited by twiley