[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

westbrook...what the hell?

buddahj

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

correct me if I'm wrong..

I believe the Def team is not allowed to pressure the QB on an obvious kneel down as in either it's an un-written rule or else it's an actual rule. For whatever reason a kneel down you never see any pressure.

It's sometimes makes me wonder about the intentional spike to kill the cloock if people also don't rush which brings up what happens if it's a fake spike (but that's another matter).

The Bears did exactly that against, IIRC, San Francisco four or five years ago. Two TDs in the last 30 seconds, I believe.

2001 Cleveland and Chicago

CHICAGO - TOUCHDOWN (14:32)

Play: Marty Booker 9 Yard Pass From Shane Matthews (Paul Edinger Kick)

Drive: 8 plays, 80 yards in 1:24

Key Plays:

• Matthews 14-yard pass to Booker to Chicago 35

• Matthews 12-yard pass to White to Chicago 47

• Matthews 9-yard pass to Terrell to Cleveland 44

• Matthews 17-yard pass to Allen to Cleveland 27

• Matthews 13-yard pass White to Cleveland 14

CLEVELAND 21-14

CHICAGO - TOUCHDOWN (15:00)

Play: James Allen 34 Yard Pass From Shane Matthews (Paul Edinger Kick)

Drive: 3 plays, 47 yards in 0:28

Key Plays:

• Howard recovery of onside kickoff at Cleveland 47

CLEVELAND 21, CHICAGO 21

CHI won in OT

The Bears did exactly that against, IIRC, San Francisco four or five years ago. Two TDs in the last 30 seconds, I believe.

2 scores in under 2 minutes happens A LOT (I bet).

Not likely but with more than 500 games a year something with a 1% chance will happen 5 times a year.

Chicago scored (or was it Denver?) 2 TDs this year against denver in less than 36 seconds. It wasn't at the end of the game but it happens quite a bit.

(denver scored a TD in between or the other way around) so it's one of those freak 35 seconds 3 TDs hardly ever happens I'll admit.

Edited by rai

like detlef said running a normal play is much different then a kneel down. I have been looking but i cant find evidence of there ever being a fumbled snap on a kneel down to end the game or half

I cant remember one off hand either,but thats why it would take be considered a crazy play if something like that ever did happen.

Edited by xtra

2001 Cleveland and Chicago

CHICAGO - TOUCHDOWN (14:32)

Play: Marty Booker 9 Yard Pass From Shane Matthews (Paul Edinger Kick)

Drive: 8 plays, 80 yards in 1:24

Key Plays:

• Matthews 14-yard pass to Booker to Chicago 35

• Matthews 12-yard pass to White to Chicago 47

• Matthews 9-yard pass to Terrell to Cleveland 44

• Matthews 17-yard pass to Allen to Cleveland 27

• Matthews 13-yard pass White to Cleveland 14

CLEVELAND 21-14

CHICAGO - TOUCHDOWN (15:00)

Play: James Allen 34 Yard Pass From Shane Matthews (Paul Edinger Kick)

Drive: 3 plays, 47 yards in 0:28

Key Plays:

• Howard recovery of onside kickoff at Cleveland 47

CLEVELAND 21, CHICAGO 21

CHI won in OT

I stand corrected, it was Cleveland. I couldn't remember if it was them or SF. Side note, but I think the Bears had an almost as ridiculous win against SF that same year too, in the game before or after the Cleveland one.

That was the most heads-up play I've seen in the NFL all season.

This is one of those situations where you have to be able to separate NFL and FFL.

Unfortunately, all of the people who think Fantasy is the wost thing to happen to the NFL will point to the folks who only see this through the lens of their own fantasy score as evidence for their point.

Props to all those who are able to bite the bullet and recognize the Play of the Week!

BTW I figure Dallas was favored to win that game, so this really only impacted the FFL world, but can you imagine the firestorm if Marion Barber kneeling down on the 1 yard line was the difference in Dallas covering the spread? Gamblers would be flying off balconies all over the country!

:D

fantasy owners everywhere can send their letters of displeasure or gratitude to jon runyan.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/200...id_scoring.html

Big Bird told Westbrook to avoid scoring

By RICH HOFMANN

Philadelphia Daily News

hofmanr@phillynews.com

IRVING, Texas - Just when you thought you had seen everything Brian Westbrook could do on a football field, he did something else amazing yesterday. He stopped.

With 2 minutes, 19 seconds left and the Eagles leading the Dallas Cowboys by 10-6, the eventual final score, the ball was snapped at the Dallas 25-yard line and it was handed to Westbrook and he went off right tackle and broke into the secondary.

He was free. He was clear. He was going to score the touchdown that put the Eagles up 11 points with about 2:10 remaining.

And then he stopped.

On the 1-yard line.

It was a selfless act with a strategic purpose. Dallas was out of timeouts. After the 2-minute warning, all the Eagles would have to do was kneel three times and the game would be theirs. You can debate the strategy - who could possibly calculate the odds of botching three kneel-downs and giving up a score vs. the odds of blowing an 11-point lead with 2 minutes to play? - but you cannot debate that Westbrook gave up a touchdown there and did it as an act of unselfishness.

What we found out later was that he had a little help in the decision-making from right tackle Jon Runyan.

"I just want to help this team win - and I got a stern talking-to by Jon Runyan right before that play," Westbrook said.

"He said, 'Listen, if you get down to the 1, take a knee.' I was like, 'Ahhh . . . ' He said, 'Take a knee, Westbrook, take a knee.' "

Then, during the play, Westbrook said: "I looked back and I saw all 6-7 or 6-8 of him running toward me saying, 'Get down.' So I got down . . . Runyan, he's our offensive leader out there. He's a coach. So he helped me out a little bit there."

It was the day's last amazing act. And if Donovan McNabb was the most impressive player yesterday on the Eagles' offense, so tough under pressure, Westbrook was typically essential. He ran the ball 18 times for 81 yards and had nine receptions for 63 yards. In the first quarter, he also returned a punt for 9 yards.

Twenty-eight touches. Just another day at the office.

And there also was a scare, when he came out of the game in the third quarter for a couple of plays after banging up his knee. (It resulted in rookie Tony Hunt getting windburn while failing to block a blitz, which is another matter.) But Westbrook said there was never a doubt that he was coming back. He was, it seemed, on a bit of a mission after reading what he thought were some disparaging comments from the Cowboys in the days leading up to the game.

"I think we felt like they didn't really respect us," he said. "Sometimes, when you don't respect the opponent, you get beat." *

BTW I figure Dallas was favored to win that game, so this really only impacted the FFL world, but can you imagine the firestorm if Marion Barber kneeling down on the 1 yard line was the difference in Dallas covering the spread? Gamblers would be flying off balconies all over the country!

:D

Man, interesting point. If that had affected the spread, westbrook might have had to have some plastic surgery and move to mexico for a while.

Westy taking the knee was a nine point swing for my hubby-opp. had Dallas D. Coming into tonight he was down 9 pts with A. Peterson to play-the Minny AP. Shew... he is in the SB. He was the 4th seed playing the 1st seed, a the 1st seed being a fellow Huddler. The first time he's ever made it into the post season!-he is finally getting the game figured out.

Thanks for nothing Westbrook! You cost me a spot in the finals. On the other hand, it was not a dumb move, I just think a two TD lead was sufficient at that point in the game. Here's a video of the run if anyone hasn't seen it yet:

http://fantasysportsmatrix.com/videos/bria...-against-dallas

Hey, that's fantasy. Sometimes things break your way, sometimes they don't. Good luck to all who are still in it!